Noah Mini-itx case

Soldato
£200-300 ideally

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm not interested in a BD drive, can copy or play HD content etc. from the HDD and/or via WiFi/LAN from my PC :)

EDIT2: I have a WinTV PCI card that I want to migrate to this box, and the 'Fly Creek' only has a 1xPCI-e slot on it. Also costs more than the Jetway.

Priority = Cost -> Power -> Noise

Last edited:
Soldato
Ahhh righto! I'd imagine the AMD approach is probably best since the 780G mobo is a cracker from what i've heard.

Not too sure about HD playback on an Atom 330 dual core but my GF's machine is connected to a 24" Hyundai so i can give 1080 a go for you if you like.

Wouldn't hold out much hope though - it is good but not a monstrous powerhouse of a machine.

gt

Soldato
Soldato
Sorry slightly OT is the DG45FC ok in the Noah case?
Looking at the height of the NB heatsink as well as the height of the wolfdale stock cooler i'd say yes.

Using a laptop HDD rather than a full sized unit would help airflow around the cooler a bit though!

@ Skyboat: Tried 720p and 1080p last night. Plays 720p without a hitch. 1080p does stutter a bit (i'm only using windows media player with 1080p WMV's) but with decent decoding software i think it might 'just' do it.

gt

Associate
I'm thinking about getting one of these cases to go with a DG45FC (Fly Creek) motherboard. My question is which one of these cases would best suite the cpu that I'm going to use (an E8600 e0 stepping badboy).

I'm mainly worried about heat and how many watts the PSU should be? The Noah's got a 80/90W psu.. would that be enough to power the mobo, cpu and one hard disk? (won't be using any other peripherals like optical or usb stuff).

Soldato
If you don't clock it (no need really) then i'd be surprised if the whole system (including ram, hd and dvdrw/BR drive) pushed past 80 watts.

Mine is 55w idle, 65w playing HD and 79w full tilt.

System is: e7200, 2gb DDR2, 60gb lappy hdd and a lappy dvdrw.

If you need more then get a 90 or 120 watt PICO psu.

gt

Last edited:
Associate
Aye gonna stick to the 780G I think. The Jetway + a 4850e should be pretty lean.

My specs that I tallied up last night were:

160 GB Seagate ST9160821AS Momentus 5400.3
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4850e
2Gb DDR2 SO-DIMM
Slot-loading DVD-RW
Jetway JNC81-LF AM2 780G
http://www.google.co.uk/product_url...8SaDQ&sig2=OvmroV65YOOzklGEQTED1g&gl=uk&hl=enNoah Mini-ITX Silver

Comes to about £300

Need a low-profile HSF though!

Did you get this setup with the Noah? What are your experiences?
I'm thinking about something very similar, but with a Jetway NC62K (GeForce 8200 chipset), and the AMD 5050e.

Does anyone know if the Noah, with a 2.5" HDD installed, has room for a Zalman CNPS8700 CPU cooler?
http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=168
Dimensions 120(L) x 123(W) x 67(H) mm
No motherboard components such as the PSU, disk drives, VGA card, and RAM with a height greater than 39mm should be present within a 61.5mm radius from the center of the CPU.

Soldato
Hey dude

I've ordered everything but the case so far, since I really like the look of the InWIN BM639 over the Noah, but the only place that's stocking it at non-ripoff prices has been out of stock for over a month now :/

Specs changed a little, got a 320Gb WD Blue Scorpio instead and a Sempron LE-1100 on the cheap. Also bought the Jetway low-profile cooler together with the motherboard; I hope it's worth it, since there's no photos of it anywhere on the net so I'll take my own for everyone to see :p

Out of curiousity, what made you pick the NC62K over the NC81-LF?

Associate
Hey dude

I've ordered everything but the case so far, since I really like the look of the InWIN BM639 over the Noah, but the only place that's stocking it at non-ripoff prices has been out of stock for over a month now :/

Specs changed a little, got a 320Gb WD Blue Scorpio instead and a Sempron LE-1100 on the cheap. Also bought the Jetway low-profile cooler together with the motherboard; I hope it's worth it, since there's no photos of it anywhere on the net so I'll take my own for everyone to see :p

Out of curiousity, what made you pick the NC62K over the NC81-LF?

The InWin BM639 looks nice as well, I like that you can also fit a 3.5" card reader, and the 80mm fan is easier to replace.

According to Tom's Hardware the Nvidea 8200 and AMD 780 chipsets are almost tied when it comes to media playback, with a slight edge for the 780 because of power consumption:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-nvidia-chipset,1972-24.html

I also read somewhere on Tom's Hardware (I think it was a comparison of the Nvidea 9300 and 8200 and AMD 780 chipsets, but I can't find it anymore), that the 8200 is better at outputting at 24fps, but my tv doesn't support that anyways :p

I'll be running XBMC on the system I want to build. The XBMC developers are currently looking at Nvidea VDPAU GPU acceleration. If that's actually going to be implemented then the 8200 has a big advantage over the 780 (if the 8200 makes it to the final list of supported chipsets that is).

But the most important reason is that where I live I can get the NC62K for ~95 euro and the NC81-LF for ~135 euro :p

I'm actually not in a hurry to build my system, I'm waiting for the XBMC developers to sort out some kinks in the windows version. Until then my old xbox works pretty well :)

Associate
Hello,

For anyone who has the Noah Mini ITX case, I was wondering how much space (in terms of height) is available under the top hard drive/optical drive tray is?

I'm building a new HTPC and I'd like to replace the 40mm heatsink fan on my motherboard for a larger slower 80mm fan, however I'm not sure whether there's enough space in the case to do so.

Thanks,
Jon

Back
Top Bottom