• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Driver Help

Associate
Hey all, Just after a bit of help. I have reluctantly offered to help my sons friend with his PC, he was bought a NERDPC prebuilt at Christmas (I told him to go to overclockers but they went there instead) , its an AMD Ryzen 5500, ASUS B550-A Wifi 2 with a Gigabyte Eagle RX4060 and the thing will not play games for longer than 5 mins without suffering an NVIDIA driver crash.

The event Viewer shows

The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

I have tried everything today to try and fix it.

* Disabled onboard wifi (thought this had fixed it but same problem occurs with usb wifi, however when I used a LAN cable it seemed ok but when I removed it I did recieve a tiny shock, possible earth issue ?)
* Updated Bios
* reinstalled various NVIDIA drivers using DDU
* installed latest AMD chipset drivers
* plugged PCIE power into second rail on Power supply

Many other things like uninstalling various software.

Only thing I haven't tried is reinstalling windows but I get the feeling the card could be at fault as the PC has never really worked correctly and he should really send it back to NERDPC but just wondered if anyone had seen anything similar.

I have been using AMD cards for the last 5 years and never seen anything like this.

Just to add the NVIDIA forum is the exact same issue, no blue screen just a crash to desktop, I guess it could be some service but god knows which one.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
* Disabled onboard wifi (thought this had fixed it but same problem occurs with usb wifi, however when I used a LAN cable it seemed ok but when I removed it I did recieve a tiny shock, possible earth issue ?)
Hmm, LAN would be likely to have lower CPU overhead, so if there's a problem with the CPU, or a malfunctioning driver, that could be causing enough of a system hang that it crashes the driver.

What is the status of XMP/DOCP and PBO?

Have you forced PCI-E gen to gen 3 in the BIOS, since the 5500 only supports gen 3?

Associate
OP
Hmm, LAN would be likely to have lower CPU overhead, so if there's a problem with the CPU, or a malfunctioning driver, that could be causing enough of a system hang that it crashes the driver.

What is the status of XMP/DOCP and PBO?

Have you forced PCI-E gen to gen 3 in the BIOS, since the 5500 only supports gen 3?
Hi Tetra. No I will try forcing gen 3, it's auto at the moment. Memory was just default when it arrived but I set it to docp as it was only running 2333mhz which would have been hurting performance and given it arrived like this figured it's not the issue. Will update after I try gen 3.

I am not sure lan fixed it as it can happen immediately or after 10 mins. And haven't tested enough

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well, in the end I have reinstalled windows and it's still the same I can only assume its either hardware incompatibility or the Nvidia card is knackered, very surprised to see so many people with the same issue online with no resolution and I am sure its not that widespread but it has made me glad I kept with team red for my 7900GRE and didn't get a 4070ti super.

Guess the PC will have to go back to NURDPC.

Cheers for the help Tetras

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom