Nissan Qashqai (2014)

Soldato
Looking at family wagons and got my eye on a 54plate Nissan Qashqai Tekna 1.6 DCI.

I'm struggling to find competition in this price bracket with the level of equipment Nissan offers. The Tekna has:

BiLed Headlights
360degree cameras
Lane departure / traffic sign recognition / driver fatigue
Cruise
Heated seats
Leather seats/interior trim electrinically adjustable
Panoramic roof with electronic shade
Nav
Dual zone climate

I've looked at VW, Kia, Audi, Skoda and Peugeots offerings also. But to even get HID or LED lights means going into the expensive trim levels/options.

The Qashqai is by no means Q3/Q5 plush but it's a nice enough place to be. What's the general feeling on Nissan's offering and should I seriously be considering something else? Owners reviews are polarised, seemingly some reliability and build quality issues.

I'm not committed to a SUV/crossover offering and would consider hatchback / estate if they offered the kit at the right price. 5 door and boot space is a must.

Cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I currently run an S2000. A Qashqai boot is massive in comparison :D To qualify - a Qashqai boot is plenty (1 child, pram levels of transportation requirement)

Caporegime
My step-dad has one and it's not bad, not bad at all. He literally hasn't had a single issue from it in over 2 years of ownership.

Cheap to run. Comfortable. Has a bit of poke. As you've pointed out, packed with features!

For comparison I drive a 640d.

Soldato
I always thought you were a Honda fan, the civic of the same year has a bigger boot and magic seats. Is it because of the equipment on the Nissan compared to the equivalent Civic?

Soldato
2014 = just come off 3 year lease? The local doctors has had Qashqai things for its district nurses for years now so (stereotyping here!) probably not treated very well!

Personally I think they look awful.

Soldato
OP
54 plate with that much addons? :p

Solid car the recent Qashqai. My folks have one.

Other than the metallic paint and panoramic roof everything else is included in the Tekna configuration. Whilst I am trying to look past JUST options/equipment it's a decent amount of kit. The particular one I am looking at looks in good nick and has 22,000 miles. Part of me is finding it hard to ignore the Kia Sportage which have attractive pricing, even brand new. The problem is even the better specced GT-Line models don't have Xenons nor can you spec them as an option. Seems REALLY poor for 2017 cars not to have HIDs as standard.

Soldato
OP
2014 = just come off 3 year lease? The local doctors has had Qashqai things for its district nurses for years now so (stereotyping here!) probably not treated very well!

Personally I think they look awful.

The pre facelift Qashqai's are indeed awful, I never even considered one until I saw the facelifted version which is much more modern. It's no sports car/head turned but it's not foul like a Nissan Juke is.

Soldato
OP
A petrol would be but just none of them about. Would require travel. Waiting to hear back what the local Nissan dealer can source from the UK.

Don
If running costs come into it, then double check the tyre sizes - when I looked at Qashqai+2 a couple of years ago, seem to remember the 18" wheels were a silly rare size and were £200/each, whereas the 17" wheels on the mid-range spec were significantly cheaper.

Soldato
OP
If running costs come into it, then double check the tyre sizes - when I looked at Qashqai+2 a couple of years ago, seem to remember the 18" wheels were a silly rare size and were £200/each, whereas the 17" wheels on the mid-range spec were significantly cheaper.

That's a good shout. The Tekna has 225/45/R19 W which ain't cheap but I've nit bought tyres for a long time so I'm out of the loop!

Doing some research the current model has aircon issues and uses a more expensive gas. Reports of needing it sorted every 2 years at a cost of 250 quid. The one I took out wouldn't blow cold so this is something I'd have to approach.

Soldato
We went looking at the qashqai for the ife a few weeks ago, and wanted a Tekna as my sister has one and as pointed out, the kit levels are great. I did find my sisters very uninvolving to drive and slow (1.5dci), but since the Mrs already has the Countryman and doesn't want an involving drive, the QQ seemed a good option.

However, the boot as pointed out is fairly small for us, with 2 kids and a dog, we needed something bigger. Luckily the Xtrail gives you exactly that and the Tekna model has identical kit to the qashqais and the is an (occasional) 7 seat option.

Having owned the XTRAIL for a little while I will say it's easy to drive, quiet enough and generally a nice place to be. Being critical, the satnav has no RTTI and the only useful tech is the blind spot detection and 360 cameras. If I was the main driver, I would have gone for a CX5 again, the Sport Nav model like the Tekna comes with just about everything as standard. It lacks a 360 camera, and blind spot/lane assist was an option, but the satnav is Tom Tom in earlier cars with HD traffic (needs subscription), it's far more involving to drive and has a better quality interior, certainly worth a look.

Man of Honour
We had a 2016 hire car one. With all the toys. It's a nice place to be for sure and well specced. However whilst it is large the interior didn't really live up to the external size. We put the pram in the boot and had to put our suitcases inside the car as there was no space at all. We're used to having everything fit in the boot (estate car) so was a bit of a shock.
If you don't need a pram or just have a pram for older kids the it's probably okay. Just not as practical as I thought it would have been.

Still can't argue for what you get in terms of pricing and equipment.

Don
That's a good shout. The Tekna has 225/45/R19 W which ain't cheap but I've nit bought tyres for a long time so I'm out of the loop!

Pricing on those don't look too bad, at least there is some choice in that size - thinking about it the Qashqai+2 would have been the first gen (confused because you put 54 plate, when I'm sure you meant 64 plate?), but sure it had a really rare size and so was only about 2 brands to choose from.

Soldato
OP
Well, fate seemed to have struck and I stumbled upon a Magnetic Red 1.2 DIG-T model with 7,000 miles and every single option + some accessories in Tekna trim. Glad I held out as the 1.2 petrol will be far more suited and cheaper to run than the 1.6 DCI. As nice as black looked (clean anyway) the red is a smart looking colour and will be more practical. Will post an update when I pick it up. Thanks for all the feedback!

Back
Top Bottom