• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
Where are you getting that figure for 36% more sales from? That doesn't show up in the either the total graphic sales or the discrete graphic sales.

"AMD's marketshare now is 21.9 percent, NVIDIA 16.1 percent and the rest is Intel, the chip giant has 62 percent thanks to its enormous amount of processors with integrated graphics."

That was in 2013 before the mining boom.

Soldato
How much can Nvidia get away with charging more if AMD are getting close ? So they can't just price what they like

It's basically a duopoly. I don't think either company has that much effect on the other's pricing. I would say both companies price their product on what it costs them to make, R&D etc. and then put their margins on top. AMD in the past have been cutting margins trying to claw back market share but that was an unsustainable business model.

If AMD does become consistently competitive with Nvidia and/or pass them by even, I don't expect a price war at all. What I expect is AMD to increase their margins. There might be special offers, game deals etc. But, you will all be disappointed if you think there will be a serious price drop if AMD becomes top dog.

If AMD becomes the premier GPU maker, they will charge a premium price just like Nvidia.

Soldato

"AMD's marketshare now is 21.9 percent, NVIDIA 16.1 percent and the rest is Intel, the chip giant has 62 percent thanks to its enormous amount of processors with integrated graphics."

That was in 2013 before the mining boom.

Did you read the report you just quoted from? That's Q2, before Hawaii was released at all. the 290x came out in Quarter 4. That supports what I just said, that AMD had more market share before AMD released the 290/290x cards.

Associate
Will it make a difference to next gen pricing though?
Hard to say. Obviously, they and their shareholders won't be happy that they had reduced margins this quarter. But if they price too high, they might not have many sales. While it seems no matter what they do most people buy Nvidia, they should again have strong competition this round.

Soldato
Will it make a difference to next gen pricing though?
I would think so for the better with no mining boom, covid lockdown more people getting current gen late into its cycle not wanting to upgrade so soon dont see the same demand even if there is cant see it lasting long but I could be wrong

Soldato
Must be on the way soon, not naming names due to rules but i just seen a new 6900 XT on sale cheaper than i even seen shops selling them

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Still think it’ll probably be around the 1st September for Nvidia.

They’re clearing stock, reducing prices, and so are the AIB’s. The cards will have probably been manufactured, boxed and stockpiling in anticipation, just with some very tight NDA’s keeping the lid on things.

All these rumours are probably as some others have speculated, gauging the public opinions on pricing alone as that’s all that’s left to decide.

They simply can’t let slip or 3 series cards will become virtually unsaleable overnight as who’s going to buy one less than a month before it’s replacement is launched, even if significantly discounted.

Could be completely off target but I doubt it’s only me who has this suspicion. Not long now before we find out.

Caporegime
They are virtually unsellable anyway at this point.

If AMD beat NVDA to the punch of next gen GPUs then I'll be skipping NVidia for a gen or 3

Caporegime
as who’s going to buy one less than a month before it’s replacement is launched, even if significantly discounted.
Errrm probably 90% of the buying public? You're making the mistake of believing that everyone is an enthusiast like us on here, whereas the truth is that Joe Public (a massive part of the sales) has no idea when the new cards launch or just go out and buy what they need right now. We greatly overestimate this all the time because we're inside the bubble...

Associate
Out of curiosity how long from when Nvidia announce their new cards, does it take overclockers to update there site offering prebuilt PC’s with 4090’s in them and associated power supply, CPU etc.

I need a new PC :) … thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom