• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
Has anyone tried or ordered the Cablemod 16 Pin to 3 x PCIE direct cable to their older PSU's ones that are not ATX 3.0?

Does it work ok like the Nvidia adaptor supplied with current 4090's?

I was going to change my Seasonic 850w Focus Gold PSU for the newer Vertex range from Seasonic when available but I figured it's a waste of money, My PSU is only 3yrs old and I have stress tested my 4090 with this PSU with various benchmarks and games and all is good so I figured Maybe it's worth getting a Cablemod straight through cable and the right angled adaptor when it's available to finish the job off because right now that ****** cable supplied with GPUs is far too short you can't do anything with it to hide the mess lol.

Depending on the price of the adaptors from Cablemod though along with the cable also isn't going to cheap in the sense off if it's going to almost cost a quarter to half of a new PSU for a Cablemod cable and adaptor is that route worth it or just bite the bullet and get a new PSU when available, I can't make that decision and undecided.

Edit oh and what's the cheapest method to order from Cablemod EU Store or the US Store? Don't they charge some ridiculous flat fee depending on destination or which store you order from?

I don't want to order the cable now when the adaptor isn't reselling yet and pay twice for carriage and I can't see any UK retailers getting them right angled adaptors in stock anytime soon.

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone tried or ordered the Cablemod 16 Pin to 3 x PCIE direct cable to their older PSU's ones that are not ATX 3.0?

Does it work ok like the Nvidia adaptor supplied with current 4090's?

I was going to change my Seasonic 850w Focus Gold PSU for the newer Vertex range from Seasonic when available but I figured it's a waste of money, My PSU is only 3yrs old and I have stress tested my 4090 with this PSU with various benchmarks and games and all is good so I figured Maybe it's worth getting a Cablemod straight through cable and the right angled adaptor when it's available to finish the job off because right now that ****** cable supplied with GPUs is far too short you can't do anything with it to hide the mess lol.

Depending on the price of the adaptors from Cablemod though along with the cable also isn't going to cheap in the sense off if it's going to almost cost a quarter to half of a new PSU for a Cablemod cable and adaptor is that route worth it or just bite the bullet and get a new PSU when available, I can't make that decision and undecided.

Edit oh and what's the cheapest method to order from Cablemod EU Store or the US Store? Don't they charge some ridiculous flat fee depending on destination or which store you order from?

I don't want to order the cable now when the adaptor isn't reselling yet and pay twice for carriage and I can't see any UK retailers getting them right angled adaptors in stock anytime soon.

I think you have to be careful with your PSU and manufacturers cables. I was reading the specs for the Corsair cable, and it seems that they say the cable limits the power draw to about half of the psu rating. This they rounded down so it would be 300W for an 850W power supply. This is because the 4000 series can apparently spike at double their power just for an instant at times and the power supply must be able to cope with it. I quote from Corsair....

Furthermore, customers can also order the official Corsair VHPWR 600W cables compatible with all Corsair type-4 PSUs. These connect directly to the PSU via the existing PSU-side connectors for unfettered power straight for your new graphics card without the need for a PCIe adapter. Sense wires are configured to 600W for 1200W rated Corsair PSUs and higher while they are limited to 450W for 1000W or higher PSUs and 300W for 750W or higher.

Corsair may not be the same as what you intend to buy but it could well be that whatever you do buy, you could end up unintentionally limiting yourself if you have an 850W power supply.

Last edited:

Rup

Rup

Associate
Gota agree with babeltech...
"PC gaming pales in comparison to what golfers, skiers, audiophiles, and many other hobbyists pay for their entertainment."

Soldato
Wow guys, Babeltechreviews have put together a HUGE roundup of games tested on 3090 and 4090 including VR games (apparently SkyrimVR will be added soon) https://babeltechreviews.com/rtx-4090-performance-45-games-vr-pro-apps-benchmarked/4/

The 4090 is shockingly, disgustingly fast... generally 80-100% faster at 4k+ and a true next-gen upgrade if ever I saw one. No matter what you think of the price, this is the card to get to weather the next 2 years of unconstrained 4k and VR gaming with full eye candy. :eek: :D

100%. I've had huge gains in games going from 3090FE to Asus Strix 4090. 4090 uses less power in some games too, which is very unexpected. More in others though.

Also saw a big jump when I replaced the 12900k with my 13900k in my z690 hero motherboard. Minimum FPS values especially, this is at 4K. Vast majority of games are now locked at 120fps on my CX48 OLED, or at 144fps when using my ASUS PG32UQ (displayport with DSC, 10bit RGB).

Last edited:
Associate
Gota agree with babeltech...
"PC gaming pales in comparison to what golfers, skiers, audiophiles, and many other hobbyists pay for their entertainment."
True, but with many of those types of things, THAT is the hobby with no cheaper alternative - PC gaming has an alternative in console gaming. Before the counter, crazy golf is not the same :D

Also, with a lot of those outlays, you get something that lasts longer for your investment - guitars, golf clubs, speakers are capable of providing the same level of entertainment for decades. PC (and console) expenditure does not provide the same level of performance in relation to advancement of tech for as long.

The above is only true if trying to keep playing AAA games at full blast, one of the great things about PC gaming is the ability to build to your specification or budget.

Rup

Rup

Associate
True, but with many of those types of things, THAT is the hobby with no cheaper alternative - PC gaming has an alternative in console gaming. Before the counter, crazy golf is not the same :D

Also, with a lot of those outlays, you get something that lasts longer for your investment - guitars, golf clubs, speakers are capable of providing the same level of entertainment for decades. PC (and console) expenditure does not provide the same level of performance in relation to advancement of tech for as long.

The above is only true if trying to keep playing AAA games at full blast, one of the great things about PC gaming is the ability to build to your specification or budget.
Agreed you can chose to spend whatever you want for your hobby.
Golf clubs may last years but golf membership fees are a fortune.
The audiophiles I've seen are constantly upgrading their stuff. Most of them tend to be older and I bet their ears are not capable of telling the difference, big placebo effect. With the latest PC stuff you can see the difference.
As for console gaming, I can't play shooters with a controller, have to use keyboard/mouse... going right back to my Doom playing days :)
Also I mostly play racing games and the steering wheel/pedal experience is way better on PC.
It's how I'm justifying it anyway :)

Soldato
Wow guys, Babeltechreviews have put together a HUGE roundup of games tested on 3090 and 4090 including VR games (apparently SkyrimVR will be added soon) https://babeltechreviews.com/rtx-4090-performance-45-games-vr-pro-apps-benchmarked/4/

The 4090 is shockingly, disgustingly fast... generally 80-100% faster at 4k+ and a true next-gen upgrade if ever I saw one. No matter what you think of the price, this is the card to get to weather the next 2 years of unconstrained 4k and VR gaming with full eye candy. :eek: :D
This is possibly going to sound weird but I went from a 1080ti to a 3090 which was a pretty big uplift, but 4K wasn't quiet there yet in some games. Going from the 3090 to the 4090 I personally feel that it feels like a bigger uplift, being able to game in 4K60+ and in most cases 4K120+ is insane.

Associate
Agreed you can chose to spend whatever you want for your hobby.
Golf clubs may last years but golf membership fees are a fortune.
The audiophiles I've seen are constantly upgrading their stuff. Most of them tend to be older and I bet their ears are not capable of telling the difference, big placebo effect. With the latest PC stuff you can see the difference.
As for console gaming, I can't play shooters with a controller, have to use keyboard/mouse... going right back to my Doom playing days :)
Also I mostly play racing games and the steering wheel/pedal experience is way better on PC.
It's how I'm justifying it anyway :)
No need to justify it, it's your money and if you want to do it and can afford it then go for it is my view, I certainly did! Very fair point about membership fees too with the golf example, and I don't disagree with any of your points, I'm just always wary of justification on the basis of "Well, THEY do it".

Associate
I think you have to be careful with your PSU and manufacturers cables. I was reading the specs for the Corsair cable, and it seems that they say the cable limits the power draw to about half of the psu rating. This they rounded down so it would be 300W for an 850W power supply. This is because the 4000 series can apparently spike at double their power just for an instant at times and the power supply must be able to cope with it. I quote from Corsair....

Furthermore, customers can also order the official Corsair VHPWR 600W cables compatible with all Corsair type-4 PSUs. These connect directly to the PSU via the existing PSU-side connectors for unfettered power straight for your new graphics card without the need for a PCIe adapter. Sense wires are configured to 600W for 1200W rated Corsair PSUs and higher while they are limited to 450W for 1000W or higher PSUs and 300W for 750W or higher.

Corsair may not be the same as what you intend to buy but it could well be that whatever you do buy, you could end up unintentionally limiting yourself if you have an 850W power supply.
Yeah logic would say to get a new PSU if these GPUs do or can spike to 2 times the power rating.

The thing is Seasonic are not offering a cable to purchase at all only a freebie for 1000w and upwards owners but this PSU albeit only 850w does have 3 dedicated PCIE outputs direct on the PSU itself that's why I thought the Cablemod to 3 x PCIE direct cable but I don't see any warnings or specs regarding Cablemods direct through cable other than them saying it can handle 600w no problem but yes how have they wired the sense pins at the 16 Pin end compared to the Nvidia adaptor cable that comes with the GPUs? Who knows.

I'm not sure what to do now for the best, Wait and get a new PSU, I really wanted Seasonic as they have been reliable for me but not available until mid December apparently at the earliest.

In all honesty I really cannot believe some major PSU manufacturers were not ready for this launch it seems ludicrous, It's like having a new CPU launch without a motherboard for it smh.

Soldato

I'm seeing the below using their cable with a rm850x, everything with default settings, no tweaks etc. This is just in Q2RTX

Soldato
This is possibly going to sound weird but I went from a 1080ti to a 3090 which was a pretty big uplift, but 4K wasn't quiet there yet in some games. Going from the 3090 to the 4090 I personally feel that it feels like a bigger uplift, being able to game in 4K60+ and in most cases 4K120+ is insane.
This is how I'm feeling right now, I've been gaming on 4k 144hz for the last 5 months or so now and I've had a 3090, 3080ti and 6950XT during that time (case issues and obsession with SFF no more). Since installing my RTX 4090 Suprim X it's absolutely blown me away, more so than I could have even imagined. This is the real 4K improvement I've been after, there really is no compromise required to hit that 144 fps level, I'm loving it so far.

Associate
This is how I'm feeling right now, I've been gaming on 4k 144hz for the last 5 months or so now and I've had a 3090, 3080ti and 6950XT during that time (case issues and obsession with SFF no more). Since installing my RTX 4090 Suprim X it's absolutely blown me away, more so than I could have even imagined. This is the real 4K improvement I've been after, there really is no compromise required to hit that 144 fps level, I'm loving it so far.
What cpu are you using

Associate
I'm seeing the below using their cable with a rm850x, everything with default settings, no tweaks etc. This is just in Q2RTX

This looks normal to me or am I missing something?

I haven't actually tried GPUz leaving it running for while gaming for a bit but I have tried Hwinfo and worryingly according to Hwinfo there's a power rail spiking at near 600w on my Inno3d which only has the 3 way adaptor out of the box, I'd send a pic but Imgur is broken on Android 11 for some reason I can't seem to upload a pic there.

I don't know if that power reading is a placebo or what but I'm going to test a wall power meter and record a session at some point.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

The thing is over two years ago that was the pinnacle. Your now comparing a brand new board on a shrunken process. Your also excusing the fact it even more expensive than the previous gen, I mean although a greater performance than 50% is nice, your certainly paying for that.

Back
Top Bottom