"No network access" ethernet cable to BT Smart Hub.

Associate
Hi guys,

Got a problem! I have just bought a new ethernet cable to run from the router downstairs to the PC upstairs and after drilling it through the walls and all the rest I have found that it doesn't seem to work for whatever reason. With the cable connected to my BT Smart hub donstairs it gets picked up on my PC as being there but it states that A: its a public network and B: it has "no network access".

Using my powerline connection alongside it I can access my router settings (the cable itself otherwise cannot) and the router can't detect anything connected to it. I have made sure the cable is clean and it is otherwise working. I tested that it worked by plugging the cable into the powerline connection and then to my PC and that way my PC gets internet access.

So why is it that a direct link between my PC and the router isn't working with this cable?

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
No reason why it wouldn't work.

There's a very slim chance that your Powerline connection isn't going where you think it is. Switch your router off and make sure you don't still have an Internet connection via the Powerline adapters.

Associate
OP
Fixed it!

I did what you said and it didn't work so I figured id just do a factory reset on my router and see what happens. It turned both of them to public networks and then decided to change the correct one to a private once I took the unwanted one out.

Thanks a lot! :)

Back
Top Bottom