• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Ampere back catalogue is horribly priced. 3080 and below and 6800xt and below is basically launch day of 2 years ago priced and the overpriced cards of the gen (3080 12gb+ and 6950xt) are not discounted enough to be worthwhile, except that 1 6900xt OCUK selling at £650.

Yep this is why the new release tactic is to prey on fomo and when that runs out of steam if there's still stock left think of another plan. Quite stubborn but maybe how this is how Jensen covers the data crunching farms working on DLSS energy bills as he aint putting is own hand in his pocket!

4080 looks better than expected, lovely improvements in RT scenarios :cool:

But as I've said many times, I'm not paying more than a grand for any gpu regardless of who it is by.

For a gaming gpu yes it's mad now, these are nothing more than pure gaming cards now, especially the 4090s, they are a downgrade for pro users this time and nothing more than that, they needed to have at least more VRAM to justify them for pro use as pro users are now on the limits of 24GB if not exceeded it. Meeh really ... All these companies are now just taking us all for a ride with their greed and offering no value to anything, from utility bills to buying anything now seems like a scam.

They can keep them really... not buying anything now that doesn't offer some value or something I really need, they can sit on them and fire sell them later.

Last edited:
I'm not defending it just saying it as I see it :cry: for what it's worth I think the 4080 is a terrible proposition but do I think it will sell well ... 100% weather I agree with it or not.
Whether* You wear a coat in bad weather :p

I agree, it will sell well.

In my opinion the 4000 series is a refresh of the 2000 series (mainly 2080 and 2080ti)
Priced too high, especially after the 3000 series where the 3080 launched for £650. I bought my Palit 3080 for £670 at launch and looking at the 4000 series it was a bargain :D

I wouldn't be surprised to see RT go the way of 3D. These benchmarks full of contrived shiny surfaces. Do we really need everything to be so shiny you can't see where one object stops and the other one starts?

It won't as this is the future of graphics evolving to the next stages. We should have had RT a long time ago if technology could manage it, the future is RT and path tracing like it or not.

I love my PC gaming, but nvidia went from like £699 to £1269 in one generation, im going to have to stick with my 2080 a while yet, no way in this market can i justify that kind of money for a graphics card, i find it hard enough to part with £700 - £800 for a card

Corrected for you, it went up more than £1100.

Seems to be a trend with Nvidia, 1000 series decently priced, 2000 series overpriced, 3000 series decently priced 4000 series overpriced. Bet the 5000 series will be much cheaper once again after the backlash of 4000 series prices and AMD doing a decent job of keeping up :cry:

Whether* You wear a coat in bad weather :p

I agree, it will sell well.

In my opinion the 4000 series is a refresh of the 2000 series (mainly 2080 and 2080ti)
Priced too high, especially after the 3000 series where the 3080 launched for £650. I bought my Palit 3080 for £670 at launch and looking at the 4000 series it was a bargain :D

Sorry i blame predictive text on my phone and not paying attention to what words it replaces but Thank you for the correction :D

Yeah as much as i think its a bad price for the product i am certain they will sell and sell well at that , many were happy to buy 3090Ti for £1100 and once all said and done this is a better card and cost £180 extra ( for FE ) AIB will offer even less value and then makes it hard not to look at the 4090 .

The 3080 and its £650 might as well be an anomaly for 95% of people as you had to be very very lucky to secure one at that price brand new or anything close to it and then there was the waiting list on them if bought on release day which spanned well over a year, i did get lucky and secured a 3080FE very very early on ( 2nd drop , Oct 2020 ) although i ended up selling that to a good friend at cost price ( bad move! ) as i had a 3090 Strix coming and had no real need for it ( didn't know about mining at the time:cry: ) None of that justify the high price of the 4080 but even today 2 years on you will struggle to find a 3080 for its actual msrp of £650. For £650 the 3080 as an absolutely stunning card and Nvidia were not going to make that mistake again :cry:

Last edited:
Look, the 4080 aint going to sell well at all, 4090 sales will dry up, the prices are not sustainable. And Nvidia will be fine with that until they clear the ampere back catalogue. IMO Nvidia are going to be in for a nasty shock at their next earnings call with gaming revenue. ;)
I'm far more interested in the Nvidia earnings call tomorrow than the 4080 launch as this will tell us the real deal on how well it's Gpus are selling and if it's bad then I think price cuts soon will be inevitable.

I'd genuinely enjoy having someone explain this to me. Contemplating upgrades from my 1080 Ti, having not yet experienced RT. Is it worth north of £1k?

If visuals are important to you and you like accurate shadows and lighting and ray tracing is supported in games you play I'd say it's worth it as it's only going to get used more and more.

Nice comparison showing the regular Metro Exodus vs the Metro Exodus Enhanced which will only work with cards that support ray tracing, the difference in lighting when the devs aren't trying to fake the lights can look stunning, and amazingly the ray traced only version does actually run a bit faster than the regular version while looking significantly better.

Problem with a lot of games at the moment is that they are backwards compatible and are a hybrid of ray tracing and fake lighting effects. I'll be glad when more games come out that require a ray tracing capable card to even launch like Metro Exodus Enhanced, it may be the first game to require one but won't be the last.

Last edited:
Ampere back catalogue is horribly priced. 3080 and below and 6800xt and below is basically launch day of 2 years ago priced and the overpriced cards of the gen (3080 12gb+ and 6950xt) are not discounted enough to be worthwhile, except that 1 6900xt OCUK selling at £650.
Launch day the 3080 could have been had cheaper than you can get them now, although that came with the caveat of having to wait a year and it possibly never turning up / being cancelled :cry: Took the first screenshot on 3080 release day ( was for a friend ) and for reference took another today , 2 years and 2 months later to the day pretty much...

Release day , 17th September 2020
Screenshot-20200917-151007-Chrome.jpg

Today 16th November 2022

Screenshot-20221116-005252-Chrome.jpg

I'd genuinely enjoy having someone explain this to me. Contemplating upgrades from my 1080 Ti, having not yet experienced RT. Is it really worth north of £1k?
Having owned a 3080 since release I'd say no paying over £1000 for one of the new cards isn't worth it for RT.

Selling your 1080ti for £250 then picking up a 3080 for sub £500 or a 3080ti for sub £600 is worth it.

I'd genuinely enjoy having someone explain this to me. Contemplating upgrades from my 1080 Ti, having not yet experienced RT. Is it really worth north of £1k?
Except maybe 2 games I can't tell whether ray tracing is on or off even if I specifically look for it. In addition to which when you're running around at fast pace shooting people in the head, you don't really notice the reflections in a puddle of water on the floor. Also it halves your fps. I always play with RTX off because it's not worth it.

This is bizarre and complicated, I should ask about it in a separate post with a full explanation of my situation and what I'm interested in. But I really appreciate the feedback. A few years ago this would've been relatively simple, but prices today are bananas.

I love my PC gaming, but nvidia went from like £699 to £1100 in one generation, im going to have to stick with my 2080 a while yet, no way in this market can i justify that kind of money for a graphics card, i find it hard enough to part with £700 - £800 for a card

Yeah, this is where I'm at right now. I don't see things getting any better any time soon either.

RT alone for £1K no is not worth it BUT you are getting a lot more than just RT for your money compered to your 1080Ti , you get a massive uplift in performance at all resolution , you also get the ability to use DLSS for even more performance if needed although a 3000 series does this perfectly well also . You also get access to HDMI 2.1 which the 1080Ti doesn't have . What resolution do you play at and what refresh rate is your monitor that way we may be able to suggest a good upgrade path as no need to buy a 4080 if you don't actually need that much performance , could also bottleneck your cpu in certain scenarios depending on resolution

RT alone for £1K no is not worth it BUT you are getting a lot more than just RT for your money compered to your 1080Ti , you get a massive uplift in performance at all resolution , you also get the ability to use DLSS for even more performance if needed although a 3000 series does this perfectly well also . You also get access to HDMI 2.1 which the 1080Ti doesn't have . What resolution do you play at and what refresh rate is your monitor that way we may be able to suggest a good upgrade path as no need to buy a 4080 if you don't actually need that much performance , could also bottleneck your cpu in certain scenarios depending on resolution

Currently running:

5800X3D
32GB Team Group 8Pack Edition 3600MHz
Solid X570 Mobo
Good SSDs
GTX 1080 Ti
100Hz G-Sync Module Ultrawide 3440x1440 Monitor (considering downgrading to Adaptive Sync 1440p for versatility)

Good as gold, no exaggeration 100% stable. This thing doesn't crash.

Not too bad. But the standout weakness for a year, or so, is the GPU?

Looking for:
An upgrade that I can understand.

Interested in:
Higher framerates
I'm not sure after that because I haven't seen it
Dual encoders maybe because I'm interested in streaming (tertiary)

I'm also running a Corsair 750W Gold PSU (Hmm 6 years old?).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom