• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
Wonder how the 40 series would fair on my system with a 3700x, I'd assume upgrading from a 3080ti to a 4070 wouldn't be worth it, more like a downgrade given wattage numbers.

I'd hope to get a 4080 in my system without much ugorades if no major bottleneck at 1440p/4k.

Same with PSU wouldn't want to change my 850w

Soldato
lol imagine thinking world of boring craft will outsell Elden ring, yeah right
If looking at PC sales only, I think it is pretty close.

From what i found shadowlands sold atleast 3.7 million on PC.

Elden ring sold at least 12 million with 30% of sales being on PC which is 3.6 million

Soldato
It's too bad the x70 got gimped this time as well, could've been such a sweet deal. The 4080 looking like the best overall option again. I guess we'll see if AMD can put up a fight, we still have no real leaks for them, or indeed for RT - which is the crucial part.

wDSA4aF.jpg.png
Interesting the 4080 has a dedicated 103 die now rather than using the 104 die. That the xx80 class has used prior to the 3080.
Seems like AMD won't be catching Nvidia on the back foot this time. The difference in the SM count between 102 and 103 is huge though. Unless there is a significant reduction in clock speed, that is going to suck energy. But it isn't really translating into performance. 60% more SMs but only 26% faster based on what ever those peformance numbers are supposed to represent.

Based on the 256 and 128 bit bus of the 4080 and 4070 respectively it seems like Nvidia will have their own version of infinity cache. I wonder if people will go around saying these cards are being held back by their memory bandwidth and that Nvidia should just use a bigger bus ;).

Caporegime
My wallet is ready :)

4070 is looking to be good especially if they price at <£550 but does look like the 80 will be king for bang per buck again if they can keep it <£700. Given how much 3090s are going for now, I'm expecting second hand 3080s to be going for 300-400 come announcement/release of the 4070 and 4080, might hold onto my 3080 for a bit longer in case the shortage of gpus happens again and prices go back up :p

Has there been any indication on the dimensions of the gpus yet?

Ultimately all still just clickbait/rumours at this point and nothing solid though.

Biggest game release by volume this year on pc is world of Warcraft expansion without a doubt and it's Ray tracing in AMD works fine.

Well yeah..... if you add barely any ray tracing then of course performance on amd will be fine :cry:

Associate
Based on the 256 and 128 bit bus of the 4080 and 4070 respectively it seems like Nvidia will have their own version of infinity cache. I wonder if people will go around saying these cards are being held back by their memory bandwidth and that Nvidia should just use a bigger bus ;).
Probably not much wondering to be done: team green gets away with setting the narrative which lots of "independent" thinkers are willing to sheepishly follow!

Soldato
I can't wait to see the posts stating xyz holding back said 40xx card for "reasons". Bets on what it will be @TNA? My money is on 12GB not being enough :cry:
The 4070 should have 12 gb. Any tier above that should have more. There’s the line in the sand.

Technically it should be possible to work it out using the bit Bus from above

Soldato
I know no-one has a crystal ball but is it likely that the 4070 wont be available to actually purchase until next year? I dont really follow GPU releases so I dont know how Nvidia go about announcing the next gen cards and then actually having them in stock somewhere.

Soldato
I can't wait to see the posts stating xyz holding back said 40xx card for "reasons". Bets on what it will be @TNA? My money is on 12GB not being enough :cry:

We also havent had the repeated release thread yet stating when the 4xxx is out the 3xxx is EOL and wont play the latest games because Nvidia are not optimising the drivers anymore blah blah blah.

Associate
Mock all you like, but if it's such a big thing (or not) why was there no thread way back when (AFAIR) about 11GB being overkill for the 1080 Ti while it was current?
Surely with the 4080 rumoured to be around three times faster than the 1080 Ti was, back then 6GB would have been plenty enough and any more a total waste of money!

Caporegime
I would love to see nvidia come out with more vram than amd this time and for amd to beat nvidia in RT just to see the mental gymnastics at play especially as it would mean me switching back to amd for the RT (and probably same for most people tbh) but we all know amds methods/longevity won't be questioned then as x amount will be more than enough and RT will all of a sudden be the best thing since sliced bread :D ;) :p :cry:

Absolutely nil chance of those cards coming in at those price ranges.

Yup, unlikely, I'm expecting £550-600 for 4070 and £700-800 for 4080, anymore than that and I can't see many people going for them and nvidia know this, people are already cutting back on food and going with lesser/cheaper brands so no way are people going to spend over the odds for an unneeded/luxury item especially if RDNA 3 does give the 40xx series a run for its money.

I'm in no rush if prices are beyond silly, 3080 still smashing it on the whole and most of the games I was looking forward to have all been pushed back till 2023/2024 now :(

We also havent had the repeated release thread yet stating when the 4xxx is out the 3xxx is EOL and wont play the latest games because Nvidia are not optimising the drivers anymore blah blah blah.

TBF, I'm expecting nvidia to put less effort into ampere upon release :p

Soldato
tbh I'm looking at some of the prices on the 30xx series and starting to think about picking up a good value one of them to tide me over...

Got 2 systems mine has a 980Ti and the wife's has a 970 so contemplating nabbing a 3060 even for a pretty low price, shove it in the main rig and suddenly I will be able to get the most out of a whole bunch of games I've been waiting for a GPU upgrade to play (and I'm pretty sure even a 3060 will feel light-years ahead of the 980Ti) and then at some point down the road if/when I feel I need to I can upgrade that to something better and the 3060 can replace my wife's 970. But can't decide if that's just a really dumb idea

Soldato
tbh I'm looking at some of the prices on the 30xx series and starting to think about picking up a good value one of them to tide me over...

Got 2 systems mine has a 980Ti and the wife's has a 970 so contemplating nabbing a 3060 even for a pretty low price, shove it in the main rig and suddenly I will be able to get the most out of a whole bunch of games I've been waiting for a GPU upgrade to play (and I'm pretty sure even a 3060 will feel light-years ahead of the 980Ti) and then at some point down the road if/when I feel I need to I can upgrade that to something better and the 3060 can replace my wife's 970. But can't decide if that's just a really dumb idea
It's what I did with a 3060Ti FE, £369 and see how the next 6 months works out.

Back
Top Bottom