• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
In comparison to the £649 MSRP and the performance uplift it's still crap value.
I'll repeat myself. Price is what you pay value is what you get. I got VALUE and ENJOYMENT for me owning that card for the duration I did. The fact you couldn't get the 3080 even a year ago without paying scalper prices throws the £649 RRP out the window.

Last edited:
Soldato
My Cablemods cable turned up today :D will still need an adapter to get it perfectly straight but this will have to do for now as with the side panel on it starts to compress the cable a little bit but no worse than the Nvidia one and that hasn't melted in 2 weeks of use :cry: Its so much nicer having a single cable to deal with and get a nice clean run to the psu in the back where it terminates to 3 x 8 pin ( 600w if needed ) .
Seems like a good cable. I can see Cablemods doing a lot of business. Interesting that it terminates in the 3 x 8 pin. I think the Corsair one terminates in 2 x 8.

Soldato
I think you're in a much better situation with the Cablemod cable as, even if you bend it close to the connector, each 'row' of six pins/cables can move independently of the other, allowing for the larger bend radius without pulling the pins back.

Associate
Seems like a good cable. I can see Cablemods doing a lot of business. Interesting that it terminates in the 3 x 8 pin. I think the Corsair one terminates in 2 x 8.
The quality and construction of it is top notch but i expected none the less as i have the rest of their psu cables in my pc and was very happy with them , its not even that expensive for this one cable at £34 delivered ( shipping and import inc ). You get 2 options with this cable from them as they offer both a x3 - 8 pin or x4 - 8pin , either will supply the required 600w no problem at all so just go with the one that has less wires to deal with being x3 8 pins :D Corsairs one does indeed terminate to just 2 plugs and that will work as well but i choose this due to the reasons above :)

Soldato
Maybe not :o

AMD Won’t Use Gen5 16-Pin “12VHPWR” Power Connectors On Radeon RX 7000 “RDNA 3” GPUs​

AMD Goes The Safer Route, Drops Gen5 16-Pin Connector Plans For Their Radeon RX 7000 "RDNA 3" GPUs​

https://wccftech.com/amd-wont-use-gen5-16-pin-12vhpwr-power-connector-on-radeon-rx-7000-rdna-3-gpus/

They saw it coming! Probably tested it and thought nope!

Soldato
Associate
I think you're in a much better situation with the Cablemod cable as, even if you bend it close to the connector, each 'row' of six pins/cables can move independently of the other, allowing for the larger bend radius without pulling the pins back.
They recommend to not bend it until 35mm from the connector which is where i have placed the first comb for reference but i agree the way it is on mine i honestly think it will be fine but will of course be keeping an eye on it knowing what has happened with the stock cable ... will say it certainly is a fair bit thicker than the stock cable.

https://cablemod.com/12vhpwr/

Soldato
Seems a bit late for them to make this change, unless they never had any intention to use it. :confused:
Or the GPU is coming out a lot later than people think.

But is the Nov 3rd date merely a launch rather than availability? Zen4 was 'launched' a long time before it was actually available.

Associate
Much as I can't stand him generally, I think Jay has hit the nail on the head in this video:

Seems bending is pulling the connections out slightly on the 'outside' of the bend radius, resulting in a smaller contact area and thus more heat.

It's not so much "smaller contact area" but rather a pin that has pulled out slightly will create a tiny gap and introduce arcing. This may not be visible to the eye.

This creates heat as the electricity jumps from pin to cable contact and heats up the air between the two.

Soldato
It's not so much "smaller contact area" but rather a pin that has pulled out slightly will create a tiny gap and introduce arcing. This may not be visible to the eye.

This creates heat as the electricity jumps from pin to cable contact and heats up the air between the two.

Well a complete loss of contact and resulting arcing would be a worst case scenario but even a slightly pulled out pin and the resulting reduction in contact area would create a lot more heat.

Permabanned
My Cablemods cable turned up today :D will still need an adapter to get it perfectly straight but this will have to do for now as with the side panel on it starts to compress the cable a little bit but no worse than the Nvidia one and that hasn't melted in 2 weeks of use :cry: Its so much nicer having a single cable to deal with and get a nice clean run to the psu in the back where it terminates to 3 x 8 pin ( 600w if needed ) .
Lovely build!

Soldato
But is the Nov 3rd date merely a launch rather than availability? Zen4 was 'launched' a long time before it was actually available.
I’m assuming an announcement but I expect the first cards to ship sometime in November.
If cards can be bought in November, I expect them to be in container ships on their way to the shop right now. Shipping from the east is about 6 weeks. So production would have started early this month late last month.

Edit: air freight is an option and is basically next day delivery but it is expensive so it wouldn’t be the first choice IMO

Last edited:
Soldato

Does the new connector not have a 'locking pin' type of arrangement like the old style connectors?

Back
Top Bottom