• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Noob help - scratched CPU?

Man of Honour
Hello.

My 5950x arrived this morning and, without opening the packaging, I observed what appears to be some sort of scratch on the heatspreader. Quite hard to take a photo of it:

rSsMIKv.jpg

It might just be a bit of fluff... not sure! But I think it is a scratch. Can’t tell for certain without opening the packaging.

I’m loathed to send this back over a ‘cosmetic only’ issue... but I lack the experience to know whether this is a legitimate issue or not.

Assuming this is a scratch, is this prone to make it faulty, or is this (in all likelihood) a complete non-issue?

Thanks.

Associate
Do you mean that little mark below the letters MD of the AMD logo at the top left?

If so, it looks pretty tiny. Don't forget this is just the heatspreader, so thermal paste would make that no problem even if it is a scratch, it would be filled in. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks chaps / chapettes. I’m extremely cautious (perhaps unduly but this CPU was very expensive) so the more opinions come in... the more sleep I shall get at night, if anyone else would be so kind as to weigh in!!

Thanks again.

Man of Honour
If the package is sealed and pristine then it wouldn't bother me, but if the box looks like it's been tampered with, or there are signs of use on the IHS (where heatsink has been fitted before), then I'd be concerned.

Caporegime
Its tiny and nowhere near any of the chips, it will make 0 difference.

upto you but if it was me as long as its working as it should i wouldn't bother RMA'ing it or anything, too much hassle for something that isn't going to matter at all :)

Permabanned
I have had CPU's sealed in retail box with marks where it looks like the Clamp holds them down, I assumed its tested in factory in some sort of machine not necessarily a person putting a CPU in a Mobo socket each time.

Soldato
Cosmetic only and won't affect anything.

However, keep this discussion in your favorites as proof that the CPU arrived like that, just in case you need to make a future warranty claim for an unrelated matter.

Man of Honour
Assuming it is a pitted scratch/chip like that - I've never seen that kind of imperfection so far in a new CPU - some machining marks yes but they are usually so shallow you can barely feel with your nail if that.

Man of Honour
OP
Sooooo yeah. I’m a big believer in fessing up when I’ve been a nob.

Turns out the CPU is perfect and it was a spec on the internal packaging after all.

lgwJxG1.jpg

Derp :o

Back
Top Bottom