Noise Cancelling Headphones

Soldato
Hey all,

Been researching into getting my mum a pair of good noise cancelling headphones. She has a limit of £100 and I've had a look at a few reviews but they only seem to have pairs at just under £100 or £200-300. Does anyone have any personal experience with headphones sub £100 that offer the best noise cancelling?

Cheers

Soldato
OP
Sadly, good noise cancelling headphones aren't cheap. There are a couple around the £100 mark from Sony, and although Sony also make the 1000X, which have excellent noise cancellation, these cheaper models don't compare really.

Philips SHB8850 have appeared on a best lower budget noise cancelling headphones list, but trusted reviews gave them 2.5/5 and said the noise cancelling is lacklustre. I've seen similar comments about the £100 Sony's. Some say the noise cancelling works well, other people say it's poor.

£100 on wired headphones, is not all that much for a good pair really; not when the are many higher end headphones costing several hundreds to a thousand and more. Sony MDR-1A are a good example. Once you add wireless and noise cancelling technologies, you either end up with them costing three times as much, like the MDR-1000X in the case of good noise cancelling headphones, or the quality suffers all round for headphones costing £100, because everything used has to be that much cheaper to meet the budget.

Just adding Bluetooth to a good pair of headphones will double it's cost, let alone adding noise cancellation as well, which is harder to do well on a lesser budget.

What kind of environment will the headphones be used in?

Are both wireless and noise cancelling necessities?

You'd stand a better chance of getting decent wireless headphones for £100 without noise cancelling. Closed back headphones might do a good enough job of noise isolating, without the need for noise cancellation. Does depend on where the headphones will be used though.

Hey thanks for the help, I didn't mention Wireless so not sure where you picked that up from. Wired is fine, it's essentially to help drown out the sound of the TV (my parents are old) so she can watch stuff on the tablet, i've given her a pair of Creative Live Aurvana's in the interim which work okay, but not really designed to cancel noise. Sub £100 wired is fine for us.

Back
Top Bottom