No Audio Hardware

Associate
Hello all,
Just built my new setup yesterday and here are the basics:

Opteron 165
MSI K8N SLI-FI
2 GB RAM
Radeon X850

I'm running XP Pro x64 and I seem to have a problem with the onboard sound; I'm not picking it up any devices like it in device manager, although I do have one unknown device calling itself "Other PCI Bridge Device" but I don't think it's that. I have looked in BIOS and I have enabled the onboard sound and I still can't get it to see it.

I tried to install the drivers that came with the motherboard but I got an error saying something along the lines of the sound card for this driver has not been found.

Could I have blown up the soundcard when putting it all together? Could an incorrect audio pin connector give this result?

I may well buy a PCI sound card but I would like to get this fixed in the mean time. Any ideas?

Thanks

There was a large arcing that took place somewhere round the back of my pc when I was fiddling with it, it restarted the pc and everything seemed ok. That's the kind of thing that would blow the sound card no?

Well it arced when I tried to thread a cold cathode switch through where the back plate should have been. It arced once then it all cut out, everything was ok when I restarted and having not looked for the onboard sound before I do not know whether it had changed or not. It may have killed the sound card but I would have thought that something would have shown up somewhere. BIOS says that it's enabled so i just can't see what has gone wrong bar dodgy hardware or the arcing incident.

I think I'm going to buy a good and cheap PCI soundcard now, any recommendations?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom