• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Realistically until the white whitepaper is out that is speculation. I know the kind of "locked" definition people are alluding to, but if the technical aspects add up, then DLSS 3 would never have worked on 30xx anyway because the additional hardware doesn't exist on those boards. Now could they have held the additional hardware back for a later release when 30xx was being released especially the Ti versions? Sure, but then what would they have put into the 40xx :p Business has to stay business one way or other I guess.

Let's wait for the whitepaper on DLSS 3.

Speculation at this point but RTX has had optical flow acceleration since Turning, relevant conversation Reddit:

It's always hard with nVidia as they have a history with artificially locking features to hardware, RTX voice being the most recent example I can think of.

Lol, that settles it. I guess I waited for nothing. Moving to PS5 soon-ish, PC stays for DAW use and web browsing.

Won't pay these ridiculous prices + the cost of a new PSU and energy bills just so I can play a few games that'll look more impressive on the Oled in my bedroom anyways, at a fraction of the price and less heat.

I might upgrade to a used 3070 or 3080 at some point, or anything decently priced that'll run those very few games I still want on PC (so pretty much Tekken 8 only, lol).

I game less and less anyways.
I’m in the exact same boat mate . I can afford to buy this new tech but I’m not being mugged off with these stupid prices when a ps5/Xbox can be had for half the price of one of the new cards.

The shroud seems to make them way bigger than they are, IDK why they don't just dump the shroud
iu

Maybe Nvidia should start developing games so there’s something actually worth playing on their cards.

Well funny you say that, they do have a studio now for Remix and modding ray tracing into dx 8 and 9 games :p

NVIDIA’s Lightspeed Studios loves bringing RTX to classic games, but each project requires many months of development effort to get everything product-ready. With these challenges in front of us we set out to make a modding platform that enabled gamers and modders of all ability levels to bring ray tracing and NVIDIA technologies to classic games. Combining Open Source technology like DXVK, the latest rendering technology from NVIDIA, and a toolchain built on Omniverse, we were able to achieve this vision. The result is the revolutionary NVIDIA RTX Remix, and we can’t wait to see what the community creates.

With the price rise of the 4080(s), which should probably be 2 separate SKUs, does that make the £650 3080 one of the best deals of all time?

Was just thinking that too, some won't have it though right @TNA :p :D :cry:

Probably nvidias biggest regret the pricing of the 3080 10gb.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Had nvidia priced the 40xx properly, the 3080 would have crashed in value to that or even less. Nvidia must have an absolute **** ton of 30xx to sell still
I'm still not sure what is more shocking, the fact that they botched up their demand forecast so spectacularly or the fact that they are really trying to sell these GPUs at MSRP 2 years later

Last edited:
Had nvidia priced the 40xx properly, the 3080 would have crashed in value to that or even less. Nvidia must have an absolute **** ton of 30xx to sell still
yup...and you can now bet your bottom dollar OCUK and other retailers/etailers are combing these forums rubbing their hands with glee knowing ppl more likely to go buy a 30 series card now....big price hikes coming tomorrow before opening.

Last edited:
There is a very significant difference this time though.... the actual performance. Aside from the 2080Ti which was a meagre ~30ish% faster than a 1080Ti (for a massive premium) the other turing cards were basically EQUIVALENT performance just with raytracing bolted on. That was the (bad) joke. That is not the case this time. The performance uplift is significant, but you're going to pay for it.

I'm not sure I believe in that fantasy of AMD riding in wearing the white cowboy hat to save the day anymore. I suppose its possible, their 6900XT MSRP was nicely discounted vs the 3090 until the pandemic made MSRPs irrelevant (and priced 6900XT's shoulder to shoulder with the 3090's). Maybe nvidia would even respond to that. We didnt get to see how nvidia would have responded to the 6900XT in a non-pandemic world.
not sure about the claims by Jenson.

Rasterisation upto 2x faster. similar claims were made on Turing cards. I think gaming bench marks should be released soon so we will see what the extra cuda cores will mean.

Ray tracing upto 4x well thats cos it has 2x more tensor cores with an insturction optimiser.

also he leads with DLSS3.0 6min talking about it. most of that gain is through better upscaling i suspect. raw rasterisation would be no where near 2x gain. i think 60% would be impressive but very doubtful.

Last edited:
What a joke.

I have no intention of entertaining these prices as do none of my gaming circle. (most of whom are far more wealthy than I)

R.I.P. the P.C. gaming market.

like yourself I’m wondering whether there’s really enough of a market for £1000+ video cards? First time we’ve seen an xx80 video card at that price.

I can see many struggling to justify spending that kind of cash on a GPU? Especially when the new consoles (ps5, series x) are now so powerful and less than half the price of a GPU alone.

Anyone else feel like this is a price hike too far at a time when many are cutting back on non-essential spending?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom