Noob Q - Temp upgrade

Soldato
As with some other posters I need to upgrade for Oblivion. Havent got the cash for a full PCI-E re-spec till christmas time so would this work?

Current Spec:
Athlon 64 3200+ (S754)
Asus K8V SE Deluxe (Note 3 RAM slots)
2 x 512MB Geil Golden Dragon PC3200 Cas 2.5 (Discontinued)
Radeon 9800 Pro

Possible upgrade:
GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS2.5
BFG GeForce 7800 GS OC 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP)
Subtotal: £270.14

Would that work, ie give me 2GB of Ram and a decent card bumping up my graphical ability a bit, or are we talking a nightmare with mixing Ram? It only needs last till xmas then i'd flog the lot on ebay and buy a good 2k upgrade.

Cheers in advance.

Soldato
Sleepless said:
Would that work, ie give me 2GB of Ram and a decent card bumping up my graphical ability a bit, or are we talking a nightmare with mixing Ram? It only needs last till xmas then i'd flog the lot on ebay and buy a good 2k upgrade.
The videocard is the fastest AGP card you can buy (it is a little faster than a X850XT)

I would advise against mixing RAM and filling all three slots on the mobo, it might work but can also give you an unstable system or a non-booting system.

Soldato
OP
Dutch Guy said:
The videocard is the fastest AGP card you can buy (it is a little faster than a X850XT)

I would advise against mixing RAM and filling all three slots on the mobo, it might work but can also give you an unstable system or a non-booting system.

cheers, might just have to splash out on 2gb.

Associate
That Graphics card will be just fine for oblivion i reckon :)
As for the RAM i would wait and see how happy you are running oblivion with 1gig, it will more than likely be ok. Of course 2gig would be better, but i would spend the money on a nice meal and a few drinks for you and a friend :)

Albaba

Soldato
Albaba said:
That Graphics card will be just fine for oblivion i reckon :)
As for the RAM i would wait and see how happy you are running oblivion with 1gig, it will more than likely be ok. Of course 2gig would be better, but i would spend the money on a nice meal and a few drinks for you and a friend :)
I agree, keep 1gb for now as the new systems form AMD and Intel will use DDR2 which is incompatible with DDR

Back
Top Bottom