• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Think it's pretty mad nvidia don't do a pre-order of sorts, how do they know what the supply/demand is like by just dropping them on the date and having a free for all.
There's plenty of stock or plenty of capacity to produce more.

The original skus sold poorly because of price, these are still priced too high so don't expect these to sell well either.

RMA Denied because of scratches to back plate... That's a new one so one to be aware of .. Turns out to be a faulty VRAM chip dirty PCIE connector and nothing to do with denying the RMA .. Just proving how AIBs want nothing to do with RMAs and warranties are worthless in some cases because a 4090 to them is not worth the cost or hassle to deal with and now even a scratch on a bit of metal or plastic that is cosmetic only gets refused RMA.

Last edited:

RMA Denied because of scratches to back plate... That's a new one so one to be aware of .. Turns out to be a faulty VRAM chip and nothing to do with denying the RMA .. Just proving how AIBs want nothing to do with RMAs and warranties are worthless in some cases because a 4090 to them is not worth the cost or hassle to deal with and now even a scratch on a bit of metal or plastic that is cosmetic only gets refused RMA.
Saw this one the other day. It wasn't even a faulty chip, just the PCIE connectors were dirty.

Arc launch was a complete ****show though it kept getting put back, hopefully they'll come through this time but I'm doubting it.
May be better this time round, and they have already started work on Celestial, so looking more promising.

I think the ARC launch was, for Intel, one giant BETA test, from the cards them selves to support and Driver updates.

RMA Denied because of scratches to back plate... That's a new one so one to be aware of .. Turns out to be a faulty VRAM chip dirty PCIE connector and nothing to do with denying the RMA .. Just proving how AIBs want nothing to do with RMAs and warranties are worthless in some cases because a 4090 to them is not worth the cost or hassle to deal with and now even a scratch on a bit of metal or plastic that is cosmetic only gets refused RMA.

Well, that's PNY on my forever "do not buy from" list.

Only 2 proper games have PT though right now and even the newer cards can’t really run them at a decent level yet. Will be a couple more gens before PT gains enough traction and the hardware to run becomes good enough.
Works pretty good on my 4080, so not sure about that "can't really run them".
Meh, use power limits or undervolt a bit, if it's a concern.

Maybe the voltage is ramping up too high at idle, I guess there's some room for optimization. My card runs at 39w-48w when idle with 2 monitors active.

With just 1 active, the power usage falls to 8w-15w, which is interesting (voltage varies between 50mv to 255mv).
You can do that with the 4080 as well, there's the example with 60hz where AMD also loses badly.

Ok, but these cards are £1,000 or more...

A PSU either meets the spec or not to run a GPU, so not sure how relevant running at 60hz on a £1000 GPU is.

The actual spec for the RX 7900 XTX is a TDP of 355w, which is only 35w more than the RTX 4080.

The RTX 4080 S is going to give the RX 7900 XTX a run for it's money though, I don't doubt that. Especially if sold close to £900.

But I think the cheapest will probably end up being the MSRP price of £959.

The TDP is the same as the RTX 4080, so the performance per watt is clearly going to be ahead of AMD's design.

Last edited:
Looks like the guy scuffed up the backplate by using something metal to pop the PCIE retention clasp

Those can be a real pain in the arse, especially with today's mega sized cards that totally obscure it and make pushing it down to take the card out require some sort of tool and a lot of poking about. There really needs to be a redesign of those, it's long past time for it.

Perhaps I am in the minority, but I may be tempted by the the 4070 Super.
Looks like it could be a decent jump from my 3060ti. Especially now I am at 1440p.
It may be overpriced, but it is what it is.

If I am tempted, will definitely go FE again if I can.

Back
Top Bottom