Numbers/Names generator?

Soldato
Hi there,

I have no clue where to start with this. I play badminton on Monday nights and there's usually around 10-15 of us on average. There's 3 courts with 4 to a court. Which means some people need to sit off if there's an excess or some people play singles if there is less people.

We usually do numbers, someone turns their back etc. However, no one ever remembers their number and then it's a debate for half an hour on what court they're supposed to be on. So much time is wasted faffing about with this every week.

I was thinking of coming up with a generator program. Where you enter your names into the system and hit generate. This would then tell you who your playing with and who against and on what court. I'd also like it to be smart enough to not put you with the same partner again or against the same people... obviously sometimes unavoidable but as much as possible to mix it up.

It would be excellent to have this as an app on the iPad, as it's easily transportable and can be whipped out.

So... what do you think and is this possible? Any other suggestions?

Your iPad has a browser? Ok. Let's ignore that this is the simplest method to do what you asked for a minute.

What programming languages do you know and to what level? Do you also have a Mac and a paid up developers account with Apple? Not wishing to be rude. But based on the OP I'm assuming the answer is: none, possibly, no.

If that is the case then all that leaves you with are what others have already done ie check the app store or figure out how to use random.org. Or buy a Mac get a developer account and learn objective c then revel in your epic randomiser.

Last edited:
Your iPad has a browser? Ok. Let's ignore that this is the simplest method to do what you asked for a minute.

What programming languages do you know and to what level? Do you also have a Mac and a paid up developers account with Apple? Not wishing to be rude. But based on the OP I'm assuming the answer is: none, possibly, no.

If that is the case then all that leaves you with are what others have already done ie check the app store or figure out how to use random.org. Or buy a Mac get a developer account and learn objective c then revel in your epic randomiser.

I never said I wanted to program it myself. Ipad isn't wifi.

I've looked at that website and I'm still failing to see how it offers what I want. Can you perhaps explain what I do to achieve my results?

maybe explaining how it can be done would be a nicer approach? :rolleyes:

I guess you could use this:
http://www.random.org/lists/

Put in the names, randomize it, and then do it in order... e.g court 1 has person 1&2 vs 3&4, court 2 has person 5&6 v 7&8??? But you will need internet access to use this...

Last edited:
I was thinking of coming up with a generator program.

I never said I wanted to program it myself.

:confused: In the OP it sounded like you would be creating said iPad App.

Either way, there are a number of js based sites that offer this so you'd just save the webpage for offline viewing. But for what ever reason you didn't want to do that and can't find anything on the Appstore, then you'll obviously need to get/pay someone to do it which case you'd be better off posting something on a freelance/tender site.

However, considering the application isn't that difficult in terms of programming, i would grab a few books on Obj-C or Adobe Flux (can compile for iOS) and go about throwing something together yourself.

It's amazing how ungrateful and expecting some people can be when you try to help. Anyway you're very welcome and I hope you overcome your badminton selection woes.

Back
Top Bottom