• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
I did say for 90% of the original performance, I'd be happy if it means using 60% of the power.

But now it seems the 3000 was only 10% ahead of the 2000 series and the 4000 series will only be 10% ahead of the 3000 series...

Associate
In some cases undervolting leads to performance increases, less heat> higher sustained boost blocks.

You don't necessarily have to loose a 10-15% of your total performance to see a benefit from undervolting.

Associate
I know it's a shot in the dark, but are we betting the TDP of the 4070-80 is going to be that roughly or more of the 3090? I'm a bit worried now as I red somewhere it's rumoured (yes I know pinch of salt) to be in the region of 450w?
If so I think i'll pass and stick with going for a 12gb 3080 and undervolting it and locking it at 60-100fps @ 1440p for SP games then unlocking it to 180hz for my 180hz 1440p monitor for MP...
I'm also thinking it'd be smarter to buy a 3080 asap whilst they're cheap direct from Nvidia as they keep popping back up in stock...

Caporegime
Soldato
But you are turning your 4000 series card to a 3000 series card...
Undervolting doesn't mean you have to lose performance

Personally I undervolt so it equals or slightly better performance over stock while benefiting with lower power use / lower temps

All depends on the individual some like to lower even more power and temps with slight drop in performance which will be hard to notice during gaming

Associate
Beaten to it by [maths] hours. I thought I know a bunch of people that like to moan about things.. so I came here, etc.

Countered!

But in truth this is my main issue with increasing power in a GPU every gen its just robbing Peter to Paul. One day there will be a reckoning. ie GPUs will reach 1000Watts and people will ask if it can be reduced slightly, which will then mean less performance.

Soldato
I have no real issue with a GPU having a high demand for power, and will be sure to oversize the PSU on my next build, what i do want its a real and working low power mode for when my pc is sat on desktop doing nothing or low load desktop tasks.

I think of it like a performance car, I don't worry about mpg when I'm going for performance, but i do when I'm driving to and from work.

Caporegime
Strokes my Thermaltake Toughpower XT 1275W ' 80 Plus GOLD bought for my mining crate rig, though it probably does need replacing in the not too distant future.

Associate
there are all manner of problems with increasing power:
- you have to pay for the electricity
- you generate more heat, which has to go somewhere
- you probably need better cooling for your case
- you might need cooling for your room
- more cooling for a room means more power again and possibly the expense of the room cooling solution
- there are hard limits to domestic wiring particularly in the US and places which use 110v
- if the air around your case warms up that means less effective cooling for all components
- transient power draw issue basically makes you have to evaluate any sub 1000W PSU, the upgrade to a good quality PSU could easily be £250 or more

having a higher demand for power ok if its manageable, but you should care particularly if we are talking about 500W or more

Soldato
there are all manner of problems with increasing power:
- you have to pay for the electricity
- you generate more heat, which has to go somewhere
- you probably need better cooling for your case
- you might need cooling for your room
- more cooling for a room means more power again and possibly the expense of the room cooling solution
- there are hard limits to domestic wiring particularly in the US and places which use 110v
- if the air around your case warms up that means less effective cooling for all components
- transient power draw issue basically makes you have to evaluate any sub 1000W PSU, the upgrade to a good quality PSU could easily be £250 or more

having a higher demand for power ok if its manageable, but you should care particularly if we are talking about 500W or more
Heat also degrades parts quicker.

Soldato
currently have 3080 which outputs around 300w and just cant use it during the hotter days room gets too uncomfortable cant imagine anything higher :cry:

Back
Top Bottom