• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia DLSS 5 months on-a win or fail?

Soldato
This is called deflection.

Are you fighting hallucinations too? Awesome, noted.

Edit: And here's what I mean, to make it clear. Panos is hallucinating me defending DLSS, even though all I did was post a news article, and would never personally use it & have been slamming it since it was announced.

But never mind, there's a simple solution to all this. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I found 2 Monster Hunter World with DLSS videos was uploaded to youtube hours ago.

4K 60 fps DLSS on RTX 2080 Ti

8K 30 fps DLSS on RTX 2080 Ti

Incredible 8K DLSS playable performance on a single RTX 2080 Ti, absolutely no blurriness. When turned off DLSS caused game unplayable at 8K.

2nd DLSS win!

Next generation Ampere GPU will be able to run Monster Hunter World at 8K 60 fps probably with DLSS 2X on. :D

Soldato
OK, now 8k DLSS is actually pretty cool because in theory it should be quite clean if viewed on a 4k screen. Playing on an 8k screen will be blurry, but it's downsampled and may look even cleaner than native 4k

Associate
So it cuts fps by 30% AND manages to reduce image quality into a blurred approximation of how it looks without DLSS.
Where do I sign up? I've never seen a 'feature' of a GPU combine two negatives so effectively. This is literally a joke and anyone arguing otherwise
needs glasses and psychiatric help. If the fps figures were reversed so the blurred image was at the higher fps I'd still say no but adding insult
to injury means you get to pay extra, lose fps AND get worse image quality.

Soldato
So it cuts fps by 30% AND manages to reduce image quality into a blurred approximation of how it looks without DLSS.
Where do I sign up? I've never seen a 'feature' of a GPU combine two negatives so effectively. This is literally a joke and anyone arguing otherwise
needs glasses and psychiatric help. If the fps figures were reversed so the blurred image was at the higher fps I'd still say no but adding insult
to injury means you get to pay extra, lose fps AND get worse image quality.

In the DLSS example it also has Ray Tracing enabled, hence the lower fps.

Associate
In the DLSS example it also has Ray Tracing enabled, hence the lower fps.
I didn't notice the RTX bit but it seems now we have the Holy trinity of RTX and DLSS combined with a very high price which together deliver a **** image quality.
I hope for the sake of all who bought RTX/DLSS that this changes but from what I've seen its hard to argue DLSS is delivering anything other than a blurred mess.

Soldato
I didn't notice the RTX bit but it seems now we have the Holy trinity of RTX and DLSS combined with a very high price which together deliver a **** image quality.
I hope for the sake of all who bought RTX/DLSS that this changes but from what I've seen its hard to argue DLSS is delivering anything other than a blurred mess.
Are you still talking about BFV? I thought other games (Metro at least) had much better image quality with DLSS? I'm playing it at the moment and without comparing it to DLSS off, I've not noticed any blurriness. Looks pretty good to me. I'll compare with it off at some point tho.

Most people simply won't care. It's getting the balance right(FPS vs IQ) to the point where most people don't notice it....unless they do side by side comparisons and examine with a magnifying glass.
Ive said this a few times now but I found the performance worse in Far Cry new dawn and the IQ about the same (no RT or DLSS) as BFV RT & DLSS. So, to me it boils down to how good the implementation is. BFV without DLSS might be exceptional IQ but with DLSS on the IQ to me is no worse than New Dawn.

Last edited:
Associate
Are you still talking about BFV? I thought other games (Metro at least) had much better image quality with DLSS? I'm playing it at the moment and without comparing it to DLSS off, I've not noticed any blurriness. Looks pretty good to me. I'll compare with it off at some point tho.

Most people simply won't care. It's getting the balance right(FPS vs IQ) to the point where most people don't notice it....unless they do side by side comparisons and examine with a magnifying glass.
Ive said this a few times now but I found the performance worse in Far Cry new dawn and the IQ about the same (no RT or DLSS) as BFV RT & DLSS. So, to me it boils down to how good the implementation is. BFV without DLSS might be exceptional IQ but with DLSS on the IQ to me is no worse than New Dawn.
I'm referring to the Metro Exodus comparison posted by Poneros. I can't speak from experience only from what others have posted. I'd imagine BFV is
implemented well and I don't doubt the technology has potential its just seeing any examples of shoddy implementation does beg the question "Why
did they bother?'.

Soldato
I'm referring to the Metro Exodus comparison posted by Poneros. I can't speak from experience only from what others have posted. I'd imagine BFV is
implemented well and I don't doubt the technology has potential its just seeing any examples of shoddy implementation does beg the question "Why
did they bother?'.
I think RT and DLSS implemented better in Metro than BFV but BFV is pretty sharp without DLSS>
It's difficult to comment without first hand experience IMO. As above, most won't even notice the difference unless examining. And who knows what NV is thinking when optimising the solution. Seems to be a trade off but if you compare across games, games with DLSS might look no worse than the average game out there that doesn't even use it.
Still early days for the technology to be honest, for both RT and DLSS. NV IMO know what they're doing, as do AMD.

Associate
I think RT and DLSS implemented better in Metro than BFV but BFV is pretty sharp without DLSS>
It's difficult to comment without first hand experience IMO. As above, most won't even notice the difference unless examining. And who knows what NV is thinking when optimising the solution. Seems to be a trade off but if you compare across games, games with DLSS might look no worse than the average game out there that doesn't even use it.
Still early days for the technology to be honest, for both RT and DLSS. NV IMO know what they're doing, as do AMD.
Watch the Metro Exodus video above, if that's an example of a 'better' implementation of RT and DLSS then there's simply no future for the technology, it's a turgid appalling blurry mess. I rather assumed that was a bad/worse case example not a supposedly 'good' example of its implementation.
The image without RT and DLSS is crisp and super sharp and runs significantly faster than the 'vaseline' image Nvidia's futuristic technology gives us. The difference in image quality isn't subtle it's colossal and it's in every way worse with RT and DLSS.

Soldato
Watch the Metro Exodus video above, if that's an example of a 'better' implementation of RT and DLSS then there's simply no future for the technology, it's a turgid appalling blurry mess. I rather assumed that was a bad/worse case example not a supposedly 'good' example of its implementation.
The image without RT and DLSS is crisp and super sharp and runs significantly faster than the 'vaseline' image Nvidia's futuristic technology gives us. The difference in image quality isn't subtle it's colossal and it's in every way worse with RT and DLSS.

Associate
Well that implementation of RTX certainly looks fabulous. Are we seeing DLSS as well in this? It isn't made clear but I'd not dispute RTX is
a big leap forward just whether the performance hit (never mind the astronomical price) is worth it.
DLSS combined with RTX in the previous Metro Exodus video certainly degrades the image quality so there seems to be a discrepancy somewhere
between two the videos. One with RTX and DLSS which is definitely blurry and looks **** and one where we have RTX on, where we may or may not have DLSS on
and it looks very crisp and clear.
DLSS looks to be responsible for the blurring, correct me if I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom