• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
Very frustrating situation for people like me.

Currently running a 2080Ti, bought it shortly after launch. Struggled to score a 30-series card @ reasonable price & subsequently sat out the 30-series altogether.
Really want a 4090 now, but am unwilling to pay much above RRP. Was hoping to be able to get a card & water block for 2K or thereabouts

Caporegime
I think they will regret making those plugs and sockets so "diminutive". I mean they really don't look capable of taking that amount of power. The sockets are also in a stupid location that necessitates the cable being bent.

The problem is that is where the circuit board ends so very hard to put the sockets anywhere else. The issue is the cooler is twice the size of the circuit board.

Soldato
4090 24GB was marketed at prosumers, no gamer needs that much vram. At 1600 as a gamer im buying a lifetime Gamepass, a Series X a PS5, a pro controller and 3 titles
Tell that to the reviewers who review it as a gamers card. Gamers will lavish this up and take it word for word.

Soldato
The thing I keep thinking is how games are there out now that actually needs a 4090

It's not the games so much, but the high resolution and high hz panels, high end VR gamers, cockpit simmers driving very high resolutions from multiple panels that 4090's are for and still not enough. Some games will still make a 4090 chug, especially when you turn on RT or something like MSFS.

As someone mentions above, 4090 for a long while will see games at 4k, though these days some games are released in such a dreadful state and are alpha releases at best. DLSS/FSR is there to help though for games that chug or games that are poorly optimized on release - a performance stretching technology.

Someone else above said about Unreal 5 games - which is all very well but to sell a game you make the game for the hardware, not the hardware for the game. Visual clarity wise you need no more than 4k 120hz, though I've never seen 8k, but as I get older and my peep holes degrade - 4k'll be enough for me with the colors from OLED. 4090 or AMD's equivalent (if they compete) will do me for a good while. I no longer buy games on release, I wait for the expansions then get the main game usually coinciding with half the cost.

Caporegime
Seeing the 3090 are now selling secondhand for £700 kind of lets you know you’re going be losing around £1300 when it comes time to sell a £2000 4090 :(
It lets you know you can expect to lose up to 50% of the GPU cost, which is nothing new when selling a previous gen card after a new generation has already released. Plus, there was an unsually large flood of Ampere cards on the market due to miners which of course created more supply than demand, further lowering prices.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's fine, bit of t-cut. It'll buff out :p Saw that post on reddit but haven't actually read it yet. Wonder if they'll get anywhere with an RMA? You'd hope so.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom