• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

It seems total chaos, talking to suppliers this morning saying they absolutely have to do a minimum of 0.75 to bring us upto 2.50% and they still cannot do that, the sooner it hits 3% the sooner the pound might actually regain some ground, the weaker it gets, the more expensive these cards become. Crazy to think that a year ago at some points the pound was nearly at 1.40 at certain times. Anyway it could be worse, we could be in the euro. :eek:
At the risk of going off topic, I'd rather my mortgage was cheaper than a GPU was £50 more expensive! Inflation is being caused by the international energy markets and supply chains, so not sure raising interest rates in the UK will have much impact. Other than risk peoples homes, oh and making banks more money!

A man dressed in leather :p

Who would have thought things would be this bad. £950 for a 4070.. GTFO!!
I had flashbacks of this when the pricing was announced.

Screenshot-308.png

not sure raising interest rates in the UK will have much impact. Other than risk peoples homes, oh and making banks more money!

In theory it stops the pound collapsing further, which then stops import prices rocketing, which would make retail prices and inflation even worse. In this case, as gibbo has identified, they didn't raise them enough to really do that, so the pound is already taking another nose-dive, which means imports get more expensive, and not just graphics cards.

But yeah, immediate impact - those nvidia launch prices are going to get worse.

Hi guys question. I am currently on Seasonic Prime platinum PX 1300 + gigabyte 3090 ti + 12900k + 1ssd+ 32gb ddr4.That psu will be enough with gigabyte gaming 4090 and 12900k?

Case Cooler Master Cosmos C700P

Last edited:
Nvidia can kiss my hairy bum. They've spent 5 years pushing raytracing and now the tec can likely actually do it at decent framerates they make it unavailable for the average gamer, scum move, I really hope there's a consumer boycott.

Anyone think AMD won't follow suit ?

Would a 4080/4090 cost a lot to run given the current energy prices?
Offset it against the room heating you gain so one less room to heat with central heating. Easy.

My 3080 ti for example keeps me perfectly warm as the hot air gently rises from under the desk during the night all whilst consuming around 280 watts in gaming :p

Last edited:
I am looking for a PS that have the new 16 pin cables.
But it's not looking good

loads coming out but most are pre order with earliest date of 21 October - Thermaltake GF3

Asus look to have cheated with their current ones and its just an adaptor lead so I would be worried that they arent going to be any better than using the gfx adaptor (or worse)

Look at the Thor P2. The psu doesnt have a dedicated PCI-5 lead on the back but just comes with a modular lead which feeds only 2 8 pin pci-e connectors into the new 16 pin connector and only offers a maximum of 450W.

I think the new Loki ones are proper connectors though

I had flashbacks of this when the pricing was announced.

Screenshot-308.png
That Pulp Fiction reference is just so apt! :)

I'm looking back with interest through this thread and the predictions folks were making for 40x0 pricing. I think only one person got pretty close but most seasoned vets here were some way off and must have felt like Marsellus Wallace (Ving Rhames) when prices were actually announced. :D

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Nvidia can kiss my hairy bum. They've spent 5 years pushing raytracing and now the tec can likely actually do it at decent framerates they make it unavailable for the average gamer, scum move, I really hope there's a consumer boycott.

Anyone think AMD won't follow suit ?
Amen.

I'm having a giggle at anyone who can buy these and justify the cost without being a professional user.

I could theoretically afford these, but have absolutely no intention of dropping that coin on a single component with a two year warranty.

Looks like I'll be sitting back and watching!

Ada was rumored to be 600mm2 for several months now and it was correct.
RDNA3 is rumored to be 500mm2, that's not what I'd call small.

We used to say that under 250mm2 was small, now its 500mm2?

Sadly this was always going to happen. After Fermi Nvidia went down in die sizes and grew massively in clock speed. I don't even think they knew how well Kepler would clock, but I do remember an overclocker called Ghost talking about a 80% bios about two days before launch. IE, the bios was sent to him that raised the clock speeds by 80%. That said it was years ago, and although my long term memory is good it could have been 60%. Either way it was unexpected, and whilst no one thought that the 680 could compare to the 7970 it was right up there with it.

That stayed until Turing. Die size small, cheaper to make, clock balls. Then Turing happened and Nvidia started bolting on the kitchen sink. Apparently though AMD are going in the other direction this time around. Which is a relief tbh. If both they and Nvidia just focussed on tanks and selling us server gear then we'd be screwed.

As for 500mm2? you are talking about the 7900XT I would assume. Again, I don't think that card will be under £1200. That said it is not the card I could give a damn about. Maxwell was a hit because of the 970* and 980. They were affordable, sipped power and absolutely flew. And that was superb for gamers, just like AMD Polaris.

I know this forum can be a bit blind sided and not care at all about cards less than the most expensive one, but in real world terms they are the ones that matter. The ones that make PC gaming worth doing, and affordable. They are also the bread and butter of GPUs, far outselling everything else.

Cards like the 3060 and 3060Ti are oxy moron cards. IE, what's the bloody point of putting RT stuff on them when they are not capable of running it? therefore adding absolutely nothing else to where it matters - gaming.

We need a step back to Pascal/Maxwell. No one needs this crap, no one wants to pay the leccy bill to have it and no one wants to pay £2000 for a bloody GPU. Even those who will buy the 4090 don't want to pay two grand for it. But that is what it costs. It's absolutely insane.

If AMD can make, say, a 7600 and 7700 that perform like a 3070 for less than £450? or £450? they will succeed big time IMO. Apparently they have shrunk the Infinity cache section, lowered it (because they've sped it up and made it more tidy) and so on. If they cut them diamond shaped (if they are small enough) then they can get a lot out of a wafer. If they don't have all of the RT crap that means less heat, less power, smaller coolers, cheaper across the board.

BOE again messes up, only 2.25%, needed to be 2.50% minimum to try and help the pound, because of course the US went up by 0.75%, pound already weakening.

BOE/GOV has like 2-3 weeks to try and sort this out otherwise its just. :(
presumably they are worried about borrowing costs, if you have a big mortgage and are not fixed (or coming to the end of your fixed period) then yeah jacking interests rates up compounded by the cost of living is tough ask

Back
Top Bottom