Non-Christian dating a Christian

Soldato
Hey all :)

Firsty, I would like to say hello again after a few months of not being on here (due to various reasons).

The problem I'm facing is that me and this girl want to be in a relationship together. Everything has been going perfectly for us apart from one thing. She is a Christian so it is not exactly right for her to date a non-christian (see the quote below). Was looking for advice really, any would be appreciated :)

Thanks

2 Corinthians 6:14 said:
Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

Soldato
OP
Theres also the pressure from her parents and other family - being 17 seems to take that effect sometimes :p

edit:
Platypus said:
Does she follow every scripture so strictly in every aspect of her life?

Shes not a 'strict' christian, as above, its mainly pressure from family etc

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice so far guys, think i'll have to have a lil chat with her tonight. The only thing I don't want to do is say something like "your being silly" or I don't want to go against her beliefs in any way.

As for her family, I get along well with them, and ended up going to church for morning and evening sessions for the last two weeks with them (something I haven't done since I was 2 :p )

Soldato
OP
Tru said:
Given that she's only 17 you really should respect her parents wishes or beliefs. The other option is to encourage her to rebel, but that's up to you.
I do respect them, and am definatly not going to encourage her to rebel.

Has anyone on here been in a smiliar situation?

Soldato
OP
CF93 said:
I have a couple of friends who are married where one is and one is not a Christian. The wife is and always has been a Christian, her husband was always very anti-religion (and very anti-royal family amongst other things) and not afraid to say so. They've been married a few years, have a little girl, the wife is still a Christian, the husband still is not but is more accepting than he used to be. They have a very good marriage.

When I first met my now-wife she was a Christian and I was not. It was a real issue for her, and we split up after a very short time (in fact she quoted the same verse.) Things change, look into it all - you might find that actually it makes a lot of sense and is the way forward for you.
Thanks, a lot of help :) Do you know how your friend (the wife) feels towards marrying a non-christian and what her reasons for it being ok are?

Soldato
OP
Squark said:
To the OP I'd say this:

If you do start a relationship, please please please don't try to stop her from living as a Christian, or try to get her to do things that go against what she believes.

I'm not saying that you would,
but please be aware that it would put great pressure on her

im not, if anything I've been encouraging her to follow what she believes. I've talked to her about beliefs when she's wanted to, I go to church with her whenever she goes and i'm with her.... etc etc If one of us would change so we could be together, I wouldn't let her be the one to.

Soldato
OP
ok, i think i've decided what i'm going to do.

i'm just going to let time decide what happens. maybe something will happen that makes me turn to God, maybe it won't, and maybe she'll change her mind - who knows!?

Im just hoping that it'll turn out for the best.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and advice. :)

Back
Top Bottom