• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

What are 3080 10GB owners doing then? Eyeing up the 4080S or 70ti super? I can sell my 3080 for about 350-380 so if any 70ti deals for £700, pretty tempted but feel like be better stumping up for the 4080s now
Holding. I'm not struggling enough to change it yet. If I was getting an upgrade itch, I'd be holding for the 5000's - Might be a little higher in price, but it would likely be a more impressive leap.

Get the feeling suggesting a 7900XTX wouldn't go far :p

but it would likely be a more impressive leap.
image.png

5090 best value.

Not for me, that. I wonder if the price of that will go up with the 5000 series? I have been considering switching from my 3080 to a 4080 or 7900x /xtx, and while the gain would be there, it's too much money for me to consider - it would have been based on want, not need.

5000 series may make me change my mind, but if the pricing is similar levels (and I have no reason to expect it won't be) then I'm staying put.

What are 3080 10GB owners doing then? Eyeing up the 4080S or 70ti super? I can sell my 3080 for about 350-380 so if any 70ti deals for £700, pretty tempted but feel like be better stumping up for the 4080s now

Nothing really - Until I can get a minimum of 50% performance upgrade at the £650 price I paid for my 3080, I won't be budging.

I'll wait to see what the next generation of GPU's will do. Hopefully by then, whichever card comes in at around £650 will be at least 50% faster, maybe more.

The are listed from ~£750, and OCUK have them at £778 I think, it does seem to be the best of a bad bunch TBH, if you could pick one up for £700 in voucher ccode deal or cashback promo it might be a great deal vs what we saw at the launch of the 40 series.

Yeah, remains to be seen exactly how many models are at or around MSRP and what availability is like.

Some companies are clearly taking the mick, if the provisional prices posted thus far prove to be correct. £900 for an Asus TUF looks spectacularly bad value next to a 4080FE SUPER at £949.

Nothing really - Until I can get a minimum of 50% performance upgrade at the £650 price I paid for my 3080, I won't be budging.

I'll wait to see what the next generation of GPU's will do. Hopefully by then, whichever card comes in at around £650 will be at least 50% faster, maybe more.

Yeah there's nothing that can offer a 50% bump over a 3080 at the £650 price point, hence why they're such good value used at around £350.

Next gen is probably your best bet.

I feel like the trend was scuppered with the 40 and the 40 were a buy, things like frame generation from the games I've used it in are a life saver.
I’d disagree, the 40 series was a terrible buy with no increase and even a regression in price to performance in some cases for both RT and raster.

The fact you describe FG as a life saver sums up all that is wrong with this generation where technologies like this should be a bonus feature and not a necessity and that’s because the GPUs themselves just haven’t been good enough for the high asking prices.

FG is currently only in a handful of games and still not a polished tech, kind of like where DLSS 1.0 was when it came out and unlike DLSS upscaling versions which maintained support on older cards the hardware required for FG seems a lot more sensitive to change with the 2000/3000 being locked out despite having the optical flow accelerator so I wouldn’t be surprised if the 4000 series gets left behind with any future improvements that require additional or stronger hardware.

I’d disagree, the 40 series was a terrible buy with no increase and even a regression in price to performance in some cases for both RT and raster.

The fact you describe FG as a life saver sums up all that is wrong with this generation where technologies like this should be a bonus feature and not a necessity and that’s because the GPUs themselves just haven’t been good enough for the high asking prices.

FG is currently only in a handful of games and still not a polished tech, kind of like where DLSS 1.0 was when it came out and unlike DLSS upscaling versions which maintained support on older cards the hardware required for FG seems a lot more sensitive to change with the 2000/3000 being locked out despite having the optical flow accelerator so I wouldn’t be surprised if the 4000 series gets left behind with any future improvements that require additional or stronger hardware.

Hopefully 50 series will be priced and tiered more reasonable although I highly doubt full cut die will be available for gaming consumers. I have a feeling that 90 series will ditched out and BL(?)103 to be used for 5080, hopefully that will be +80% performance of full cut, overperforms 4090 and lower than £1000 price tag for highest model.

The 4090 was 21% more expensive than the 3090 at launch (14% when the price was lowered shortly after), yet was 60-70% faster.
That was the only card in the line up that saw a decent price to performance increase over its predecessor, the rest were either single digits or even a regression in some cases.
Hopefully 50 series will be priced and tiered more reasonable although I highly doubt full cut die will be available for gaming consumers. I have a feeling that 90 series will ditched out and BL(?)103 to be used for 5080, hopefully that will be +80% performance of full cut, overperforms 4090 and lower than £1000 price tag for highest model.
Nvidia will need a 90 card or something on a 102 die to be meaningfully faster than the 4090 such is its lead over everything else this gen and we may even get a fully enabled 4090ti that is a further 15% faster yet which would put it around 45-50% faster than a 4080S.

TSMC 5nm > 3nm is only looking to be around a 15% more performance at the same power so with architectural improvements and the increased bandwidth of GDDR7 then we might see the 5080 being around 30% faster than a 4080 which would make it around the same speed as a 4090 so I definitely think we see a 90 card on the 102 and maybe even an increase to the die size of the blackwell 103 to around 450mm2 and a bump in TDP to 350w.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom