No network cable connected... grrrrr

Soldato
Hey all,

after a little advise, at random times my pc will looses internet connection and says 'no network cable connected'. Trouble shooting basically says the same thing...... plug a cable in. It is quite rare, maybe once a week. a quick reboot and all is well, but during a gaming session with friends it will disconnect me. i have other devices and WIFI is fine. I am using a Google WIFI setup, with a network cable from my pc straight into the Google hub. I can't really replace the cable as it is under the floor boards. so i am thinking of getting a network card, as currently using the motherboard default one. does this sound like a logical step ? drivers are all up to date. If so can anyone recommend a simple card ?

MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk
Intel 12700K
NVIDIA RTX 3070 Ti Founders Edition
Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 32GB DDR4 3600MHz
Samsung 980 PRO 1TB PCIe 4.0 M.2
Corsair RMi Series RM850i ATX

I'd start with motherboard drivers, network card drivers etc. Also check BIOS settings to make sure nothing is set there.

Next step for a new network card.

You could do a basic check of the cable using a cable tester on each end. You can check cheap ones - But this might not find anything wrong.

It will be the cable that is knackered, guaranteed. If it's under floorboards on the ground floor then it's likely been chewed.

Last edited:
it can be worth getting a cheap network cable tester (IIRC the basic "is it connected/shorted" types) start at about a fiver or so and can let you rule an obviously damaged cable out without running a replacement (the better ones at around £50+ will even tell you roughly where the cable might be damaged).

it can be worth getting a cheap network cable tester (IIRC the basic "is it connected/shorted" types) start at about a fiver or so and can let you rule an obviously damaged cable out without running a replacement (the better ones at around £50+ will even tell you roughly where the cable might be damaged).
Exactly my thoughts.

Given the cheap cost of cables, might even be worth running a temp one through the house (clipped, taped or just out of the way) then at least you know. Then you can decide on whether to do a new formal run

i picked up a new network cable and replaced the current one, it was not a bigger deal as i thought pulling the boards up was easy enough, i needed to do a repair on a radiator anyway, so that's in place now. just need to wait and see if it happens again,
Next time, run 2 cables instead. Attach one to a cheap unmanaged gigabit switch (even metal-cased 8 ports are very cheap) and then use a small patch cable from your PC to the switch. That way, you have the second run as redundancy should the main cable fail again, the patch cable between your PC and the switch is easily and cheaply serviceable, and the switch opens up 6 spare ports. Hopefully this is the end of it for you, normally this type of issue is cable-related, as others have said.

Years ago I had this issue on an Asus mobo, the fix I had was to take the power cable out, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds then power on and it fixed the issue.

Cheers guys. I am pretty confident drivers are good. I have uninstalled, used the the windows ones as well as the intel updater.

At the moment it's been fine since Wednesday, fingers crossed. If it fails again I will pick up a standalone network card

Back
Top Bottom