• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I cant believe people start to justify 4080 12gb:eek::eek::eek:
Welcome to OcUK graphic cards forums where there are only 3 type of people;

Junkie Group 1 - Nvidia fan boys who will defend anything that's excreted from Jensens orifices. He can do no wrong.

Junkie Group 2 - AMD fan boys - Same as above but will defend Lisa to the death despite some rather lacklustre past releases.

Normal Group 3 - People like myself who don't love either company. We can see through both companies excrement and just want to buy something to play games and when we upgrade, we want there to be a decent improvement in performance for roughly the same price we paid last time. Because that is how technology is supposed to improve for the masses, not what is currently happening where ever increasing price points are created if you want better performance when upgrading.

Oh and this Group then gets called a fanboy of either company by the other group when we happen to call out something wrong with the other company!

Last edited:
Soldato
This is going to be one of those 'come back in 2 years and tell me how wrong I was' posts. :)

I see little hope for price reductions at the high end in the near future. Intel's Arc GPUs simply aren't competing in that performance bracket and AMD are happy to play along with Nvidia's high pricing. However, I expect battle to be joined in 2 years once Intel make the performance jump from the low-mid range to the high end and bring production in-house.

And I see hope for price reductions in the low-mid range in the very near future thanks to competition from Intel's Arc GPUs. But only if the driver quality is there. I also see increasing realisation that those GPUs are good enough. Benchmarks show that you can game at 4k on a RX 6600 at medium settings. Sure you won't get RT but hey ho.

Associate

Junkie Group 1 - Nvidia fan boys who will defend anything that's excreted from Jensens orifices. He can do no wrong.

Junkie Group 2 - AMD fan boys - Same as above but will defend Lisa to the death despite some rather lacklustre past releases.

Normal Group 3 - People like myself who don't love either company. We can see through both companies excrement and just want to buy something to play games and when we upgrade, we want there to be a decent improvement in performance for roughly the same price we paid last time. Because that is how technology is supposed to improve for the masses, not what is currently happening where ever increasing price points are created if you want better performance when upgrading.

Oh and this Group then gets called a fanboy of either company by the other group when we happen to call out something wrong with the other company!
Absolutely spot on. This same behavior is true across the entire tech world and the big companies know full well. history is repeating itself as they will simply outprice the mass consumer and be left with stock they can't sell. AMD have a real chance to steel some market share here by ,simply offering normal value (not even good value). If they go the same way as Nvidia, they I hope they all end up with a flop product that gathers dust on the shelves. Most are saying we won't see a drop, but this is the first time we have seen this level of greed without demand being there. It really boggles the mind what Nvidia are thinking.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
This is going to be one of those 'come back in 2 years and tell me how wrong I was' posts. :)

I see little hope for price reductions at the high end in the near future. Intel's Arc GPUs simply aren't competing in that performance bracket and AMD are happy to play along with Nvidia's high pricing. However, I expect battle to be joined in 2 years once Intel make the performance jump from the low-mid range to the high end and bring production in-house.

And I see hope for price reductions in the low-mid range in the very near future thanks to competition from Intel's Arc GPUs. But only if the driver quality is there. I also see increasing realisation that those GPUs are good enough. Benchmarks show that you can game at 4k on a RX 6600 at medium settings. Sure you won't get RT but hey ho.

You are very optimistic regarding Intel and their ability to disrupt the GPU space. :)

On the showing of their recent deadlines and also the driver issues, I think they are quite a way behind. In two years time they may have ironed out some items and improved but they will still be nowhere challenging that duopoly. Being realistic would be the gen after assuming they can shed the stigmas that will form.

Soldato

I'm pretty sure both CEO's sit down at a family meal and discuss how they're gonna bend the consumer over for the next gen releases and how they're gonna line up every owners pocket with a thick reem of $ bills.

Last edited:
Soldato
People are making things way too complicated. Just look at the cards' performance in the games you care about, check price, then compare to other cards. The name is ultimately irrelevant & I don't see why that should influence our buying decision (as more savvy buyers). The real reason the 4080 12 GB sucks is not because of the name but because of the price.

Is it scummy because it will confuse the average buyer who does not think or check what they're buying beyond the name? Absolutely, but that's a battle against marketing that will never be won, in no small part due to average people's own willful ignorance & carefree nature. Don't hate the player etc. That being said I don't mind if Nvidia is reported for deceptive practices to the appropriate regulatory bodies. :p

Soldato
They will pretend it was a none issue because once the Ampere stock depletes they will drop the price of the 4060Ti 4080 to be $200 cheaper and the mindshare will lap it up as its considered a good deal again..
This! It would not surprise me at all if that happens, but in the meantime catch those clueless people who see the name 4080 and lap it up at the higher price point.

Associate

I agree with you 100%. However, these groups are common to all tech forums pretty much. Divide and conquer at its finest.
To be fair we cant blame companies for employing this tactic if politicans do the same.

Soldato
Because that is how technology is supposed to improve for the masses, not what is currently happening where ever increasing price points are created if you want better performance when upgrading.

Take a look at the value of the £ vs the $ during the last 5 years. Then take a look at inflation during the last 5 years. Then consider shipping costs (energy prices influence this) over the last 5 years. Then consider the supply shortage.

Consider all these points, and it's very obvious why things keep getting more expensive, it's not just Nvidia or AMD being greedy and hiking up prices................

Caporegime
So if we make a GPU where 25% of the transistors only get used 5% of the time that's a better starting point than a GPU with 5% fewer transistors that get used all the time?

Odd question, of course depends on the functional value of the 25% of transistors. Most transistors have a very small activation time but are critically import for the functionality of the GPU.

Soldato
Take a look at the value of the £ vs the $ during the last 5 years. Then take a look at inflation during the last 5 years. Then consider shipping costs (energy prices influence this) over the last 5 years. Then consider the supply shortage.

Consider all these points, and it's very obvious why things keep getting more expensive, it's not just Nvidia or AMD being greedy and hiking up prices................

Are their profits increasing at an inflationary rate?

Associate
Yeah, I agree, it's easy to get conned by this card at face value if you don't know your onions.
This. Advertising hard based on ray tracing, upscaling etc looks good, but this is required to be included by the software, which nvidia don't necessarily have control over. It's gaining more traction, but I'm a little skeptical of a product adding a benefit it can't technically promise.

Associate

This is correct to a point, 4000 series and 7000 series were always going to be more expensive. I don't think AMD will be far behind nvidia prices, but I can hope. Its the scale of price increase to performance uplift which is the sticking point. They are asking too much for too little.

It's often commented on that their products aren't exactly low margin, so scope is there, but it's deciding on what's acceptable to the shareholders.

Back
Top Bottom