• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Thread**

Associate
On the one hand the die size on the Titan XP is suspiciously small. On the other hand Nvidia have absolutely no reason to do this, at least not yet. If Vega miraculously - and it really would be a miracle at this stage - release something that rivals the Titan XP at some point in the next six months, I can definitely see a 3840 cuda core 1080 Ti being released at a lower price.

Caporegime
On the one hand the die size on the Titan XP is suspiciously small. On the other hand Nvidia have absolutely no reason to do this, at least not yet. If Vega miraculously - and it really would be a miracle at this stage - release something that rivals the Titan XP at some point in the next six months, I can definitely see a 3840 cuda core 1080 Ti being released at a lower price.

I prefer the other guesswork going around that they have a titan and 1080ti with hbm2 in the wings. Would make more sense.

Release another titan with full core and 16gb hbm2 and also later a 1080ti with a cut down core, less than the current titan is and 8gb hbm2.

More bites at the cherry.

The new titan will be faster than this one so people will buy again and the 1080ti will match the current titan but will be cheaper and have aftermarket coolers.

Associate
I prefer the other guesswork going around that they have a titan and 1080ti with hbm2 in the wings. Would make more sense.

Release another titan with full core and 16gb hbm2 and also later a 1080ti with a cut down core, less than the current titan is and 8gb hbm2.

More bites at the cherry.

The new titan will be faster than this one so people will buy again and the 1080ti will match the current titan but will be cheaper and have aftermarket coolers.

I doubt they'd release a second Pascal Titan, but then again, they did release the Titan Black after the Titan. Plus they released the Titan XP way before anyone thought they would. Anything is possible at this point I suppose.

Caporegime
I doubt they'd release a second Pascal Titan, but then again, they did release the Titan Black after the Titan. Plus they released the Titan XP way before anyone thought they would. Anything is possible at this point I suppose.

More money ;) and they haven't used all the cores and hbm2 is almost ready.

People would dump £1100 on a Pascal titan Black with all the cores and 16 hbm2 memory for sure.

Seems suspicious this titan is early.

Either AMD card in October is going to be a monster and flatten the 1080 or they are just churning our cards 20 to 30% faster for another £200 - £200 each time just cause they are ready.

Associate
meh I was expecting some new news :( but yea, I think the Ti could suprise people come with 12gb GDDRSX 3840 cuda cores whilst a new titan XX? could come with 16gb/24gb HBM2 and all 3840 cuda cores, and could easily sell for £1100 whilst the Ti would go for around £700

Associate
On the other hand Nvidia have absolutely no reason to do this, at least not yet.

Apart from to make bags of money? That might be somewhat of a motivation. They released the 780 a couple of months after the original Titan to make dough while the sun shines. I fully expect a geforce gtx gaming card based on the GP102 chip before the end of November. Aftermarket brands will struggle to keep up with demand. NVIDIA won't let the opportunity to make another fortune pass them by, completely regardless of what AMD do.

Last edited:
Associate
Maybe this is why Nvidia sell Titan directly, so they don't pee off the retailers when they are stuck with stock that won't sell due to the Ti :D

Caporegime
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-ti-pascal-gp102/

Heavily hinting that there is something in the pipeline. Dunno if a 1080Ti would be faster than Pascal Titan like the previous gen cards were. Would Nvidia let that happen yet again?

Also this same website 3 months before your link said this

Next up we have the GTX 1080 Ti which will allegedly feature a cut down GP100 GPU. Packing 5120 CUDA cores, 320 texture mapping units, 160 render output units and feature a base clock of 1025mhz for a total of 10.496 teraflops. The next generation Pascal GP100 based GTX Titan will allegedly feature 6144 CUDA cores, 384 texture mapping units and 192 render output units and feature a base clock of 1025mhz for a total of 12.595 teraflops.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-rumored-specs/#ixzz4GTFjF0Ei

So where is my 6144 cuda core titan then??? :p

Soldato

Knowing AMD they will release something that fights between the 1070 and the 1080 and loses vs both in one way or another.....

Its depressing being an AMD fan and supporter right now, again another release with issues, low quantity of stock, higher than expected power and prices (ok the price thing is partially due to Brexit and mostly due to gouging) the whole fiasco over the power draw over the PCIE etc....

Seems they are currently stumbling from one bad release to another, and now the 470 comes along a fraction cheaper than the 480?...

Right now it would take a miracle for AMD to release something that competes with the TitanXP, That i think will be next year in the form of large Vega and by then its far far too late, and i think small Vega will only drop in between the 1070 and 1080.

Just wish they could do something right for a change, release something to shake up the market, cos the 480 and 470 sure as hell has not, Nvidia just countered straight away with the 1060 and their brand power...

Right now it sucks to be an AMD fan, its like turning up to a party wearing last seasons fashion.

Caporegime
Maybe this is why Nvidia sell Titan directly, so they don't pee off the retailers when they are stuck with stock that won't sell due to the Ti :D

Probably cause they wont make many so AIB would be peeved at lack of components plus they dont want AIBs putting decent coolers and components on them as the next gen comes out they wont look as good.

Look at the base specs of the titan now. They overclock better than 1080s but are set at a lower base and boost speed. Its the stupid cooling holding them back.

Caporegime
Knowing AMD they will release something that fights between the 1070 and the 1080 and loses vs both in one way or another.....

Its depressing being an AMD fan and supporter right now, again another release with issues, low quantity of stock, higher than expected power and prices (ok the price thing is partially due to Brexit and mostly due to gouging) the whole fiasco over the power draw over the PCIE etc....

Seems they are currently stumbling from one bad release to another, and now the 470 comes along a fraction cheaper than the 480?...

Right now it would take a miracle for AMD to release something that competes with the TitanXP, That i think will be next year in the form of large Vega and by then its far far too late, and i think small Vega will only drop in between the 1070 and 1080.

Just wish they could do something right for a change, release something to shake up the market, cos the 480 and 470 sure as hell has not, Nvidia just countered straight away with the 1060 and their brand power...

Right now it sucks to be an AMD fan, its like turning up to a party wearing last seasons fashion.

Agreed AMD need another 4870/5870 or 7970 card again and soon.

Soldato
OP
Two months old speculation? Expected new info.

Some info online but not a lot yet . I figured it would be a decent time to start a thread.

A 1080Ti would ***** my interest to get it and a new screen to go 4k for the first time.

If the pascal titan is a good 4k card then the Ti, if it's same scenario as previous gen where the Ti beats the titan, then the 1080Ti will indeed be a 4k60 card

Associate
TI won't happen, there is likely going to be Titan X Black with full cores, Volta is just too soon and NVIDIA got no reason to release cheaper TI, they need to milk as hard as they can now.

Soldato
TI won't happen, there is likely going to be Titan X Black with full cores, Volta is just too soon and NVIDIA got no reason to release cheaper TI, they need to milk as hard as they can now.

Yeah but they know the vast majority of gamers won't be buying the TXP.

If they release a card in the middle of that range 1080-1080Ti-TXP they know people will buy them and stretch £1-200 more for a Ti rather than £4-500 more for the cost of a TXP with a similar performance.

Caporegime
More money ;) and they haven't used all the cores and hbm2 is almost ready.

People would dump £1100 on a Pascal titan Black with all the cores and 16 hbm2 memory for sure.

Seems suspicious this titan is early.

Either AMD card in October is going to be a monster and flatten the 1080 or they are just churning our cards 20 to 30% faster for another £200 - £200 each time just cause they are ready.

The most likely scenario is Volta has been pulled back a bit and will appear earlier in 2017 than initially expected. The 10nm process looks like aother fud like 20nm, so we are going to get a repeat of the 28nm scenario. with 2 generations on 1 process node. nvidia have contractual obligations to release Volta next year for certain HPC projects so a revised 16nm version is in order. When doing that they might as well re-wrok the gamign parts for 16nm anyway.

It is also very clear that nvidia were ahead of expectations with 16nm, not the BS 6 months behind MAD rubbish that certain fanboys loved to shout about. Those rumours were garbage a the time since it was known that Nviia had working pascal chips and public stated they would be shipping GP106 products back in April to select partners within DrivePX2 test units. The fact that nvidia had a Maxwell chip on a prototype drive PX2 at CES was entirely meaningless like any rational level headed person knew.

Regardless, there will be know GBM2 GP102 card, it doesn't have the memory interface and gien the HBM2 memory shortage and nvidia more lucrative Tesla products there wont be any HBM2 GPus until next year.

Caporegime
Some info online but not a lot yet . I figured it would be a decent time to start a thread.

A 1080Ti would ***** my interest to get it and a new screen to go 4k for the first time.

If the pascal titan is a good 4k card then the Ti, if it's same scenario as previous gen where the Ti beats the titan, then the 1080Ti will indeed be a 4k60 card

980ti only beat the Titan cause the titans wouldnt overclock due to bios limitations. If you were brave enough to flash you got the same 1400-1500 speed as the Ti so they were 5% faster still.

This time the Titans overclock better than the 1080s with no flashing needed so the Ti are going to need up to 2.5Ghz to beat the Titan this time round.

So you might end up with a TI some where between the 1080 and titan and knowing Nvidia somewhere between the two in price as well. ;)

Back
Top Bottom