• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

With all this new DLSS 3 power, I'd have thought they'd have been pushing 8k gaming a lot more, a la 3090 marketing. Guess they know themselves that it's too much of a stretch? Or has there been mention of it?

What core naming convention? If you're referring to the AD10x numbers, there's been no consistency with those between generations either.

According to Nvidia's graphs, the 4080-12Gb provides almost as much performance as a 3090Ti on current gen games without fancy tricks and masses of RT (and romps ahead with them). Since the card comes in at a third or more less than the 3090 Ti it presents a much better value, and against 30x0 cards of similar price it represents a big increase in performance. I don't see there's much to argue about here.

Now if it turns out that Nvidia's chart is so much hot air then, sure, that picture will change.

It doesnt though. 3090TI are around £1100 now. The 3080 12gb (3070) wont be an FE card so its list price is irrelevant. Looking at the prices of 4090 and 3080 16gb AIB cards, I suspect you wont be able to buy a 4080 12gb for under £1100.

So you can basically buy a 4080 12gb with slightly worse performance than a 3090ti for the same price but the new card will "shine" only with next gen games with DLSS 3

Last edited:
I do, the 3090 Ti was never good value to begin with so you're comparing something that is bad value with something that's not quiet as bad and claiming that makes it good value.

I'm not claiming it's good value. I'm claiming the 40x0 better value than the 30x0 cards.

Personally, I'm not going to be buying any of the cards above about £600 because I don't think they offer good value, but I presume the people who buy 3090Tis do.

Last edited:
It doesnt though. 3090TI are around £1100 now. The 3080 12gb (3070) wont be an FE card so its list price is irrelevant. Looking at the prices of 4090 and 3080 16gb AIB cards, I suspect you wont be able to buy a 4080 12gb for under £1100.

So you can basically buy a 4080 12gb with slightly worse performance than a 3090ti for the same price but the new card will "shine" only with next gen games with DLSS 3

To add.. if you looked at the charts on this thread, the 4080 gimped edition is actually weaker than a 3090 in regular games. If you just time the deals right your better value may come from a heavily slashed 3090 flavour.

#doubt. You can get 3090 for that price, not 3090Ti. Unless you're talking used, but comparing used to new, used will always be cheaper.

First hit on google and i cant link is a MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB GAMING X TRIO Ampere Graphics Card for £1169. brand new.

Granted I didnt got searching every shop but assumed if one shop is now £1169 then they all must be around that price.

Just checked.

Same shop has ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB AMP EXTREME HOLO Ampere Graphics Card for £999. Point proven. That will be cheaper than any 4080 12gb you will be able to buy. And thats Zotac flagship model, not some clown card.

nVIDIA have priced their new 4 series cards so they can sell all their old 3 series stock.

Last edited:
I'm not claiming it's good value. I'm claiming the 40x0 better value than the 30x0 cards.

Personally, I'm not going to be buying any of the cards above about £600 because I don't think they offer good value, but I presume the people who buy 3090Tis do.
Sorry that's my mistake, i changed your use of the word better to good without realising, apologises.

Sure the 40x0 is better value when compared to something that was ridiculously expensive, something that was (in my words) bad value, but that seems like saying Ferrari LaFerrari is better value because the Bugatti La Voiture Noire exists. Sure it's the better value of the two but they're both bad value, it's just one is worse than the other.

I will be buying a 4090 day one – which of course makes me part of the problem. Not sorry. Not sure which AIB model yet. Quite like the look of the Zotac, but I had a bad Zotac card in the 10-series generation, which has put me off the company. The ROG Strix is often my first go-to, but the RS 4090s are pretty ugly IMO. Anyone else plumping for a 40-series day one? Which model you thinking and why?

8k was a stupid claim at the time. I want to see them actually use RTX IO, though I think as its in place it's for game developers now, rather than nvidia to actually make use of it.

Think it’s MS we’re all waiting on to enable it for developers and consumers, isn’t it?

Maybe the 4090 (insomuch as that extra money actually buys you some extra performance) - Re: the 4080's - one of them is a bit slower, the other is a bit faster, both will cost within a few hundred pounds of the 3090/Ti - however, the 3090Ti is the best Ampere silicon nVidia produced (it's a complete GA-102) and undervolts/overclocks very well - it also comes with 24GB of VRAM with the same bandwidth as the 4090.

I'm not suggesting anyone buy one but their value proposition (compared to the stupidly expensive 4080's) is ...ok? (clown world I know.)

The only thing the 4080's have going for them vs the 3090Ti is the improved (and currently unproven) RT cores and nVidia's over-hyping of their fps doubler. Now, DLSS 3.0 may be amazing - but the 3090 was 'an 8k capable card' and that Marbles demo that wowed everyone was utterly unplayable even on a 3090Ti - nVidia uh... 'bends' the truth every time. We'll see how much they're bending it this time soon.

I will be buying a 4090 day one – which of course makes me part of the problem. Not sorry. Not sure which AIB model yet. Quite like the look of the Zotac, but I had a bad Zotac card in the 10-series generation, which has put me off the company. The ROG Strix is often my first go-to, but the RS 4090s are pretty ugly IMO. Anyone else plumping for a 40-series day one? Which model you thinking and why?
I bet you was one of the folks here bashing nvidia.

This is what I said a few days ago. Watch how many here who were bashing nvidia all buy the card anyway lmao

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
I bet you was one of the folks here bashing nvidia.

This is what I said a few days ago. Watch how many here who were bashing nvidia all buy the card anyway lmao
Nope. I haven't been on this forum since the 3090 came out and I bought it day-one from Overclockers. Odd thing to accuse someone of. These new cards are expensive, but the performance justifies it if you can use said performance. I have no beef with NVIDIA at all.

Something that's dawned on me, if the 4080's are so drastically gimped in relation to the 4090 (going on this PCGamer article they're more akin to a 3060 Ti) then what's the actual 4070, 60 and so on going to be like. If they gimp them any more there won't be much GPU left.

e: I've not run the numbers myself but going on that article it seems...
3080 was roughly 80% of the 3090
4080 is roughly 50% of the 4090

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom