• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Which versions of the 4090 are suffering the most coil whine or noisy fans?

I’ve decided I now want a 4090 despite saying a 3090Ti was enough :D I just want to spend some money tbh.
My Inno3D X3 has no coil whine at all that I can detect. Obviously, results can vary from card to card within even the same model, but there does seem to be a pattern of the Inno3D cards being quiet. Even in fan noise terms, it's the quietest card I've had for a few generations (since my 980).

i have the trio i like it mine has no coil whine i can hear, quiet under load, bought it on launch day £1699. only issue i have is that it continues to run at high speeds after ive finished gaming idk what it is but i doubt its a fault with the card its more likely something with my pc setup.
Do you have more than one monitor hooked up?

i have the trio i like it mine has no coil whine i can hear, quiet under load, bought it on launch day £1699. only issue i have is that it continues to run at high speeds after ive finished gaming idk what it is but i doubt its a fault with the card its more likely something with my pc setup.

Probably a daft question, but are you on the latest driver?

Remaining on high clocks after gaming was an issue with the last but two drivers.

My FE should be arriving sometime today.

Really don't like the idea of using the stock 12VHP adapter.
Would the following be the sufficient (as a stop gap) until the CableMod adapter becomes available?

I bought this one, using it with my Zotac 4090 since yesterday. Seems to be working perfectly fine, played a bunch of RDR2 and did some benchmarks on Cyberpunk 2077, no issues.
I don't care that it's 3x because I'm planning on undervolting the card anyway, so there's no way I'm going to need all 600W 4x cable would provide.

Igor's lab did a solid TDP test against recent high end graphics cards and apparently AMD have been telling porkies (as usual) the 6950XT actually pulls almost 440 watts compared to the 4090 which pulls 383 watts.

Do you have more than one monitor hooked up?
nope. i have a VR headset plugged into my gpu as well as the monitor but it's never been an issue before.

Probably a daft question, but are you on the latest driver?

Remaining on high clocks after gaming was an issue with the last but two drivers.
not a daft question at all, i updated to the latest drivers, still the same.

Igor's lab did a solid TDP test against recent high end graphics cards and apparently AMD have been telling porkies (as usual) the 6950XT actually pulls almost 440 watts compared to the 4090 which pulls 383 watts.

Apparently you cant read graphs either since 3 pin RTX 4090 pulls 383 and the 6950xt is 339. 4 pin 4090 is far higher. Literally the very first graph on the page you linked.

Apparently you cant read graphs either since 3 pin RTX 4090 pulls 383 and the 6950xt is 339. 4 pin 4090 is far higher. Literally the very first graph on the page you linked.
Read the AMD bit.

Last edited:
If it were me, and you haven't done so already, I would try DDU, I've used that successfully in the past with some driver issues.

And unless you have a specific use for Nvidia Experience, I would also recommend using a clean installation tool, and just install the driver and Physx, been doing that for a while now, gets rid of all the excess Nvidia dross, telemetry and otherwise.

Meh, i didn't want to quote myself, I'll blame it on the tablet.

Last edited:
I bought that one (just arrived) - its had good reviews but is only 3 into 1 rather than 4 so not sure if that has an impact?

I bought this one, using it with my Zotac 4090 since yesterday. Seems to be working perfectly fine, played a bunch of RDR2 and did some benchmarks on Cyberpunk 2077, no issues.
I don't care that it's 3x because I'm planning on undervolting the card anyway, so there's no way I'm going to need all 600W 4x cable would provide.

Thanks guys. Ordered, should arrive tomorrow.
Gives me time to sort out my Fanatec Podium & triple screen setup.

If it were me, and you haven't done so already, I would try DDU, I've used that successfully in the past with some driver issues.

i think i found the culprit just now, when my VR headset software is running (which usually is most of the time i'm on my pc) my gpu is boosting. close that and it drops down to idle. somewhat relieved now, i knew the card wasn't at fault. idk why this VR software (PiTool) would make the card run at full speed though :confused: there's no fancy graphical interface or anything.

DO you have any issues with fan noise on the Zotac? I read a few posts on Reddit saying it is pretty noisy.

I think Zoltac people claim don't coil whine so much but have noisier fans, someone on here said the zoltac fans were too much for them.

just get any card that has a vapor chamber

I recently picked up a Zotac Trinity non-OC and not experiencing any coil whine. Some people have commented on the noisy fans but fingers crossed I'm not noticing this at all yet. I'm only hitting 55C max temp in games/benchmarks though. I did crank the fans to 90-100% in Afterburner to test and that was a different story I think my case lifted an inch off my desk!

i think i found the culprit just now, when my VR headset software is running (which usually is most of the time i'm on my pc) my gpu is boosting. close that and it drops down to idle. somewhat relieved now, i knew the card wasn't at fault. idk why this VR software (PiTool) would make the card run at full speed though :confused: there's no fancy graphical interface or anything.

Just bad programming.

Glad you got it sorted.

DO you have any issues with fan noise on the Zotac? I read a few posts on Reddit saying it is pretty noisy.
I've RMA'd 2 due to fan bearing noise, and a 3rd is arriving today (I'm stupidly hoping this one will be ok).
If not, I'll get a refund and buy something else.

This what my first two sounded like with going from off to 30% fan speed.
The noise is like a rough bearing..

yeah GTN disagree with you

igors are using the 3 pin which limits the card to 450 and restricts performance, its specced to 4 pin and 600 watts and the vbios uses it.

I think what veryrichtea is pointing towards is that Igor is saying you can measure an Nvidia card from software fairly accurately. But it seems AMD cards are ~30% more than software is recording. Is this a Volkswagen moment for AMD for efficiency?

Back
Top Bottom