Not up on memory things!- help with replacement/upgrades?

Associate
Hi all

Have desktop with a Asus PRIME Z270-A motherboard with currently 32gb (x4 8gb) crucial DDR4-2133 memory. I want to up this if possible to assist running 3D Modelling, Rendering and graphics software. Was thinking swapping out x2 of the 8gb for x2 16gb so I'll be running 48gb in a 8-8-16-16 configuration. I understand it's best to pair them?

I only have basic knowledge of this sort of thing!

Can you give me any tips on getting the best out of my system and recommend the memory i should be going for? Actually worthwhile upgrades with the software above in mind would be great too.

Any help would be ace!

Cheers all.

O.

Few system details:

ASUS PCE-N15 300Mbps
Crucial 8GB DDR4 2133MHz
Samsung EVO 850 250GB
Cooler Master B600 Power
Microsoft Windows 10
NZXT S340 Mid Tower Case
Seagate BarraCuda (2TB)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060
Intel Core i5-7600K
ASUS PRIME Z270-A Socket

Soldato
You would be best going for 2 32gb kits ideally as you would get better compatibility and maybe go for some faster memory like 3200mhz.

Might also be worth considering swapping to a newer ryzen system if the work your doing would benefit from more cores.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You would be best going for 2 32gb kits ideally as you would get better compatibility and maybe go for some faster memory like 3200mhz.

Might also be worth considering swapping to a newer ryzen system if the work your doing would benefit from more cores.

Thanks for the help. What would swapping to a ryzen system involve? I presume I could keep some hardware in my tower?

Sorry only have limited knowledge but trying to learn!

Soldato
No swapping to Ryzen would involve new motherboard and CPU.

It would however be much faster, but currently there is a worldwide shortage so you may end up paying over the odds.

I would suggest you find yourself a 3200Mhz 64GB (2x32GB) kit, which you could use in a Ryzen setup if you so wished.

Associate
OP

It would however be much faster, but currently there is a worldwide shortage so you may end up paying over the odds.

I would suggest you find yourself a 3200Mhz 64GB (2x32GB) kit, which you could use in a Ryzen setup if you so wished.

That's really helpful thank you. I'll have a look at my options.

Associate
OP

Thanks again. I've gone for 2 x 32gb. I'll do some more research on upgrading to a ryzen setup.

Have a good day!

Man of Honour
Since you only have 4 cores in that CPU, it (an upgrade to e.g. Ryzen 8 or 12 core model) could massively shorten the time you spend waiting and possibly make the PC more usable while you wait, but it depends on the software, some software is still primarily dependent on 1 or 2 cores.

Associate
OP
Since you only have 4 cores in that CPU, it (an upgrade to e.g. Ryzen 8 or 12 core model) could massively shorten the time you spend waiting and possibly make the PC more usable while you wait, but it depends on the software, some software is still primarily dependent on 1 or 2 cores.

Yeah I use Sketchup and vray (plus vector software). My understanding is sketchup only dependent on 1 core at the moment though this may change.

Back
Top Bottom