• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Thread**

Over 48 hours since I raised a support ticket on MSI and still no response on if they allow cooler removal. I contacted their helpline and its just a voice message saying to use their online support ticket. This is my first time dealing with MSI and I am surprised at their customer service.

My 1080Ti has been sat here boxed up and will be going back today, I have no faith in MSI.

The Alphacool Eisbaer range looks like a nice AIO / custom loop compromise, good reviews by the looks of it. I might pick up just their GPU loop, use it with my existing H100i for a while and see how that goes. I could pick up a 1080FE with that and not have to wait for a month for the AIB cards to arrive.

I already have a good water loop but I need to clean it as its gone a bit wrong somehow and the flow rate is obstructed, not sure which chemical to use though as vinegar didn't seem to help at all.

Since I need a 1080ti with a waterblock which one should I go for ? is the Seahawk one going to be much better than founders with EK block ? I like that its preinstalled and has a dragon picture ... wondering why there is a DVI port on the picture though, I thought these cards didn't have one.

Card + block / backplate will come in around £680, seahawk no doubt is closer to £850. Can you justify paying more for it being prefitted and a pretty dragon on the block?

Over 48 hours since I raised a support ticket on MSI and still no response on if they allow cooler removal. I contacted their helpline and its just a voice message saying to use their online support ticket. This is my first time dealing with MSI and I am surprised at their customer service.

My 1080Ti has been sat here boxed up and will be going back today, I have no faith in MSI.
Ask on Facebook, they seem to be quicker there. I asked last year for the 1080 launch and they said it was fine.

Ordered my EVGA 1080Ti. Looking forward to getting that installed I can tell you! Wonder how much of an improvement I will see over my 4gb SLi GTX 680's. :)

Hi mate
Not a problem I'm sorry to say I've still not had word but I have an email from sometime ago from them confirming it was ok to remove the cooler on my 290x's.
I'll forward that to you when I find it.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone

Think it's only the founders that has no dvi as the Asus strix 1080ti has one according to the review.
Makes sense because the benefit of no DVI was related to exhausting heat with the FE blower I believe, which would be irrelevant for AIB cards with custom cooling.

Hi mate
Not a problem I'm sorry to say I've still not had word but I have an email from sometime ago from them confirming it was ok to remove the cooler on my 290x's.
I'll forward that to you when I find it.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks for the reply and private message, much appreciated. However I am going to return this card and buy another brand. Over 48 hours for me and longer for you to reply to a service ticket is not good practice and leaves me with little faith on their level of after care. Its my first time dealing with MSI but after this I cant see me going back.

My Gigabyte card has no warranty stickers on the screws if anyone's thinking of purcashing one to watercool, 3 year UK warranty is nice too and their turnaround is meant to be excellent.

Thanks mate, my current GPU is a Gigabyte and that too didnt have any warranty stickers and from what I know they are ok with cooler removal.

I once asked Gigabyte about cooler removal and was told not too clearly in fairness, that any removal of the cooler would void my warranty. On saying that though, I would happily remove any cooler that doesn't have a security sticker over the screws.

The Alphacool Eisbaer range looks like a nice AIO / custom loop compromise, good reviews by the looks of it. I might pick up just their GPU loop, use it with my existing H100i for a while and see how that goes. I could pick up a 1080FE with that and not have to wait for a month for the AIB cards to arrive.
You mean the Eiswolf? Don't see any plates/blocks released that are compatible with the 1080Ti yet.

I once asked Gigabyte about cooler removal and was told not too clearly in fairness, that any removal of the cooler would void my warranty. On saying that though, I would happily remove any cooler that doesn't have a security sticker over the screws.

A friend of mine was told as long as no damage was caused and the card was returned with the cooler on and intact there would be no issues.

I really wish more companies would do as EVGA have done and just allow the cooler removal for repasting, waterblocks or after market air coolers. All they have to say is any damage caused to removing the cooler will void the warranty. EVGA have gained so many sales from allowing the cooler to be removed you would have thought these other manufacturers would spot that and follow suit.

A friend of mine was told as long as no damage was caused and the card was returned with the cooler on and intact there would be no issues.

I really wish more companies would do as EVGA have done and just allow the cooler removal for repasting, waterblocks or after market air coolers. All they have to say is any damage caused to removing the cooler will void the warranty. EVGA have gained so many sales from allowing the cooler to be removed you would have thought these other manufacturers would spot that and follow suit.

Gigabyte responded on here that officially they dont allow it but dont mind you removing the coolers, as long as it comes back without a scratch on the PCB/Cooler should be fine for RMA . was in their thread posted about how they cooled their cards in response to EVGA flame-a-thon

see if they'll clear it up on this thread...

You still have to be careful though. I bought a Zotac GTX 280 which I had removed the cooler. No warranty sticker. I replaced the cooler later and used it okay for a while then it went faulty. Zotac refused to honour warranty because they could tell I removed the cooler as they use painted screws that the paint rubs off/markes when you unscrew the screws.

Yeah, the Eiswolf. Then buying the Eisbaer later to run as a combined loop. They have the Eiswolf for Titan XP, wouldn't that be compatible?

they 3d scan their cards in! and its made to pin point accuracy . i was lucky the G1 1070 block fitted the 1080 G1 version but was 90% sure it would

could cheekily ask to be a test puppet at a discounted rate?

Gigabyte responded on here that officially they dont allow it but dont mind you removing the coolers, as long as it comes back without a scratch on the PCB/Cooler should be fine for RMA . was in their thread posted about how they cooled their cards in response to EVGA flame-a-thon

see if they'll clear it up on this thread...

This to me is common sense and how all gpus warranties should be. Most gpus I have blocked have had a ton of paste and just repasting them with decent TIM at the right amount helps run cards cooler which is always better for the life of the gpu.

Back
Top Bottom