NUS facing bankruptcy.

Soldato
Eh.. there are some people here would make that post (of yours) and be 100% serious. It's hard to tell these days, when somebody is making a funny or is being genuine.

I read it as a "look at the fascists having a good circle jerk" type post :p Because that's what some genuinely believe. That OcUK is a den of right-wing fascist sympathisers. Personally I think there's a lot of lefties in here also. Probably a good few at both extremes.

I have to agree, this place has more than iit's fair share of the fringes. Sometimes i like to sit back and just be thankful that i'm not either fashioning a fedora made of tin foil or flying a confederate flag from my survival compound.

It's the weird and wonderful mix that makes it so enjoyable though. For every right wing circle jerk there's a lefty love in to balance it out.

Soldato
Unfortunately the ones on the fringes are busy arguing vociferously whilst those in the middle just can't be bothered to engage as frequently anymore. Half the time it's easier to sit back while the angry brigade have it out with one another. :)

Might explain why it feels a bit slow around here these days.

Man of Honour
I don’t see how the fall of the NUS is a good thing. It isn’t the fall of “the exact union that annoyed you once for doing something petty” and even then, eh, not sure why anyone would want it to fail.

Never had any dealing with it myself so I’m not quite sure why it’s so loathed.

Soldato
OCUK forums are abit righty arnt they ? Getting subtle hints of that :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D
Lol bull crap and ineffectiveness tends to inadvertently steer a proportion of the populous to a authoritarian and right wing view point.

Side note, its glorious to read the NUS is struggling. Lets be honest, the only reason anyone outside the ultra leftists has anything to do with them is for the 10% discount on stuff with the NUS card lol

Soldato
Interesting I didn't know that. I have to say though I'm 33 and only managed to blag a NUS card as I'm taking a professional qualification through work, if anything i suspect I'm part of the problem. All those earnest young students trying to change the world and I'm just sat here hoovering up the free meat. I regret nothing.

I’ve been a qualified accountant for about 2 years now and still have an NUS Card!

Gotta get that cheeseburger/McFlurry!

Soldato
Well there's the mystery of Jess Bradley, trans officer for the NUS, who was waving his dick around in public and, after some pressure, was finally suspended (on full pay) and mysteriously was able to pay for Carter Ruck (lawyers to the stars) to defend himself. It's been something of a mystery who's bankrolling that, but NUS have been one of the prime suspects. They've declined to comment (frequently).

bradley.png
:eek:Imagine waking up next to that after a drunken night out:eek:
Man,Woman or Monster.Not sure what i would call it
Don`t mess with nature FFS

Soldato
Lol bull crap and ineffectiveness tends to inadvertently steer a proportion of the populous to a authoritarian and right wing view point.

Side note, its glorious to read the NUS is struggling. Lets be honest, the only reason anyone outside the ultra leftists has anything to do with them is for the 10% discount on stuff with the NUS card lol

What's outrageously bizarre to me is - all the problems in this country, and cruelty to our citizens can pretty much be directly traced to the torys - their measures, politics and also 'old/new Labour' (blair years); are all the result of that - extreme capitalism & austerity ruined the country.

Yet righties go around blaming everything else - basically completely hook lined and sinkered into the authoritarian playbook - I don't understand why people want freedoms removed and a safety net removed - it directly insults all those who fought world wars FOR freedom.

Even worse, this has happened countless times in human history.

Yet people are emotionally driven to do what their told to do - the real problem is by far, the UK government. Whats even worse the same brain washing has led to brexit, which in turn is going to strengthen the UK Gov's ability to make life horrible for the vast majority of people - ironically most of those who voted brexit.

Anyway back on topic - I am absolutely baffled as to why anyone gets any joy from the NUS struggling ??? Can someone explain to me why this is a good thing ? - factually I can't see it being good, but if it emotionally satisfies people, then a human who gets joy from others suffering had probably best seek psychiatric help.

Soldato
Was the NUS associated with the left back in the mid/late 90s? I can't remember as I didn't know left from right back then. All I remember was I had an NUS card during sixth form which gave me 10% (or 20%) off at McDonald's and reduced entry to nightclubs. My sister was head girl and she laminated the NUS cards :p

yep, they were a waste of space then and still are.

Soldato
Anyway back on topic - I am absolutely baffled as to why anyone gets any joy from the NUS struggling ??? Can someone explain to me why this is a good thing ? - factually I can't see it being good, but if it emotionally satisfies people, then a human who gets joy from others suffering had probably best seek psychiatric help.

Because perhaps it does a very good impression of being irrelevant and unhelpful to similar unions who were once affiliated, its members and prospective members?

Are any individuals suffering due to their fiscal incompetence?

Associate
Anyway back on topic - I am absolutely baffled as to why anyone gets any joy from the NUS struggling ???

Ignoring the rest of the post, to paraphrase Monthy Python, what did the NUS ever do for us?

My experience with them was they were politically left (no issue with that...well maybe, maybe not!), politically active, endlessly tried to push their own personal agendas fueled by their political views, kept claiming to speak on behalf of all students, while many felt utterly alienated by the PC stuff they were spouting, and ultimately appeared to be self serving

These are the kind of experiences that got ordinary people voting for Trump and Brexit

Soldato

Rightly or wrongly a lot of people perceptive the NUS as being a part of the hard left that's overrun with cultural Marxists push a very narrow agenda (think identity politics) and prompting bigotry against certain groups of people. So seeing a high profile institution of the left in trouble is just a case of them getting their comeuppance for years for stupid policies that have force feed down people's throats. You only have to look at some of stories that have come out over the last two years to see why a lot of have a bad perception of the NUS:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/rhodes-campaigner-oxford-university-student-refuses-to-tip-white-waitress-until-land-is-returned-in-a7009786.html
https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-43947959
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-oxford-university-inclusivity-black-students
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/29/uea-student-union-bans-racist-sombreros

This just makes me chuckle, it's just so stupid:
https://www.independent.co.uk/stude...fe-space-rules-for-raising-hand-a6967191.html
And electing plain old fashioned racists like Malia Bouattia
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...affairs-select-committee-israel-a7363591.html

There are plenty more stories out usually the GD has at least one thread going on it's 1st page on the last scandal by some attention seeking lefty nobody.

Soldato
Ignoring the rest of the post, to paraphrase Monthy Python, what did the NUS ever do for us?

My experience with them was they were politically left (no issue with that...well maybe, maybe not!), politically active, endlessly tried to push their own personal agendas fueled by their political views, kept claiming to speak on behalf of all students, while many felt utterly alienated by the PC stuff they were spouting, and ultimately appeared to be self serving

These are the kind of experiences that got ordinary people voting for Trump and Brexit

The thing is, having lived in a university town myself for over 15 years and gained 2 degrees here - what maybe called 'left' is frankly, usually more factually correct - the NUS/Uni here said brexit would be terrible for the county - and guess what, they were right - several factories are closing now, mostly in towns that voted to leave, and now the locals are up in arms.

We as a whole, are a totally bizarre silly species - people hate people, who to be blunt, are smarter than the average joe - they are more offended and upset by their perception of arrogance than actually loosing their jobs, homes etc

I think now endless families have lost and are loosing their careers in the local factories / industrial / commercial areas - their priorities might change & they will hopefully listen abit more to, frankly, people that know better.

At least feeling insulted doesn't change the fact if you have a job or a roof over your head - being willfully ignorant, evidently, based on whats happened (and they were told would happen) has indeed made many people jobless - and where I live brexit is a complete and total disaster, way way way worse than the 2008 crash.

(My county and the adjacent county received £500 million from the EU in the past 10 years - purely because the EU forced the torys to hand the money over, and the EU being sensible, fairly spread that money around the entire UK - it benefits the people)

Of course now, will the torys put that kind of money into anywhere outside London? Obviously not - I said this 2-3 years ago.

Soldato
OP

I started this thread so I'd better respond to that. It's because the NUS seems very far from being a body that actually represents students (which is what it is meant to be) and seems more a body that hoovers up money to transmute it into pushing political agendas such as banning newspapers they don't like from university shops, indoctrinating people with Identity Politics at every opportunity and generally being a hive of hard left, Marxist political agitation. Oh, and also doing everything they can to take away our toilets. Right from my first post I nailed my flag in the ground as being someone who did not like the NUS. I'm unapologetic on that. I expect that you come to this with the view of the NUS as a body representing students and are, as you say, baffled why there's a degree of schadenfreude going on here. It's because they're not a body representing students and haven't been for quite some time.

Caveat: I'm sure they must have done something good for students this past year. Other than free burgers, I mean. I'm not convinced whatever it was wouldn't have been done equally well or better by the local student union.

Soldato
I started this thread so I'd better respond to that. It's because the NUS seems very far from being a body that actually represents students (which is what it is meant to be) and seems more a body that hoovers up money to transmute it into pushing political agendas such as banning newspapers they don't like from university shops, indoctrinating people with Identity Politics at every opportunity and generally being a hive of hard left, Marxist political agitation. Oh, and also doing everything they can to take away our toilets. Right from my first post I nailed my flag in the ground as being someone who did not like the NUS. I'm unapologetic on that. I expect that you come to this with the view of the NUS as a body representing students and are, as you say, baffled why there's a degree of schadenfreude going on here. It's because they're not a body representing students and haven't been for quite some time.

Caveat: I'm sure they must have done something good for students this past year. Other than free burgers, I mean. I'm not convinced whatever it was wouldn't have been done equally well or better by the local student union.

Well see my post above your response for a general 'POV' on the NUS. To address your points.

The NUS represents students ? So what your seeing as political agenda could also be explained as - representing the views of students - frankly I do not know ANY one in ANY university to vote FOR brexit.

So if they are waving that flag - then ALL students want them to - there has never been a more united youth in living memory.

And I'm actually glad they are banning news papers (if this is true) - good - because its vile and obvious propaganda - 'news' papers, especially the usual right **** rags, are, mind numbingly hilariously ridiculous these days - the same thing happened pre war in Germany - just bonkers 'reporting' - perhaps they are being 'ott' progressive, but the nation would benefit if laws came in that banned pure lies and nationalistic campaigning from news sources - if they were forced to print verifiable truth, the 'news' would be very different.

You have to remember todays 16-25 year olds will inherent a right mess of a planet from the likes of people like May, her pals, and their age range - and if they can start working now to make the world a better place - then all power to them - sure you don't agree apparently with their politics - but factually, their ethos benefits the many, it is obviously the antidote to the torys.

If the elder generation are hell bent on ruining peoples lives en-mass - then be not surprised when they fight back for what they believe in.

Its obvious I believe in a humanity where we help each other, so of course I see more easily why they are being that way.

Back
Top Bottom