• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Caporegime
Sorry but this is simply not true, not all GPU's are the same and to say otherwise is a real oversimplification. AMD and Nvidia both have different strengths and weaknesses and different implementations of common technologies which affect their performance in various games and when using various API's and rendering techniques. Considering that you also clearly contradict yourself in your second paragraph by highlighting some notable differences shows that you are perhaps a little confused and lacking in the specifics of this particular topic

Perhaps i didn't explain my reasoning well, who made it is not relevant to my purchasing decisions.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I would love to go back to amd but sadly it looks like they still won't be matching nvidia in the 2 areas that I care about:

Upscaling:

FSR 2 is noticeably better than fsr 1 but has a few issues compared to dlss still

- performance gain isn't as much as dlss in RT scenarios (you need all the perf. you can get when it comes to RT and high res. + high refresh rate gaming)
- at the moment, still not in most games I care about or really need the extra perf. for, obviously this will change going forward but not exactly filling me with confidence the current showing
- IQ results are very subpar outside of their poster boy game i.e. deathloop and even then it's a bit meh if you're used to dlss particularly for temporal stability

Obviously this could and should improve going forward but how long will that be? Another 2+ years?

RT:

So far, it seems like RDNA 3 will only be slightly upgraded over RDNA 2, at least what amd has said so far hasn't filled me with confidence i.e. "RT will be more advanced than RDNA 2", not exactly hard to beat RDNA 2 RT and that kind of statement isn't selling it... whereas intel have stated their RT perf beats ampere....

That and AMD seem to have problems getting RT to render properly in some titles initially, which either gets resolved with a driver update or/and game update.

If amd can't deliver on those 2 points then they need to price their gpus accordingly i.e. be at least £100 cheaper than the competition imo, as attested to by likes of HU etc., the "RTX" feature set is valuable and does hold some weight over amd.

If 40xx is **** for RT or/and price is silly, I'll just simply reduce settings further or/and use dlss balanced more often and wait till something worthy comes along, playing at 3440x1440 more often these days over 4k also helps increase longevity.

gIn3sMDLQLpUZrWZH_YT_ofqpIPqij1WQufZ0ihsrRk4x5NTT2AJwD_hW5XeT4PFEQ-7SPGTwPNuCGYas1P2__ydOq5hZFDm-A=s0-d

Associate
If amd can't deliver on those 2 points then they need to price their gpus accordingly i.e. be at least £100 cheaper than the competition imo, as attested to by likes of HU etc., the "RTX" feature set is valuable and does hold some weight over amd.

If 40xx is **** for RT or/and price is silly, I'll just simply reduce settings further or/and use dlss balanced more often and wait till something worthy comes along, playing at 3440x1440 more often these days over 4k also helps increase longevity.

Sad truth is unfortunately there is no competition atm, AMD have too smaller market share and seem perfectly happy to align with Nvidia pricing. If AMD want me to switch they need to do better on price/perf like much better not 10 or 15% here and there.

Associate
The problem is not all GPU chips are equal, some under volt better than others, so from the factory voltages are set to a known working voltage for all GPU chips good or bad that will run at standard clocks. just like some GPU chips over clock better than others.
Yes, way back when the HD 7970 and 7950 GHz editions were notoriously overvolted, and got poor review first it.
Hawaii wasn't much better.
Back then I did wonder whether AMD career for your reviews at all. Maybe because they once got heavily burned by unsold stock they had to write down (back when they were almost bankrupt), they were story cautious about using sensible binning to leaves better impression (pick decent Tahiti dies für 7790 and 7950 Ghz edition and later use the worse dies for 7870 LE or something). Less margins at first glance but better reviewed cards hold their value and $200 firesale of Hawaii might never have been necessary. Penny wise, pound stupid.

Associate
Sad truth is unfortunately there is no competition atm, AMD have too smaller market share and seem perfectly happy to align with Nvidia pricing. If AMD want me to switch they need to do better on price/perf like much better not 10 or 15% here and there.
Its actual AMD who should have had the courage to source wafers from Samsung too.
Bean counters might not be happy but slightly larger but slower running dies from Samsung's 8nm would sell if priced correctly, and they wouldn't have put pressure on TSMC's 7nm wafers.
A wider bigger die on cheaper 8nm with extra cache might even have offered decent perf/watt.
Instead most of AMD's 7nm wafers went to console and Zen.

Soldato
I still think the reason it's so quiet is they both need to shift remaining stock. As soon as the wider market get wind of decent next gen performance they'll get stuck with any remaining cards or have to take a big hit and sell cheap. As for power, I don't care other than heat, over 300W and things start to heat up. RT, not bothered until I can turn it on and not see a performance hit that matters. I may be biased as I don't play single player games much where 60fps with lots of shiny is more acceptable.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
undervolting will just become more of a thing

This is the same school of thought from the people that say they can turn down a few settings.. Yes undervolting is the new overclocking, but its been around for ages. Maybe just buy the right product in the first place, but you should not have to buy powerful PSU's to cope with a product that is costing so much in the first place. If they have to push the hardware too hard for some performance increase they are doing something wrong.

Soldato
This is the same school of thought from the people that say they can turn down a few settings.. Yes undervolting is the new overclocking, but its been around for ages. Maybe just buy the right product in the first place, but you should not have to buy powerful PSU's to cope with a product that is costing so much in the first place. If they have to push the hardware too hard for some performance increase they are doing something wrong.

By this logic though if you are turning down game settings it's the games fault

Soldato
It may be that manufactures get undone by the higher power demands. If the 7 series goes up in power draw that leaves less scope to fit in the SKUs above it. The physics of power requirements will keep them honest even if their marketing flatters to deceive.

Back
Top Bottom