No school placement for September - what do we do?

Associate
Hi there,

Our eldest daughter has been bullied by the same group of girls for many years, and the school has failed to resolve it. As a result, we removed our daughter and her younger sister from primary school at the end of the last term (before the summer holidays)

Before doing this, we applied to another local school and had a tour by the head teacher. We were told there were places (1 in each child year group), and there should be no reasons why the girls won't get in. On Friday 21st, the council phoned us to say our younger daughter had successfully secured a place, but our eldest (who is being bullied), has been rejected due to the place being filled by an application the school weren't aware of. They informed me of the appeal process and advised me to submit another application as the people who had been offered the place haven't yet responded. However, they warned me that nothing happens over the six weeks holidays, and I won't hear anything now until the start of September and the appeal hearings arent until the end of September.

We don't want our daughter to return to the school where she was unsafe and scared to attend. What can we do during the holidays to resolve this? All schools are closed and the council don't deal with any applications or appeals during this time.

As you can imagine, this is very stressful for us. The headteacher said during our visit that if we have any issues, we can appeal, and they can take an additional child above their quota; however, the appeals are handled by three independent individuals, so I'm unsure how much power the school has. Also, it is my eldest daughter's last year at primary school, and the thought of her missing four weeks, whilst me and her mum both work full time, is extremely worrying.

Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom