• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
Well last week Gibbo said if the pound to dollar went back to 1.14 then the lower end cards would be at MSRP and the top end cards would be 2k. Pound to dollar is climbing now and at 1.15 and if this keeps going then the cards should be topping out at 2k not 2.3k but what will the prices be on release? My money is on a healthy price increase irrespective of the pound being higher.

The increase is irrelevant. And that applies to the 4080 and the 4070 as well....

(too expensive) X (%increase/100) = (too expensive)

There is simply no way I am about to spend £1300-1500 on a 4080. NVIDIA can get stuffed.

I mean £2000 for a 4090? I just wouldn't buy one on principle.

Soldato
I can but I won't. You know who will? The ones that can't but feel like they must have it - kind of like what happens with many top iPhone buyers.

Same here. I could but won't. I mean it makes no sense, the card will only last two years then the next generation will be out. No way I can justify in my mind £1000 a year for graphics cards. NVIDIA really need to get a new mindset. I might buy an intel just to abandon NVIDIA.

Associate
Same here. I could but won't. I mean it makes no sense, the card will only last two years then the next generation will be out. No way I can justify in my mind £1000 a year for graphics cards. NVIDIA really need to get a new mindset. I might buy an intel just to abandon NVIDIA.
I just don't think of it that way. I'll get £700 or so back from selling my 3090. That makes the 4090 a thousand quid, give or take. So £500 a year generationally. £40 a month, £10 a week. It's worth it to me.

Associate
I just don't think of it that way. I'll get £700 or so back from selling my 3090. That makes the 4090 a thousand quid, give or take. So £500 a year generationally. £40 a month, £10 a week. It's worth it to me.
And then this will turn into £20 a week, then £30, etc. if people aren't careful and happily throw monies at corpo. They have unlimited greed and will take as much as is possible, till customers say no to such practices. That aside, this sounds like subscription - I can only imagine the $.$ in NVIDIA CEO's eyes when he thinks about putting cards into sub instead of selling them. :) Would you sign up to such option?

Last edited:
Associate
And then this will turn into £20 a week, then £30, etc. if people aren't careful and happily throw monies at corpo. They have unlimited greed and will take as much as is possible, till customers say no to such practices. That aside, this sounds like subscription - I can only imagine the $.$ in NVIDIA CEO's eyes when he thinks about putting cards into sub instead of selling them. :) Would you sign up to such option?
The slippery slope fallacy is just that. A fallacy, and not a proper argument. The situation now is on the outskirts of tolerable, and worth the money to me personally. Beyond that, neither of us can speak to the future, but I don't see GPUs going significantly up in price in the future for a number of reasons.

This generation was designed and built on the assumption that mining would still be a thing. That people would pay whatever because of supply and demand. I predict a lot of 4090s left on shelves come Christmas, and that the prices will drop next year. I still believe this sort of GPU pricing to be a blip — one that will normalise to more sensible pricing in future once mining is fully out of the equation (IE not present during the design phase). And I think NVIDIA will be looking more to value for money for the next generation after Ada because this generation is going to be a disaster for them. All that 30-series stock still in the wind. Literally 20 million GPUs being sold by miners on the second-hand market.

Yeah, the pricing now is hard to swallow, but when you look at the contributing factors to said pricing, you realise it's a anomaly, not a direction of travel.

Associate
Soldato
More JayzTwoBraincells nonsense. Gamers Nexus rubbished it during their news video today.

Soldato
"Things get worse when you consider that an adapter might be drawing it's full wattage from one of the connectors rather than distributing the power level evenly"

I seriously doubt this.

Associate
Caporegime
"Things get worse when you consider that an adapter might be drawing it's full wattage from one of the connectors rather than distributing the power level evenly"

I seriously doubt this.
this is some clickbait crap, you really think nvidia would be selling fire hazards

Associate
so the problem with that line of thinking is 'what about everyone else' cos whilst that is OK for you game developers aren't building games for YOU and the impact is not limited to YOU it raises the floor for others who look at the 3060 and what might be the 4060 in disgust as the floor rises to meet the ceiling you are happy to raise.

I do get the personal argument and you are of course free to make your own decisions but don't be blind to the effect it has on the wider industry do so knowing you are in fact part of the machine that stifles development and profits shareholders. You could spend 10k on a sim rig and that is worth it to YOU but the difference is it doesn't effect the rest of the market like a GPU does and that is not YOUR fault Nvidia just engineers it that way.

Food for thought, or not as you wish.

Soldato
but I don't see GPUs going significantly up in price in the future for a number of reasons.
That's what people said when the 2080ti came out and now we're almost double that in just 4 years, so long as people keep buying them Nvidia will keep raising the price. 4 years from now they will likely be 3k and we'll have people on here trying to rationalise the cost by saying it's only £4 a day which is a sandwich and a cuppa from Gregs etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom