Noctua fans are brown?!

Associate
FG-002-NC_400.jpg

does that look brown or dark red w/white surround? ^

i thought it was the latter :(
here is what they actually looks like:

noc.jpg

sry just not a fan of brown (hehe see what i did there?).

Soldato
Paint it then? :p

Although it is a rather strange choice of colour, how is the fan itself? (Supposed to be better than nexus for noise/airflow, had better be for ethe price as well!)

Soldato
Looks like the white balance (or something) was wrong when the original photo was taken, horrible colour though, beige and dark brown, looks like the inside of an NHS psychiatric hospital.

Associate
OP
literally just opened the boxes, but will test 'em later. tbh i'm reasonaby happy with my sharkoon fans but had to give these a try. had some Yateloons, and some Ambers which bere both a lot noiser (annoyingly so) than the Sharkoons. Let's see how these compaire :) i also have a sharkoon 2000 which i'd like to test on my fan controller, to see how noisy it is at full whack in comparison.

the fans are supposed to be for the case, but becasue ive a window, i'm not sure if i'm gonna like them simply because of the colour. guess they might be on the MM soon :p

Soldato
What is it with quiet fans and nasty colours?
We've got the nexus/d12sl12 in 'asbo orange' and now these things in rotting shrimp pink with brown blades...

I'm also interested to know if these things are worth the money. I can get two d12s for the price of one of these...
SPCR said:
A close analysis of the data showed that, rotation for rotation, the Noctua fans pushed about 20% more air than the rest of the fans in the test.
20% is quite a bit though.

Associate
OP
well i've gotta say these appear to be fine fans indeed :)

just compairing with the sharkoon 1000 atm (using the blue 5.25" zalman fan controller btw), the airflow seems greater by far, it's not even close. i got both fans and put one next to each ear, you can clearly hear the Noc is louder upto about 3 inches away (airflow noise not motor), but any further away than that and i cant hear it above my system noise.

the full speed sharkoon pushes more air than the Noc on lowest speed (to be expected), but there is not much difference. the Noc is far superior if both are on full, but as i said you can hear the air flowing if you have your head next to it.

colour aside, these are damn good IMHO :cool:

also tested today...

Akasa blower / exhaust fan
hmm too noisy. always that strange motor noise with blower fans :/ . but i really need something to get rid of the heat from my gfx card. however this is not going in my system.

Akasa AK-1704RDS Crystal 80mm 4x Red LED Fan
to replace the stock fan in my Lian Li EX-23B HDD Bay which is currently keeping my Raptor quiet :D, attached to fan controller switch (off 5v and 12v), which worked out better than i expected. 5v is silent and the LED's dont come on. and 12v which is pretty quiet and the LED's come on, and subtley shines through the front grill of the bay.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
also comes with this stuff, if anyone was thinking of buying one.

noc2.jpg

the lookie like extension cable is a Ultra Low Noise Adaptor, the box says the noise is < 6dB with it attached :eek: . i presume it puts it on a stupidly slow rpm

Soldato
P_A_N_I_C said:
also comes with this stuff, if anyone was thinking of buying one.

the lookie like extension cable is a Ultra Low Noise Adaptor, the box says the noise is < 6dB with it attached :eek: . i presume it puts it on a stupidly slow rpm
500rpm apparently. And 6db is utter BS as usual, totally meaningless. In reality its about 19dba, which is very quiet.
I can't believe they go to the trouble of spending a lot of money on r&d to design a really good fan rather than getting an oem to do it and they still lie about the noise levels.

P_A_N_I_C said:
also tested today...

Akasa blower / exhaust fan
hmm too noisy. always that strange motor noise with blower fans :/ . but i really need something to get rid of the heat from my gfx card. however this is not going in my system.
I've got one of those, its rubbish, very noisy.

Its not usually motor noise, its the air whooshing across the blades, unfortunately most blower fans tend to sound like this. Plus they tend to have rubbishy motors. I have seen some very quiet blower fans, but only in oem machines.

Last edited:
Associate
I've got two of the Noctua fans and think they are excellent. I particularly like the small rubber mountings which reduce vibration noise, especially if you have a steel case.

Back
Top Bottom