Nobody Wants To Die (detective noir FPS, UE5, released today)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour

Another Unreal engine 5 game released today. It's a detective noir FPS game. tried it out on Steam for 1 hour as it's only £17 and whilst some bits are fun, the control mechanics are quite convoluted and tedious, they also get dragged out at length to the point I just didn't want to do that stuff any more much like the case board in Alan Wake 2, or the Braindance segments in Cyberpunk.

Visually it's very nice in places, and the torch looks realistic which is cool. The retro Cyberpunk atmosphere combined elements of Fallout/Starfield/Cyberpunk 2077 and Bioshock. There are hints of Max Payne and Alan Wake in the monologue bits, too.

Some of the dialogue with NPCs is funny too and it's the first time I've seen the concept of a shared apartment bathroom which you call and then it comes to your apartment has been put to effective use lol.

I refunded it as the tedious detective mechanics got too annoying.

Shame as it looked like a cool world to explore otherwise.

Performance wise, there is no Frame Gen, only FSR and DLSS for upscaling along with DLAA, it says DLSS 3.5 but there's no Ray Reconstruction, and no RR dll file in the game folder either, it ships with DLSS upscaler version 3.7, so why they call it DLSS 3.5 in the settings is a mystery... ON a 4090 at 4K it's sub 60fps using DLAA, sub 80fps using DLSS Quality, and 100fps or a bit above using DLSS Performance. Apart from some minor edge aliasing on all DLSS options, all modes look similar otherwise, so just use DLSS Performance to claw back those frames. This is at the default Epic settings

Screenies:
4RwVW4p.jpeg

XmIWILV.jpeg

7OuJCKY.jpeg

KtYMk9M.jpeg

diCjR5h.jpeg

7ypyTld.jpeg

mt4LWVb.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks fantastic, but I can see how narrative detective walking sim ain't everybody's cup of tea. I will definitely get it...eventually. Too busy with others games at the moment.

Man of Honour
Does look great but personally just don't have time for games with convoluted mechanics these days so probably won't bother with it :(

Associate
Put 3 hours into this last night and its great? Yeah, you have to be into a pure detective/walking simulator type of game, but I actually found all the various tools/process to go through really intutitive. Don't get the tedious mechanics point at all, but each to their own.

Back
Top Bottom