• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
I was starting from nothing though and I am trying to limit the next time I need to change parts, I say this as someone about to buy a new AMD 3D cpu but tbf that was always my plan, I just built the PC in Nov as it suited me.

Yeah the 16 (12VHPWR) into the GPU, off that is an adapter with 3 or 4 PCI-E x8 male connections. It is really unwieldy so many opt to get a nice braided cable from cablemods.

Hmm would have to check my PSU it's knocking on a bit now, old EVGA G2 850, sure it would have enough mind, only got 2 years left of warranty..

Soldato
@Matty8787

3080 12GB model, which is like 2-5% faster than the 10GB model.

Essentially don't get ripped of especially if you got your one for MSRP ;)

Wow that really shows how bad value the 4070ti and 7900XT are. Much worse than I first thought
I have my 3080 at 2050mhz core (undervolted) and 10k mem speed 24/7 so there is no reason to even look at these GPU's for me.. (not that I would)

Last edited:
Associate
I was starting from nothing though.
That's a different matter, you had no choice but to buy. That's one of the main gripes at NGreedia, people who have to buy because like you, they don't have anything yet, or their card has died, or they haven't upgraded for 4 or 5 years and waited until now.

It's a bad time to buy if you had to buy. It's also a bad time to buy if your last upgrade cost you 159 quid net after flogging your old card.

Caporegime
But you said in the post before that there wasn't an issue? You also said that Warhammer was the reason the card was hot but I tried it and I couldn't get similar results although we do have different cards.

Also totally different cases etc etc.
I was wrong and spoke too soon, temps went back up and I am way above the average temps I have read for RTX4090's. I think there's a problem but if the new card is no different then I am going to be a little stumped.

Soldato
Cheaper versions of 4080/4070ti.. new core stepping that reduces need for onboard components. The boards going to look more barren

I'm guessing these are the same chips that were heading for the laptops as they normally use less components too, so they stopped production of the old chips for these and sticking them in the desktop gpus now to save a buck but as we know prices won't come down with even these reductions being done as it will be used as another way to make profit and the general public that buy gpus will never know it was done anyways and another game from nvidia and naming, these should be then named something else to make it clear on the packaging and the graphics card.

Associate
Probably fine, I think a lot of reviewers used one that wattage.

Hmm would have to check my PSU it's knocking on a bit now, old EVGA G2 850, sure it would have enough mind, only got 2 years left of warranty..

I'm planning on an upgrade from my amd 5800x and the 3070 setup, thinking of a 4090 because I do a lot of flight VR stuff and I run triple 1440p monitors for sim racing.

I have a Corsair RM 850w and I think by all acounts with the research its enough for a 4090. Will probably undervolt it a bit as well.

Associate
TBH I'm happy with anything over 60, I just got the 4090 because I'm a ******* idiot.
I've discovered I'm the same since finally getting a 4K screen worth gaming on, for single player 60+ is fine. My 6800 XT is just about enough (plenty for NG+ in God of War, Spider-Man Remastered and Falleon Order) but I can't help but look at the newer cards.

Unfortunately both the XTX and 4080 cost too much but price being equal for the AIB models I think the benefits of the 4080 outweigh the small raster advantage the XTX has in a number of cases.

Soldato
Wow that really shows how bad value the 4070ti and 7900XT are. Much worse than I first thought
I have my 3080 at 2050mhz core (undervolted) and 10k mem speed 24/7 so there is no reason to even look at these GPU's for me.. (not that I would)

I'm just doing mine now...got the Afterburner Graph set to 0.993v@2070 +200 on the memory (it boosts up to 2055 but often a little bit lower when temps rise a bit) How does that compare to yours?)

Soldato
I'm just doing mine now...got the Afterburner Graph set to 0.993v@2070 +200 on the memory (it boosts up to 2055 but often a little bit lower when temps rise a bit) How does that compare to yours?)
Mine boots to 2055mhz and holds @ 925mv but it's under water so the temps usually at 40 to to 48c depending on load.

Soldato
Mine boots to 2055mhz and holds @ 925mv but it's under water so the temps usually at 40 to to 48c depending on load.
Thanks mate. it looks like i can go a bit lower then. i'd love to put my FE under water - those EK full metal blocks look lovely but there no way i'm paying £250 for one

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom