• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
I am struggling to stop myself buying a 4090. It is the only card that can really do MSFS justice [edit - in VR]. Can someone come round and slap me down please.
star-wars-do-it.gif

:p

Associate
Might be worth waiting on a 4090 until the new 12VHPWR socket is mainstream.

It has been spotted on new 4070 FE cards.

No point buying a 4090 if you can never be sure the power cable or socket will melt, may explain the drop in 4090 sales.
Would you buy a card at £1500 that you can never be sure of its safety.

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
Might be worth waiting on a 4090 until the new 12VHPWR socket is mainstream.

It has been spotted on new 4070 FE cards.

No point buying a 4090 if you can never be sure the power cable or socket will melt, may explain the drop in 4090 sales.
Would you buy a card at £1500 that you can never be sure of its safety.

From what I've read it's the adaptor and aftermarket cables that usually cause this. Stock cables on ATX3.0 PSUs seem ok.

Associate
Associate
Soldato
Possibly but give that, PCI-SIG, have chaned the design and we will soon be getting ATX 3.1 PSUs it does sugggest the intial design was flawed.
Maybe it depends how well the connectors were implemented by each IHV.

I play in this one ATM

https://www.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?id=4688

The adapter that came with it clicks nicely and stays in place - PSU is an old ENERMAX 525W.

But, there's one thing a tdp of 320w and another for 450w.

Soldato
Maybe it depends how well the connectors were implemented by each IHV.

I play in this one ATM

https://www.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?id=4688

The adapter that came with it clicks nicely and stays in place - PSU is an old ENERMAX 525W.

But, there's one thing a tdp of 320w and another for 450w.

Cutting it a little close aren't you ? I know it only draws up to maybe 320 watts but once you factor in your CPU, Cooler, Fans etc... that 525w is looking a bit close.

Associate
Apple RAM pricing, innit. :)

Edit: Actually, just checked and it's not even close to Apple's charge of £200 for an extra 8GB of RAM!

Apple memory is constructed with gold, platinum, fairy dust and and unicorn poo. It's very pricey! Come to think of it, this might also be what Nvidia GPUs are now manufactured with, we owe them an apology after all!

Back
Top Bottom