• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Something that's dawned on me, if the 4080's are so drastically gimped in relation to the 4090 (going on this PCGamer article they're more akin to a 3060 Ti) then what's the actual 4070, 60 and so on going to be like. If they gimp them any more there won't be much GPU left.

e: I've not run the numbers myself but going on that article it seems...
3080 was roughly 80% of the 3090
4080 is roughly 50% of the 4090

So they can cheap out and gimp them, then claim they are faster using the locked into 4 series DLSS3, profits.

100% correct.
It leaves the door open, but I'm not sure they want to go through, or may even be able to. One thing that is still relevant is the imapct of Covid and war on supply lines. Sure, the health impact of Covid has reduced dramatically, but the shock that caused to the business world is still well in place - There's more than one reason prices aren't going down again, but still rising.

To manufacture for a launch today, products, wafers and transport would have needed to have been purchased a while ago....When it was still very expensive. Might not be something people want to hear, but it will be a factor in these prices. Which I agree seem to high, even taking this into account.

Last edited:
Everyones saying the 4080 12gb is the 4070 but when you look at the cuda difference the 4080 16gb has 40.6% less than a 4090 which in itself puts it in xx70 class territory while the 4080 12gb lines up perfectly with the 3060ti from last gen.

3090 > 3080 = -17% less cuda
3090 > 3070 = -43% less cuda
3090 > 3060ti = -53% less cuda
4090 > 4080 16gb = -40% less cuda
4090 > 4080 12gb = -53% less cuda

Even looking at the weaksauce 2080 its still closer to a 2080ti than a 4080 16 is to a 4090

2080ti > 2080 = -29% less cuda

rasta is on the path of diminishing returns, unless you are okay with 5 slot graphic cards.. its pretty straightforward to see what dlss brings in terms of efficiency
reviewers seem to be stuck in the past if they cant see an obvious technological revolution, they are going to eat those words 5 years down the line and would have lost all credibility
but i am only looking at the 4090 when i make these statements, but still i believe this is the right time to consider dlss as a core offering instead of a shiny new add-on
Ok, but they’re selling people expensive hardware and what you’re actually getting is a software solution!

Nope. I haven't been on this forum since the 3090 came out and I bought it day-one from Overclockers. Odd thing to accuse someone of. These new cards are expensive, but the performance justifies it if you can use said performance. I have no beef with NVIDIA at all.
Not sure how you can say that without seeing any independent review of performance.

If that is the case, I have a potion I can sell you that cures all known ailments :p

I will be buying a 4090 day one – which of course makes me part of the problem. Not sorry. Not sure which AIB model yet. Quite like the look of the Zotac, but I had a bad Zotac card in the 10-series generation, which has put me off the company. The ROG Strix is often my first go-to, but the RS 4090s are pretty ugly IMO. Anyone else plumping for a 40-series day one? Which model you thinking and why?
I'm not sure, I really want one of the AIO ones but they aren't coming out at launch :(

I think I'll either go FE and try and go water cooling or I'm thinking of going to Strix.

Something that's dawned on me, if the 4080's are so drastically gimped in relation to the 4090 (going on this PCGamer article they're more akin to a 3060 Ti) then what's the actual 4070, 60 and so on going to be like. If they gimp them any more there won't be much GPU left.

If I was to guess I expect the 4080 12GB to be a relatively short lifespan card (possibly why no FE model?) with it being retired in favour of a "cheaper" 4070Ti with a slightly cut down 4070 appearing beneath it.

Effectively allowing Nvidia to cream extra for 70 tier parts from the get go, and then play the "look how great value we are" card by introducing a nearly as quick ~£750 70 class card.

I don't see how else a 70 tier card can fit in the product stack. Unless they are really leaning on DLSS3.0 to make the 4xxx look so much faster than the 3xxx card and all other comparisons be damned.

Well either that or the 4070 will simply be a slightly cut down 4080 12GB with a MSRP in the £800+ region.

I'm not excusing nVidia's pricing but for this software solution to work, it requires specific components and god knows how many man hours have gone into developing the software.
I'm sure they worked all through the 30xx series life-cycle without ever once getting it running on 30xx series cards ;)

It's worth noting that DLSS 2.0 was released publicly in April 2020 (5 months before the launch of the 30 series) given that the only major new component in DLSS 3.0 *is* the frame doubler, it's safe to assume that feature's been in development for at least 2.5 years (using 20 and 30 series cards to prototype it). It's *possible* that hardware changes were added to Ada to facilitate/improve it, but it would have been up and running to some degree on 30 series cards in nVidia's labs long before Ada was fabbed.

This reeks of a marketing decision to me.

Last edited:

My reading is the mid range and low end aren't actually going to be much more powerful. Maybe 10-20% faster. I'm hoping for better power efficiency and better prices but we'll see

I see some of the 4090 cards have a price added in the description now - £1999...wowzers

the-rock.gif

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom