Noob OC Question

Associate
My old motherboard died 2 years ago and I had to replace it but my previous CPU was the wrong socket and basically too old for the new board so I bought myself a really cheap CPU (Athlon 2 x3) .. when I got home and put it in the new board low and behold it automatically unlocked to a Phenom 2 B40 x4 3.0...
This year I have been spending cash on a new build on a very strict budget, long story short Iv ran out of cash for now and still have a couple of pieces to get for the system so in the mean time I was going to run my CPU in the new system until such times as I can afford to replace it...

My question is with this being an unlocked Athlon 2 and is only supposed to be running 3 cores instead of 4 would it be advisable to try and overclock it (and if yes would it be worth it) or should I leave it alone till I can change the CPU?

Associate
OP
Well there's not much reason not to overclock it a bit if your temperatures are currently fine.

In fairness I have a brand new Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev.2 siiting in the box waiting to be fitted ....
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-038-AR

I also have a new PSU (Corsair AX760), 2 cheap Asus GTX 560ti that I bought second hand, a brand new Crossfire Formula-Z motherboard ...
The only parts I wont be replacing just now will be taken from my old machine and they will be my hard drives my CPU and my memory... I will be upgrading to an SSD for a boot disc and adding to the 4gb 1600 ripjaws I have atm and CPU as soon as I get the cash... but as I said it will take a bit of time now to get there.

Back
Top Bottom