Nvidia 9300 M GS Laptop GPU

Associate
Anyone actually played games on there laptop with the above chip?

I've taken a good look through notebookcheck.net (excellent information resource, btw) and seen the benchmarks, but wanted to know if anyone has done any gaming on it?

Specifically, any MMO experience would be great to know.

Looking at getting either a £500 HP DV3-500Ea or a Dell Studio 17 with Radeon 3650M chipset (albeit costing me an extra £630 which puts the laptop into the 'dubious to afford' category).

I can see the Radeon chipset is fair bit faster, but does anyone have experience of the 9300 GS?

Soldato
It seems to get around 4000 in 3DM06, putting it around 7600GT territory. It's hardly going to set Crysis on fire, but I think you'll get respectable WoW performance, and a good game in CSS and the like.

Just keep it away from shader-heavy modern titles. :)

Soldato
That's great news!

7600GT Performance would easily run the game I have in mind (DDO:Stormreach).

Thanks!

Yeah, but that's just a guideline. Don't take that as gospel. I'd say it averages around 7600GT speeds - but in some games you'll get better performance, and in some you'll get less.

It depends on the game.

[Edit] I've just noticed a typo - that's 4K in 05, not 06. This should give you a better idea.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9300M-GS.9452.0.html

Associate
It's not an awfully fast GPU but quite a lot better than any of the Intel chips at the moment. I have one in my Vaio Z as they're mainly designed for smaller laptops that don't have a lot of room to expel heat.

I can run CS:Source at just about an acceptable FPS (average 50fps but this is with average Sony 64bit drivers so until proper hybrid drivers come out this might not be an entirely accurate representation) if that's any consolation I think this GPU would have quite a hard time coping with Crysis.

It all depends on what you want from the laptop too, the HP and Studio 17 are in leagues apart when comparing size and weght so if that's not an issue I would go for the Studio 17 if you can push it or really anything with an ATI 3650M/NVidia 9600M or higher. :)

Back
Top Bottom