No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

Soldato
OP
What really caught my eye in an article over on RockPaperShotgun was the lead dev saying that the chose a more Earth-like planet for the trailer so people aren't too alienated by it. Apparently as you get closer and closer to the centre of the galaxy (aim of the game), stuff starts getting more and more further removed from our perception of 'normal'

So it looks like Slough then?

Soldato
OP
dont get me wrong, I'm hugely excited for Elite Dangerous and even more so for No Mans Land, but dayum, I can't wait for Star Citizen.

I've kickstarted ED, but my concern is to create a huge living breathing and interesting universe, with lots of interesting content takes time and therefore money. SC seems to have bucket loads of money, where as ED does not.

If we liken it to wanting GTA5 in space, with lots and lots and lots of interesting details and unique content, then we clearly need a huge investment in time/money to achieve that... SC seems to have that... Just hope ED does too!

Soldato
OP
From an early child I've imagined a game that allowed you to actually fly into the planets and then back out again, with millions of different planets to explore and life forms, civilisations etc. This could be epic as I was 16 when Elite was released so I've been thinking about it for a LONG time :D

Indeed... Unless - as will probably be the case - after a couple of dozen you start to see the pattern by which they are all built...

Soldato
OP
^^ I fear this might just be more of a technical demo than a fun game. After seeing the 20th variation of common themes, will plants and animals be of any interest? Which then leaves the core gameplay... which is?

Soldato
OP
Seems very shady to be delaying the game after how many thousands of $$$ in steam pre-orders.

Given how long the game has been in development by a small core team, they should have a better grasp on when their game is ready to ship.

Go and chat to some Star Citizen customers and then complain :)

Soldato
OP
It makes it even more laughable that the guy who got the first copy is going to 'review' it. By all accounts he comes across as a complete loser. Going by the Reddit threads it sounds as if the copy was stolen and isn't even a final copy.
Bet some folks would love to know where that "copy" came from?!

Soldato
OP
I'm dubious that the result of this will be much more than them having to remove the misleading screenshots etc... not the industry-changing landmark event people seem to be hoping for, although it would be amazing if they were made an example of...

It's gamers who (still) really need to change their attitudes and practices - stop pre-ordering stuff based on hype!

*star citizen* *cough*

Soldato
OP
I must say I was duped with NMS and seen my pre-order as supporting something that was truly ground breaking. I still think it is in a way, but definitely doesn't justify the £40 I paid.

As for star citizen, I bought the cheapest package when it was on sale so i'll be out about a tenner if that goes pear shaped.

I don't really know much about NMS, so I'm only slowly catching up with the amount of mis-information there seems to have been in videos and interviews/presentations.

Going to be interesting to see what they say about that? ie: Why show things in what's supposedly gameplay footage showing things that are not in the game? And why say in interviews/presentations you can do things you cannot?

Soldato
OP
As far as I can see it although Star Citizen appears to suffer from other flaws and perhaps is being over-hyped by many, at least they're putting out builds and letting backers actually play the game as it develops...

This makes it hard or impossible for the developers to lie about existing features without getting called-out on it right away... Seems completely different to NMS (I don't have any particular allegiance to either; I like the idea of a space exploration etc. game but I haven't backed SC and didn't jump aboard the NMS hype-train either)

At least NMS is released... Yet to be seen with SC :)

Soldato
OP
Im going the find that house and reclaim £40 worth of bricks.

It is amazing watching the interviews and Sean just saying all the stuff you can do in the game.... Which by the sounds of it you can't? And all the stuff in the game... Which by the sounds of it isn't?

Soldato
OP
Just to add to the stuff posted in answer to your question, I believe NMS is a toxic brand now. It currently has less than 500 people playing at this moment and putting effort into further development would be a huge waist of time and money...

As said, I expect Hello games to gently melt away into history... all because of what was said and what was not said.....

Bye Bye Games?

Soldato
OP
What sort of graphics cards are people running this on now?
I've started a new game this week, after watching a decent lets play recently. It seems to run quite a bit worse than I remember, with the RX480 really struggling at 2560x1440 :'(.

Might be upgrade time.
Can't comment on NMS, but having upgraded from 1920x1200 to 2560x1440, my Nvidia 1070 just about cuts it. The only struggle it now seems to have is in Sandstorm, where I've dropped down to less than 50-60fps, even in medium to high detail settings... But most other games are fine at high detail level and maintain 60+fps.

Back
Top Bottom