No post after RAM upgrade

Soldato
Just upgraded the RAM in a machine and now getting no post (ie fans spin up, turns on forever, but no signal out).

New RAM is Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15R Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz
Existing motherboard is MSI X99S SLI Plus

I've turned everything off, removed the CMOS battery, and cleared the CMOS jumpers as well but nada. RAM is in the correct slots as per the manual (DIMMS1 and 5).

Help!

Soldato
Have you tried one stick at a time? one of the sticks of ram could be faulty.

if this works then try two sticks in and see if it still boots and so on

Last edited:
Associate
Use the sticks of RAM independently to see if they boot to POST.

Check your Motherboard's manual to see what sockets they need to be pug in - often RAM needs to be in 1,3 or 2,4 sockets when in pairs.

Associate
Have you tried one stick at a time? one of the sticks of ram could be faulty.

if this works then try two sticks in and see if it still boots and so on

I would try this and see if you can isolate a possible faulty stick.

OP, did you just add the new DRAM kit to an existing set of RAM already installed in your system?

Man of Honour
I would try this and see if you can isolate a possible faulty stick.

OP, did you just add the new DRAM kit to an existing set of RAM already installed in your system?

This for sure.. make sure you try the sticks in individual banks as well as a stick may fail in one but not the other which points to a fault in the mobo.. However, as this is an upgrade then it must have been working in the first place so it does sound like RAM. Check the motherboards website also for any BIOS updates, making sure you are on the latest version.

There's a RAM diagnostics guide in the Memory section should you need any further help.

Back
Top Bottom