No new hours given despite they start Sunday

Soldato
Work for a supermarket. Changes in policy will mean the times to do reductions will be later in the day. Nobody has been given new hours/signed contracts. This is annoying everybody with the lack of notice as some have to deal with care with either elderly parents, children or grandchildren.

Now I have handed in my notice in earlier this week. I'm on annual leave from 4th Oct to 15th Oct as booked leave - for a foreign holiday. Work are unsure if I need to keep working my current contract hours which 3 days out 5 I am unable to do reductions. Or get told what hours and days to work.

Its badly planned. I need to know as its affecting my anxiety and have things planned on my scheduled days off - some where planned 2 months ago.

Now I have handed in my notice in earlier this week. I'm on annual leave from 4th Oct to 15th Oct as booked leave - for a foreign holiday. Work are unsure if I need to keep working my current contract hours which 3 days out 5 I am unable to do reductions. Or get told what hours and days to work.

Not your problem then.

Also, it's not clear what you mean by "I am unable to do reductions" - what does doing reductions mean and why would you need to do reductions when on holiday?

Sorry
Reductions can only be done after a certain time in the day. Three out the 5 days I work (current contract hours) I finish at the same time when reductions can start.

Plus my notice period covers the time when I have booked annual leave (confirmed by a manager in mid December). So my last day my contract ends is Oct 15th. Though my last working day is Oct 2nd

I'm not sure why you'd hand your notice in?

If your job is to do reductions, but they've changed when reductions occur to outside your hours, then surely they have to find you another job role? (or they've made you redundant?)

Truth be, you'll continue to get messed about, management won't care enough to feedback upwards to their superiors, and you will remain stressed.

Cease all communication with them outside of work, block their numbers, work your hours. If you can't work the new hours, explain that the notice period is unreasonable, and that's all you're prepared to do.

If you're leaving, it really doesn't matter anyway. Stand your ground as that's the only option.

I'm not sure why you'd hand your notice in?

If your job is to do reductions, but they've changed when reductions occur to outside your hours, then surely they have to find you another job role? (or they've made you redundant?)
I am also leaving due to the horrible bully called the store manager. He has made me extremely upset and discriminated me against my disability. Done the same with other colleagues. Ten colleagues have left because of his behaviour - will be number 11 when I go. Store manager has been in the store since the spring. He had similar ratio of colleagues leaving at his previous store. My previous store manager was fantastic - accommodating with our problems, understood personal problems etc. He wanted to leave as he lived 65 miles away. Got a store about 15 miles from home. Current store manager has zero concerns about our lives outside work. Glad no one at the moment, has lost a parent or partner as he would not care.

Myself and other colleagues have raised grievances against him - had a meeting with someone higher up and nothing further. Even customers complained to the customer service number and raised complaints about the manner he speaks to us on the shop floor. But head office thinks he is excellent. Excellent in making staff upset and leave. That's it. Not qualities that makes an excellent manager. He then boasts that it took him an hour and a half to put the produce out. He doesn't rotate anything or work through overs first. We waste time in rotating stuff. For example, we found four crates of bagged carrots with 2 days on them in warehouse. Yet on the shop floor, the cases were 5 days on them. Then tells us off for wasting time. We dare not say to him - you don't rotate as otherwise, he threatens staff with disciplinaries.

I feel sorry for those colleagues in their late 50s - early 60s who can't leave as employment prospects for them is very limited (I'm early 40s) and those who need to finish their shift(s) due to care for dependants and collecting children and grandchildren from school.

He has made me extremely upset and discriminated me against my disability.

If you haven't, you should have taken this up with ACAS for advice, because if you've been discriminated against for a disability and you can prove it, you can take them to the cleaners.

I know it's easier said than done, but giving in to people like that and quitting is a really bad decision. You have to stand up for yourself and hold them to account. It's clear that your employer doesn't want to do anything about it, so employees need to take it external rather than raising grievances.

Last edited:
Sounds like a small store if the store manager is personally giving out petty orders and disciplinary meetings. But that would also mean there's no other authority except going over his head to regional or head office which is awkward if he's the one you have a problem with.

Also that the staff of the store should, if they're not, join the union.

Got hours slightly adjusted to accommodate the new reductions window.

Hang on - you were getting stressed because, in the couple of weeks notice period where you'll still be working there (before taking a holiday) on 3 of the days the time at which the yellow reduced stickers get put on the food has changed and you might have to do some other task in the store?

But now you're OK because you've adjusted your hours to put the yellow stickers on still instead of doing some other task, during your notice period, for 3 days?

Not being funny or anything, just trying to get that right as I didn't understand what you originally meant in the OP. But also, it seems like a very minor thing to get stressed over, especially if it's causing you anxiety.

I'd recommend perhaps reading this book:

I mean ultimately it's your notice period and we're talking about a few days - you shouldn't need to care about any of that, that's not me saying notice periods should be a doss, obviously handing over to colleagues etc.. is important. But worrying about something as trivial as whether you're going to get to put the yellow stickers on stuff rather than help out on the tills or stack shelves to the point where it's causing you anxiety is not healthy.

Last edited:
Hang on - you were getting stressed because, in the couple of weeks notice period where you'll still be working there (before taking a holiday) on 3 of the days the time at which the yellow reduced stickers get put on the food has changed and you might have to do some other task in the store?

But now you're OK because you've adjusted your hours to put the yellow stickers on still instead of doing some other task, during your notice period, for 3 days?

Not being funny or anything, just trying to get that right as I didn't understand what you originally meant in the OP. But also, it seems like a very minor thing to get stressed over, especially if it's causing you anxiety.

I'd recommend perhaps reading this book:

I mean ultimately it's your notice period and we're talking about a few days - you shouldn't need to care about any of that, that's not me saying notice periods should be a doss, obviously handing over to colleagues etc.. is important. But worrying about something as trivial as whether you're going to get to put the yellow stickers on stuff rather than help out on the tills or stack shelves to the point where it's causing you anxiety is not healthy.
Its not just that - its the horrible store manager who makes our lives a complete misery. See post 12.

Also rude and sexist customers. Please don't mention retired customers who insist on shopping on Saturday mornings. "oh its busy" (duh) Even working aged customers are fed up with them.

My parents are retired and don't shop on Saturday mornings.

I appreciate that the workplace itself has been stressful and you've mentioned the store manager being terrible to work with, obviously there are limits and an inherently stressful situation like that isn't on you, anyone can end up stressed in a toxic workplace for sure and there aren't necessarily good ways of rationalising or coping with that, exiting that sort of environment is for sure a good move.

All I meant to suggest is that if additional things like this are triggering anxiety too then that's the sort of stuff you can work on in your own head, obvs the major stuff does need to be handled by moving jobs or the manager leaving etc.. but if the small things are triggering stuff then that's stuff that you can try to learn to cope with.

Back
Top Bottom