• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Probably a bit of both.

The 4080 just got so much bad press from day one.
I just hope people don't think a £200 price cut of a horrendously priced product now makes it a good deal, its still a 43% price rise over a 3080 and will only deliver a single figure price to performance increase over what is now a 3.5 year old card.

Perhaps I am in the minority, but I may be tempted by the the 4070 Super.
Looks like it could be a decent jump from my 3060ti. Especially now I am at 1440p.
It may be overpriced, but it is what it is.

If I am tempted, will definitely go FE again if I can.

I'm either going for the 4070 TI super, 4080 or 4080 Super! I noticed the 4080's are starting to drop below £1000, but needs to be less than that though :/

And to think Nvidia tried to release the 4070 as a 4080 12GB :cry:

That was such a farce, how they didn't expect to get called out on that I've no idea. Different vram amounts, different amount of cuda cores and different clocks. Even on paper it looks a bad idea yet they were dumb enough to attempt it and got promptly told to **** right off.

Asus 4080 super appears. There goes your fantasy of cheaper cards. The 4080 is literally discontinued, there goes another fantasy of a price drop 4080. Better buying a 4090, anchoring is a true and tried method of getting people to pay more.

Last edited:
Perhaps I am in the minority, but I may be tempted by the the 4070 Super.
Looks like it could be a decent jump from my 3060ti. Especially now I am at 1440p.
It may be overpriced, but it is what it is.

If I am tempted, will definitely go FE again if I can.
This is my thinking too... Also with a 3060ti at present.

Well, that's PNY on my forever "do not buy from" list.

PNY are known for using every little excuse they can to deny RMAs, avoid like the plague.

On the plus side, if you want to risk it, you can safely buy used and save money because with them it's as if you don't have warranty either way.

4070 super is an OK card for me. Decent core increase, although I need to see reviews for performance first. I am betting it will be a decent seller on the NVIDIA store.
Agreed. Will definitely wait for performance figures.
Its no bargain, but if the suspected performance is true, should last me quite some time.

If anything it's nice to see nvidia finally trotting out the cards that should have been the original cards, had they not done their tier shuffle. Maybe then the 4080 might have actually sold in some kind of volume instead of being looked at like a plug in STD.

Ok, but these cards are £1,000 or more...

A PSU either meets the spec or not to run a GPU, so not sure how relevant running at 60hz on a £1000 GPU is.

The actual spec for the RX 7900 XTX is a TDP of 355w, which is only 35w more than the RTX 4080.

The RTX 4080 S is going to give the RX 7900 XTX a run for it's money though, I don't doubt that. Especially if sold close to £900.

But I think the cheapest will probably end up being the MSRP price of £959.

The TDP is the same as the RTX 4080, so the performance per watt is clearly going to be ahead of AMD's design.
You can get away with a lesser PSU or older one, so less stress in the longer run (I run a 525W one). And that's my point, the 4080 doesn't run full blast TDP all the time, so that's pointless to look just for that and compare it. For instance, in my case, went to a bit over 300W total board power in War Thunder with the FPS unlock, while with it locked at 59fps (I really don't need 300fps + downsampled from 4k :)), it needs about 60w (sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less). CB77 with path tracing in 1080p@118fps locked (59fps+FG) stays under 200W (somewhere around 180w or less). Even downsampled from 4k and doesn't go into full TDP mode. Less heat, less noise, less power used for nothing :p.

Anyway, it remains to be seen how the price for these new cards and AMD's respond settle. Could be some nice, better prices with AMD for those only interested in Raster and native resolution or playing at 4k.

You can get away with a lesser PSU or older one, so less stress in the longer run (I run a 525W one). And that's my point, the 4080 doesn't run full blast TDP all the time, so that's pointless to look just for that and compare it. For instance, in my case, went to a bit over 300W total board power in War Thunder with the FPS unlock, while with it locked at 59fps (I really don't need 300fps + downsampled from 4k :)), it needs about 60w (sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less). CB77 with path tracing in 1080p@118fps locked (59fps+FG) stays under 200W (somewhere around 180w or less). Even downsampled from 4k and doesn't go into full TDP mode. Less heat, less noise, less power used for nothing :p.

Anyway, it remains to be seen how the price for these new cards and AMD's respond settle. Could be some nice, better prices with AMD for those only interested in Raster and native resolution or playing at 4k.
Just noticed ocuk have a 7800xt for £480 so might be a sign of things to come.

4080 S still overpriced for me, needs to be another 100-200 cheaper especially when looking at what I paid for my 3080FE And any performance gains. However if they are selling the 4080s for 1,000 then I wonder if the 5080 will be slightly cheaper as it’s not a super. Possibly a way for Nvidia to reprice future 80 tier cards without looking like they completely got it wrong price wise previously, but I may just be waiting for pigs to fly

4080 S still overpriced for me, needs to be another 100-200 cheaper especially when looking at what I paid for my 3080FE And any performance gains. However if they are selling the 4080s for 1,000 then I wonder if the 5080 will be slightly cheaper as it’s not a super. Possibly a way for Nvidia to reprice future 80 tier cards without looking like they completely got it wrong price wise previously, but I may just be waiting for pigs to fly
I reckon the 5080 will be back over 1k but will also depend on whether AMD come to the party.

With a 3080 I’d see no reason to not wait for the 5XXX series unless its hobby money, but then I’d say get the 4090 and be done with it.

personally i think its going to get worse before it gets better, prices wise, not only AI to contend with, but with electric bills set to fall and recovery of crypto market, i can see the return of mining later on in the year. and if mining does return, the prices will rocket again

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom