Now nvidia are supporting Freesync panels (announced last night)

Soldato
this means all gpus on the market capable of VR can support it.
i wonder if this tech could help VR somewhat.

it would have to be limited, you wouldnt want the frame rate of the screen dropping to 50hz in vr... but if perhaps you have a scenario where 90% of the time your screen outputs at 90, but freesync will allow the panel to momentarily drop to say 80hz or even 75hz, without using ASW (or other clones of it) and then ASW would then only kick in if the frames dropped to under 80/75fps?

sounds like it could be another string in the bow for good quality vr?

Associate
This was talked about even back in the DK days - I don't know if things have changed since, but the problem as I recall was this:

Every frame in the HMD is illuminated for a set amount of time. For a 90Hz display it's about 13ms, and for several of those milliseconds the display is turned off (low persistence) to help reduce motion blur. So let's say it's turned off for 3ms every frame (I can't recall the exact amount), so every frame is shown/illuminated for 10 ms.

If you then dropped to 60Hz for example, you're at 16ms per frame (or 13 with low persistence), which means every frame is now hitting your eyeballs for 3ms longer, and altering the perceived brightness of that frame. If the framerate/refresh rate was varying consistently you'd end up with flicking due to the brightness altering from frame to frame.

Soldato
OP
ahh ok so not really feasible then.

btw i think auto correct did something funny with my post! The title was not supposed to have the work Bookmark in there!!!. How on earth i put it in i do not know!.

Back
Top Bottom