No post with new GPU

Associate
System in my sig but without the 580 GTX as it stopped working 6 months ago. Been using integrated graphics just to hold me over but got a RX 460 as Rocket League was becoming unplayable.

System will not post with RX 460 in either PCI-Express slot. The fan on the card does spin but with very little force. No output at all to monitor using various output slots. Have tried resetting BIOS with no luck.

I'm worried it might be a PSU issue, I've not got a 2nd computer (to try GPU in) or a 2nd PSU. Any idea's on what to try before I try a new PSU as would prefer not to have to spend as not in the best financial position. Thanks

EDIT: **System in sig = Kuhler 620 is actually gone and replaced with a Corsair A50**

Soldato
I similar issues with an older 1155 socket motherboard though with RX 470/480s. In the BIOS I disabled UEFI boot options so the GPU used legacy boot code and that got it working though you may not see any cold boot screens until Windows loads a driver.

BIOS update may also help of course.

Associate
OP
I tried a BIOS update as the newest one was recommended for IvyBridge & GPU Compatibility and even though I have SandyBridge I found other forums saying about how that had helped them with SB & RX 460. No improvement on this side though after trying it.

All NVidia drivers are uninstalled and BIOS set to PCI-E. I'll go check UEFI settings.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Associate
OP
Update: Still no post with UEFI boot options disabled. My brother has my old Q6600 LGA775 setup so I'm going to try and get round there to at least test the card by itself so see if it's the pc or GPU issue.

Further Update: GPU works fine on the old LGA775 board. Grabbed the PSU out of that (Lepa 500W) and tried it with my rig and the fan spins more consistently but still no post. Is there motherboard compatibility issues? Just don't want to get another 1155 mobo and same issue occur. Should I return GPU and try another model? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
System in my sig but without the 580 GTX as it stopped working 6 months ago.

Did you conclusively prove it was the card that failed and not the slot/PSU etc?

What were the symptoms of its demise?

I tried a BIOS update as the newest one was recommended for IvyBridge & GPU Compatibility and even though I have SandyBridge I found other forums saying about how that had helped them with SB & RX 460. No improvement on this side though after trying it.

All NVidia drivers are uninstalled and BIOS set to PCI-E. I'll go check UEFI settings.

This would have been my advice as the updates throw more juice at the PCIe and are about resolving compatibility issues - as I too had to do a similar BIOS update on a P67 board - with loads of threads on bricking the MB - but it flashed OK and once I set the board up it sorted all my issues. And has done with other flavoured boards too, using AMD gfx cards. You've been particularly unlucky in that this hasn't sorted your problem.

That's the reason I quoted the above about your GTX 580 - if you binned the card without testing in another rig it starts to put the MB or the PSU in the spotlight.

Additional: have you tried a different cable and all available flavours of output?

Soldato
It's frustrating but it's looking like the GPU is just not going to play ball with that motherboard.

I was going to suggest disabling driver signing in Windows but if the GPU just refuses to boot that won't work anyway.

You could flash it with another GPU BIOS depending on the card :) but easier to RMA it if you can.

Man of Honour
What gpu does your brother have and could you try that in your system ? If his gpu works in your system its compatability.

If not then looks like your mobo.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Did you conclusively prove it was the card that failed and not the slot/PSU etc?

What were the symptoms of its demise?

This would have been my advice as the updates throw more juice at the PCIe and are about resolving compatibility issues - as I too had to do a similar BIOS update on a P67 board - with loads of threads on bricking the MB - but it flashed OK and once I set the board up it sorted all my issues. And has done with other flavoured boards too, using AMD gfx cards. You've been particularly unlucky in that this hasn't sorted your problem.

That's the reason I quoted the above about your GTX 580 - if you binned the card without testing in another rig it starts to put the MB or the PSU in the spotlight.

Additional: have you tried a different cable and all available flavours of output?

I had artifacts on screen with the GPU and then it refused to power on. I tried in it a friends beefier rig and the GPU still refused to do anything. On my rig, I ran Prime95 to test CPU, ran windows RAM tests, got PSU power level checker out to check the psu and assumed as they all came back okay that it was just the GPU. The system is 5 years old which was something I hadn't realised so it is showing it's age. I've also tried various cables and different outputs with no luck.

Going to try to get my hands on a GPU to try and see if it's the PCI-E slots just not working, or down to not enough power to them or maybe compatibility.

Associate
OP
What gpu does your brother have and could you try that in your system ? If his gpu works in your system its compatability.

If not then looks like your mobo.

My brother did have a GTX 460 in it as I used it for gaming before giving it to him but as he only plays football manager so it was too loud. He's only got a Asus GeForce GT 710 in it now. I realised last night I should grab it and check it as it would at least show if the PCI-E slots are completely done. If that's not the case then I'm down to power supply issues (through PSU/Mobo) or compatibility.

Last edited:
Soldato

No problem - you're certainly trying your damdest to solve the issue.

This may seem a bit inconsequential but did you clear the CMOS after the BIOS update?

With my p67 motherboard I thought the update hadn't done the job - but after I did a 'belt and braces' CMOS reset - and reapplied settings it accepted the card - and that was with an r9 280x which draws significantly more power than the 460.

Admittedly it's a long shot but may be worth a try if not already tried.

Back
Top Bottom