• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Ok, let me rephrase that: current state of rasterization will go out the window.
I don't think I agree. There's a long tail in graphics - from the APU that runs guildwars 2 up to the 4090 now. Even if the 5090 could run what your thinking of, nothing current can. Any game would have to have fall back for the 99.7% of other cards. No profit there.

If the 5090 manages your full RT, then the 6080, 7070, 8060, 9050... isn't the 4060 the most common 4xxx card on the steam survey? In 5 generations the entire graphics stack sold could manage it.

So that's what, 10 years? Starting next year some time?

Ok, let me rephrase that: current state of rasterization will go out the window.
The only window rasterization is going out of is whatever window you pick in your gaff to throw your rig out of.

The FIRST RT only launch debuted on an AMD's first RT powered console.

Nv's on their third RT gen, but they cba launching the FIRST PC RT only title, they let AMD's second gen RT gpu to pick up the slack.

Nv's main selling point they care about is 'we can do this' even at that-it's only in a select few titles, which makes them sell sooo much more than anyone else.

Not saying it's never going to happen, but I think we are years away before there's more RT'ing titles than raster.

Last edited:
If the 5090 manages your full RT, then the 6080, 7070, 8060, 9050... isn't the 4060 the most common 4xxx card on the steam survey? In 5 generations the entire graphics stack sold could manage it.

I feel like the 60 class card from Nvidia always dominates the Steam survery. The 1060 (6GB and 3GB) topped the list for about 8 years!

I don't think I agree. There's a long tail in graphics - from the APU that runs guildwars 2 up to the 4090 now. Even if the 5090 could run what your thinking of, nothing current can. Any game would have to have fall back for the 99.7% of other cards. No profit there.

I feel like the 60 class card from Nvidia always dominates the Steam survery. The 1060 (6GB and 3GB) topped the list for about 8 years!
The 60 class used to match the previous gen 80 class however such is the stagnation in the mainstream that the 60 class doesn't even match the previous generation 60ti nowadays so it'll be many years before PT becomes the norm.

The only window rasterization is going out of is whatever window you pick in your gaff to throw your rig out of.

The FIRST RT only launch debuted on an AMD's first RT powered console.

Nv's on their third RT gen, but they cba launching the FIRST PC RT only title, they let AMD's second gen RT gpu to pick up the slack.

Nv's main selling point they care about is 'we can do this' even at that-it's only in a select few titles, which makes them sell sooo much more than anyone else.

Not saying it's never going to happen, but I think we are years away before there's more RT'ing titles than raster.

Wrong.

Metro EE was the first RT only title backed by nvidia and launched on PC + consoles.

Spiderman (second RT only title) didn't have any input from amd, link if they did though please.

Nvidia/AMD also don't really need to get involved now (as shown with most titles that aren't backed by either nvidia or amd) either since developers as stated by themselves are wanting to move away from raster and use RT more because of how much better it is for them and what it can allow them to achieve which wouldn't have been possible before.

Also, quite hilarious to say nvidia "cba launching first pc rt title" when they're the ones who made real time ray tracing possible in the first place with turing and then making it actually playable by introducing upscaling and then frame gen (which amd followed) and not to mention, the path tracing we are now starting to see. Abslutely disingenuous to make it out like they haven't done much in the RT space when they're spearheading this area.

As evidenced, majority of games launched over the last couple of years (in terms of the main releases/triple a titles) have had RT of some form, think maybe 8/10 games I've played over the last 3 years have had RT of some form and 1/10 of those games were old games.

But it is very limited...
You can "fake" a lot in raster (since that's the buzz word), but you can only push it so far while losing a lot of time building the game...

Anyway, this has been talked about a lot. If consoles would be strong enough, probably raster would be abandoned in a gen.

Main thing we need to see is where games are designed from the get go with RT being the focus, 4a enhanced and now massive have shown what is possible when you don't just tack RT on top. As shown, gradually developers will start to phase rasterisation out to the point you won't even see "RT" options. The big holdback has been that devs were still releasing games for old gen consoles so they had to focus on raster just as much, if not more, once they are dropped for good and the next gen consoles come along and devs are working with only RT capable hardware, we'll start to see a much bigger/quicker shift imo.

Last edited:
OCUK on videocardz. Apparently, high prices for super variants, shocked I am.

Free advertising.

lol.....

No thanks. I don't know how good their cloud gaming is now, I did try it in the past and wasn't impressed.
Well, in true "the cult which Jobs built" mode, were you just holding it wrong?

In this case, was your internet speed and latency in the top 1% of the country?

Because, surely for cloud gaming, internet speed is the fall back excuse for anyone selling it!

Wrong.

Metro EE was the first RT only title backed by nvidia and launched on PC + consoles.

I'ts not myself that's wrong, I was specific with first ( as in developed) with RT only launch on PC which is AFOP-it works as it should..

RT only Metro launched previously with raster and optional RT'ing, EE edition was designed with taster+RT bolted on, post launch, it was upgraded to EE which is the version you're talking about.

Spiderman (second RT only title) didn't have any input from amd, link if they did though please.
:(Didn't say AMD had any input on SM2, I said first Rt only game(designed that way) was launched on AMD hardware therefore I can't link to something I didn't say, again, which is a repeat pattern of yourself claiming I said something that I did not.

NV are the undisputed RT/PT/Upscaling champs, but they didn't launch the first to market debut launch titles on either Console or PC platform, it was AMD hardware that's used/partnered in both instances.

Edit. NV's contribution to getting RT'ing and PT'ing into the gaming scene is outstanding, but first to market to launch RT'ing only titles, they are not

Last edited:

Some alleged US pricing. No surprise the MSRP is pure fiction for the 4070Ti Super/4080 Super AIB cards.

Some alleged US pricing. No surprise the MSRP is pure fiction for the 4070Ti Super/4080 Super AIB cards.
Prices don't seem that bad ??

didnt Zotac say they have 4 msrp models, im sure read that somewhere

Last edited:
OCUK on videocardz. Apparently, high prices for super variants, shocked I am.

A few months back you could get a 4090 Strix for £1650 ... for basically £300 more than this and worst part is the 4080S Strix is basically £400 more than the FE version... Proving again Greed and Gouging. +50% gouging is now the msrp... seriously something very wrong now in the UK and any country that is allowing this crime now.

Back
Top Bottom