• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

ignoring everything else, look at dem heat pipes
RTX4090-Cooler1-768x356.jpg
No way in hell the chip is wide enough for all those heat pipes, but it's on the internet so must be true

5DKi1e6.jpg.png
Based on my own speculation for prices for ADA, current pricing for Ampere, and leaked TSE scores. Sadly table function on this forum seems kinda borked so I had to do it as an image. Was mostly curious to see if Ampere's worth buying now, and which ones to look out for on the second-hand market, mostly eyeing the 3080 Ti/3080 12G as of now, it seems competitive with 4070 and I don't believe Nvidia's going to jebait us with it at $499 again (which was a lie even 2 years ago for 3070). Guess we'll have to see in a few days if it even gets announced.
$400 extra for another 4g of RAM for the 4080?

My Meshify C is worried, 315mm GPU length limit :( I'm doubting I'll be able to get a 4080 under that size now, and maybe not a 4070! Or I'll have to fork for a watercooled option :D
Problem with that is typically the AIB watercooled cards take at least 12 months to turn up after the release of new cards, or at least that was the case with the current gen.

You’d be better off taking a Dremel to your case if a 4080 doesn’t quite fit, that’s what I did a couple of years ago to fit my old 2080Ti into my sons PC.

wow seems the gap between the 4080 (proper) and 4090 is much larger than 3080 and 3090
Because last time round people saw the small difference in perf but massive difference in price and noped away from the 3090 and got a 3080 lol. This time round they are making the physical spec quite a big jump for the 90.

Unless Calisto Protocol somehow runs poorly on a 3080 Ti, then I see no point in jumping to these new cards from NV or AMD. Power hungry heat generators, as if the current gen weren't bad enough even when UVing.

The next GPU change for me will be all about efficient performance.

No way in hell the chip is wide enough for all those heat pipes, but it's on the internet so must be true

No ****, check the first image on the videocardz link and you can see the indent for the GPU, the heatpipes don't make direct contact with the GPU, they make contact with a large copper plate and only this plate contacts the GPU die

This is what the bottom of the card looks like after removing the PCB, you can see the indent where the GPU die makes contact. Someone should get out digital calipers, we can now measure the size of AD102

And then after removing the copper plate, you are presented with the heatsink and heatpipes, these heatpipes contact the copper plate not the GPU die

This is what the bottom of the card looks like after removing the PCB, you can see the indent where the GPU die makes contact. Someone should get out digital calipers, we can now measure the size of AD102
Very rounded corners for contact with a square cornered die. It's either larger than needed or the die has a cap.

Also, holy crap. Rumours that AD102 is a 72B transistor chip!!! https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-ad102-gpu-reportedly-has-more-than-75-billion-transistors

If true, this thing is going to be >2x faster than the 3090TI, which came in at 28B transistors.

The 4080 16GB having a different die to the 4080 12GB is making more sense. The top of the market has just found a new ceiling, and surely a new price.

This is going to be a fun release! My 2p is that NVidia will have the fastest cards, but AMD will win the value proposition while competing with NVidias 2nd tier.

Also, holy crap. Rumours that AD102 is a 72B transistor chip!!! https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-ad102-gpu-reportedly-has-more-than-75-billion-transistors

If true, this thing is going to be >2x faster than the 3090TI, which came in at 28B transistors.

The 4080 16GB having a different die to the 4080 12GB is making more sense. The top of the market has just found a new ceiling, and surely a new price.

This is going to be a fun release! My 2p is that NVidia will have the fastest cards, but AMD will win the value proposition while competing with NVidias 2nd tier.
It is believed that an amount of that is dedicated to a large amount of cache, similar to infinity cache.

Back
Top Bottom