• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
From my experience with both the nvidia connector and the cablemod replacement, once they are secured in, they can't be knocked out by vibrations, or anything for that matter. Actually it's hard to pull it out even when you actually want to.

Soldato
Updated my GPU tracking chart. Now has latest timespy scores as per the 3Dmark website for each GPU, plotted against MSRP and by series.

2023-06-02-17-23-49-GPU-price-perf-Excel.png

This is a mixed bag for me tbh. I know all the criticism about prices, but what this says to me really is 3070 performance in the 4060Ti for a bit less money, 3080 performance in the 4070 for a bit less money, but when you get to 4070Ti you're getting 3090 Ti performance for quite a bit less money, and of course 4080 and 4090 are setting the new performance frontier.

4070 Ti here, might be the pick for optimum card imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
Clear and convincing, thanks. What's it look like if you adjust for inflation?
Not much different really, just lifts up the older series a bit, obviously smaller effect on the newer series. My inflation adjustment is crude though - just inflating all of each series by the same amount based on its main release year, so not doing anything clever regarding month of release. Also used US inflation given the prices are in dollars.

2023-06-02-18-12-34-GPU-price-perf-Excel-inf.png

Soldato
Not much different really, just lifts up the older series a bit, obviously smaller effect on the newer series. My inflation adjustment is crude though - just inflating all of each series by the same amount based on its main release year, so not doing anything clever regarding month of release. Also used US inflation given the prices are in dollars.

2023-06-02-18-12-34-GPU-price-perf-Excel-inf.png
The products are made in China/Taiwan/South Korea. That means between 0.5% to 3.5% inflation.

The RTX3000/RX6000 series were also priced with Pandemic induced price increases and shortages because China,etc was locked down.So a lot of parts now are much cheaper and are easier to get hold off.

US/European inflation figures have no real bearing on the cost of making these(as useful as using Turkish figures)!

Last edited:
Soldato
The products are made in China/Taiwan/South Korea. That means between 0.5% to 3.5% inflation.

The RTX3000/RX6000 series were also priced with Pandemic induced price increases and shortages because China,etc was locked down.So a lot of parts now are much cheaper and are easier to get hold off.

US/European inflation figures have no real bearing on the cost of making these(as useful as using Turkish figures)!
In that case ignore inflation and use the original uninflated version.

Soldato
In that case ignore inflation and use the original uninflated version.

Well its more the case people seem to try and explain away the pricing increases because of inflation(well not you but others). It's bad enough even if you had US inflation,but worse when you realise the cost of most parts is lower now and the countries where they are made are at lower inflation than us.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well its more the case people seem to try and explain away the pricing increases because of inflation(well not you but others). It's bad enough even if you had US inflation,but worse when you realise the cost of most parts is lower now and the countries where they are made are at lower inflation than us.
You also have shrinkflation where cards like the 4080 are using a smaller die than a 3060ti yet selling for 3x as much, this must equate to huge margins for Nvidia.

Soldato
So odd, to me this is the card that doesn’t make that much sense. The performance is pretty good but I have a feeling its longevity will be questionable given it’s vram limitations.
It's only RT games that will pose a problem in terms of VRAM, but in those games I imagine the 7900xt (which is basically it's competitor) will struggle due to poor performance anyways, so I don't see longevity really being an issue in that regard.

Soldato
It's only RT games that will pose a problem in terms of VRAM, but in those games I imagine the 7900xt (which is basically it's competitor) will struggle due to poor performance anyways, so I don't see longevity really being an issue in that regard.

It isn’t that much faster in RT. It depends on the title, but in some cases the difference is around 10% or less, nothing that’s going to turn anything from playable to unplayable. The vram limitation will be a much bigger decider, especially with RT. Even if the 7900XT is a little weaker, the 4070Ti will surely get hammered when it starts running in to vram limitations.

4070Ti should have been a 16GB card.

Soldato
It isn’t that much faster in RT. It depends on the title, but in some cases the difference is around 10% or less, nothing that’s going to turn anything from playable to unplayable. The vram limitation will be a much bigger decider, especially with RT. Even if the 7900XT is a little weaker, the 4070Ti will surely get hammered when it starts running in to vram limitations.

4070Ti should have been a 16GB card.
Not true that the difference in RT is just 10%. The difference in heavy RT games - which are the ones that actually require more vram - is much larger. In pure RT workloads the difference is closer to 40-50%. Now ofcourse I don't expect games to run mainly on RT (except those RT remix nvidia games) but I can easily see the difference being 25 to 35% in games that use something like RT shadows + reflections + GI. We already have examples of that like hogwarts, cyberpunk , control, DL2 etc.. The XT is more of a 3080 / 3080ti competitor in terms of RT performance.

You can clearly see something similar between a 3060ti / 3070 and a 6700xt / 6800. There are games that the 8gb cards can't run when both RT and ultra textures are enabled, so you have to either turn off RT or turn down textures one notch, but there are also plenty of games that the 6700xt / 6800 can't run because they are very slow in terms of RT, so you also have to turn RT off, in which case, you might as well have an 8gb vram card since it does fine with RT off :D

Last edited:
Soldato
The difference in heavy RT games - which are the ones that actually require more vram - is much larger

Surely in those titles the 4070Ti will eventually suffer even more so because it’s going to start to run in to vram limitations.

When it comes to full path RT it’s faster for sure, but there aren’t that many titles where that’s implemented.

Generally the XT is pretty decent in terms of RT performance, around a 3090 level.

4070Ti with 12GB just seems bizarre to me. 3090Ti performance but with only half the vram.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Surely in those titles the 4070Ti will eventually suffer even more so because it’s going to start to run in to vram limitations.

When it comes to full path RT it’s faster for sure, but there aren’t that many titles where that’s implemented.

Generally the XT is pretty decent in terms of RT performance, around a 3090 level.

4070Ti with 12GB just seems bizarre to me. 3090Ti performance but with only half the vram.

I agree that 16 gb would be more sensible but I don't think it's going to make the card obsolete any faster than the 7900xt. Of course that's assuming you care about RT, if you don't then yeah, the XT is going to age much much better.

Soldato
Against my better judgement and being off work for a month with a bad back I had some cash to spare as I could not spend any. So I upgraded my MSI 3070 to one of these.

I have to say I am more than impressed with it, not only in the boost in performance with all the games I play but the build quality. I have never bought a Palit card before but this is solid and for the price feels premium.
I can appreciate all the hype and hate Nvidia get as they are dodgy but I am happy and should keep me going for a few years to come and I game at 1440p just before anyone asks. I can't believe the price has gone up lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
Against my better judgement and being off work for a month with a bad back I had some cash to spare as I could not spend any. So I upgraded my MSI 3070 to one of these.

I have to say I am more than impressed with it, not only in the boost in performance with all the games I play but the build quality. I have never bought a Palit card before but this is solid and for the price feels premium.
I can appreciate all the hype and hate Nvidia get as they are dodgy but I am happy and should keep me going for a few years to come and I game at 1440p just before anyone asks.
Can you pay attention to fan noise? I think they are using the old fans on your card which are fine, on the 40 series gamerock models they use a new fan design and it has a weird whining noise. My gamerock 4090 has it, while my gamerock 3090 was completely fine.

Soldato

RTX 4070 Ti now has the highest share of Ada cards.
RTX 4070 has entered the charts at 0.21%.
Screenshot-2023-06-02-185344.png

Screenshot-2023-06-02-185407.png

Screenshot-2023-06-02-185745.png
pretty bad results for ADA when you look at ampere numbers after after a similar time period, in march 2021 the 3070 had 1.29 while the 3080 had 0.87 after just 5 and 6 months since release and that was with all the availability issues also, The 4090 is beating the 3090 though but it had been out longer than the 3090 was in march 2021.

ADA GPU 1.44% after 7 months compared to 2.89% for ampere after 6 months and the steam survey won't show all the cards that were being used for mining.

Back
Top Bottom