• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Very wise words from Joxeon............i would like a new card as only on a 3070 still and game at 1440p , still no idea wat one to get as we have no idea how close the RTX 5000 cards are .

It's end of this year isn't it? I reckon they will be tough to get a hold of until probably January of 2025. I'm using a 3070 too and considering an upgrade, though I don't think there are any games this year that I can't get by on. As mentioned above, the best value is found at the beginning of a gen. It's also crazy to me the 4080 was still at £1100 until not so long ago, given how poorly that thing sold it should already be a £8/900ish card imo.

Something that isn't hot and noisy? like this...

Its 2023 ^^^^ or was.... not 2014.
These are the 2 of the cheapest 4070 models on OCUK and I wouldn't really consider either to be hot or noisy.
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,077.97 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Screenshot-727.png

Screenshot-726.png

The other thing is if you have 1k+ to spend on a GPU why would you not just buy at the start of the generation?

As much as I disliked the 4080 price surely it still would have been better to spend £1200 on one a year ago than £1000 on 4080 super today. A £200 premium for a year of use, next year you’ll likely be getting a £600 card matching the 4080 so you’ll be paying a £400 premium for a year of use or a £600 premium for 2 years of use on the 4080 non super.
Because there's a price to performance improvement with these super cards. At the start of the 4000 generation there was zero price to performance improvement over the 3080, and there's no guarantee there will be a price to performance improvement over these supers at the start of the 5000 series.

Because there's a price to performance improvement with these super cards. At the start of the 4000 generation there was zero price to performance improvement over the 3080, and there's no guarantee there will be a price to performance improvement over these supers at the start of the 5000 series.
10-15% more performance on the 70 cards and a 17% price cut on the 80 is hardly moving the needle much.

Next year we’ll likely see 30-40% gains on all 3 and the only way that wouldn’t happen is if Nvidia cuts the die sizes again but then that would result in no performance gains at all as TSMC 5 > 3nm is not like the jump down from the rubbish Samsung 8nm where Nvidia could cut dies and still gain performance.

I don’t think Nvidia will hike 70/80 prices next gen either but rather try and consolidate on the prices that they have right now as they haven’t sold particularly well so far hence this refresh and if anything I think the 5080 will start at $1k next time around.

Last edited:
They have junk coolers regardless of excuses, look at the reviews for some of them, hot and noisy.
4070 S FE is the best one imo, cheapest by far by the looks of things, honestly they shouldn't have bothered with the Supers, the AIB ti supers are crazy expensive-should just have nocked a few quid off all the way up the 4080.

But Nv just can't bring themselves to drop prices.:cry:

10-15% more performance on the 70 cards and a 17% price cut on the 80 is hardly moving the needle much.

Next year we’ll likey see 30-40% gains on all 3 and the only way that wouldn’t happen is if Nvidia cuts the die sizes again but then that would result in no performance gains at all as TSMC 5 > 3nm is not like the jump down from the rubbish Samsung 8nm where Nvidia could cut dies and still gain performance.

I don’t think Nvidia will hike 70/80 prices next gen either but rather try and consolidate on the prices that they have right now as they haven’t sold particularly well so far hence this refresh and if anything I think the 5080 will start at $1k next time around.
Most people were predicting a big price/perf jump with the 4000 series too and it didn't happen. I don't think anyone would be shocked if the 5080 is $1200 and 20% faster than the 4080 Super.

I didn't say all of them were, having said that the Gigabyte i wouldn't trust due to cracking PCB's and the Palit does look like a cheap cooler to me.
Last Palit I bought was 3070 gaming, it was very well built, quiet, but that 2 fan one, cheap, taky and build quality isn't as good as their 3 fan versions.

Presume your going to wait for the dust to settle before you decide mate, as in actually really going to buy a new gpu, or just looking?:p

4070 S FE is the best one imo, cheapest by far by the looks of things, honestly they shouldn't have bothered with the Supers, the AIB ti supers are crazy expensive-should just have nocked a few quid off all the way up the 4080.

But Nv just can't bring themselves to drop prices.:cry:

I'll agree with that, i like the FE cards, i'd like to see it at £450, that i think is where its at.

Last Palit I bought was 3070 gaming, it was very well built, quiet, but that 2 fan one, cheap, taky and build quality isn't as good as their 3 fan versions.

Presume your going to wait for the dust to settle before you decide mate, as in actually really going to buy a new gpu, or just looking?:p

I'm getting very stubborn when it comes to GPU's, i'm sick of all the BS, i'm just not going to buy one unless i think its a good deal.

Last edited:
Look, for the same money i think the 4070 is a better card than the 7700XT, but the 7800XT is a better card than it, but i don't want to spend £500+ on a GPU, i have drawn the line there. That's about as succinctly as i can put it.

Most people were predicting a big price/perf jump with the 4000 series too and it didn't happen. I don't think anyone would be shocked if the 5080 is $1200 and 20% faster than the 4080 Super.
If cards don’t sell well then Nvidia are prepared to adjust pricing.

Take the 2080FE which had an MSRP price of $799, sold poorly and a year later it was replaced by the 2080FE super at $699 then we saw the 3080FE at $699 so I fully expect $1000 for the 5080.

Nvidia tried $1200 and it failed to sell so the goal now will be to make the 5080 look like an absolute bargain at $1000 and turn the 80 class into a big seller again.

Last edited:
If cards don’t sell well then Nvidia are prepared to adjust pricing.

Take the 2080FE which had an MSRP price of $799, a year later it was replaced by the 2080FE super at $699 then we saw the 3080FE at $699 so I fully expect $1000 for the 5080.

Nvidia tried $1200 and it failed to sell so the goal now will be to make the 5080 look like an absolutel bargain at $1000 and turn the 80 class into a big seller again.

Don't you see it?

Make this gen $1200 where the previous gen was $700, then make the next one $1000 and people think they are getting a good deal, Nvidia are listening, in reality 2 generation later the price of the ##80 class card has gone from $700 to $1000.

Last edited:
Don't you see it?

Make this gen $1200 where the previous gen was $700, then make the next one $1000 and people think they are getting a good deal and Nvidia are listening, in reality 2 generation later the price of the ##80 class card has gone from $700 to $1000.
Yeap it’s genius marketing, we already see people here dismissing the 5080 at any cheaper than $1200 so when it drops for $1000 and offers a 60% price performance increase over the original 4080 everyone will go crazy and it’ll sell like hotcakes.

Look, for the same money i think the 4070 is a better card than the 7700XT, but the 7800XT is a better card than it, but i don't want to spend £500+ on a GPU, i have drawn the line there. That's about as succinctly as i can put it.

7800XT Pulse is £510, but that's coming down when the 70 Super launches, I'm guessing £450/70???, anyway I'd be waiting.

Out of interest, if you go AMD, is it because of longevity, AMD's FSR3+fmf killer combo of Super high fps, wouldn't you miss the superior RT/DLSS3?

7800XT Pulse is £510, but that's coming down when the 70 Super launches, I'm guessing £450/70???, anyway I'd be waiting.

Out of interest, if you go AMD, is it because of longevity, AMD's FSR3+fmf killer combo of Super high fps, wouldn't you miss the superior RT/DLSS3?

I'd prefer the 16GB card, in whatever colour it comes, for longevity, but will settle for a 12GB, in whatever colour it comes in, if its cheap enough

There are pros and cons to each colour, i don't rate RT at all in this mid range, i have explained why, DLSS is better than FSR but FMF is better than DLSS Frame Gen because i can use FMF in any game that "I" chose to. And i prefer AMD's drivers, no i'll rephrase that, AMD's drivers ARE better. Oh and Nvidia still haven't figured out why i and many others are getting image artefacts in Chrome on Youtube and sometimes even Discord, yes that's a thing with Nvidia's drivers, google it, it has been for a year and the only reason you don't hear about it is because tech jurnoes don't want to talk about it.

So in terms of features or stability i don't rate one above the other.

Last edited:
I'd prefer the 16GB card, in whatever colour it comes, for longevity, but will settle for a 12GB, in whatever colour it comes in, if its cheap enough

There are pros and cons to each colour, i don't rate RT at all in this mid range, i have explained why, DLSS is better than FSR but FMF is better than DLSS Frame Gen because i can use FMF in any game that "I" chose to. And i prefer AMD's drivers, no i'll rephrase that, AMD's drivers ARE better. Oh and Nvidia still haven't figured out why i and many others are getting image artefacts in Chrome on Youtube and sometimes even Discord, yes that's a thing with Nvidia's drivers, google it, it has been for a year and the only reason you don't hear about it is because tech jurnoes don't want to talk about it.

So in terms of features or stability i don't rate one above the other.
First off, get the 78XTX 16Gb all the way.

Second off, yes, FMF is better than DLSS Frame Gen because you can use FMF in any game, but to clarify in case you bumped your head earlier, DLSS3 kicks FMF ass for quality.:p

Just wait till you open Adrenaline.:)

Last edited:
First off, get the 78XTX 16Gb all the way.

Second off, yes, FMF is better than DLSS Frame Gen because you can use FMF in any game, but to clarify in case you bumped your head earlier, DLSS3 kicks FMF ass for quality.:p

Not long to wait and see what happens now with all these cards when the supers hit shelves.

As for DLSS3, sure, but if i can't use it what's the point? If Nvidia did the same driver level thing then its worth a lot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom